studies on pranayama

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2004
      Link outlining research underway at the Swami Vivekananda Yoga
      Research Foundation:
      http://64.233.161.104/search?
      q=cache:a1UYU0TB1YYJ:www.vkyogas.org.in/research.html+pranayama+physio
      logy+medical+study&hl=en

      -----

      The Effect of Rhythmic Breathing on Blood Pressure in Hypertensive
      Adults
      http://64.233.161.104/search?
      q=cache:0Ofhia9bPbsJ:web.clas.ufl.edu/CLAS/jur/0003/chodzinskipaper.ht
      ml+pranayama+physiology+medical+study&hl=en

      -----

      EFFECT OF PRANAYAMA AND YOGA ON BONE METABOLISM IN NORMAL HEALTHY
      VOLUNTEERS.KVV Prasad, P Sitarama Raju, Madhavi Sunitha, M Venkata
      Reddy And KJRMurthy. JEPonline. 2004;7(1):57-62.
      http://www.asep.org/FLDR/Jep/Doc/Feb2004/prasadv2.pdf
      or, try: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:-
      Guh234DumQJ:www.asep.org/FLDR/Jep/Doc/Feb2004/prasadv2.pdf+pranayama+p
      hysiology&hl=en

      -----

      http://www.yogasite.com/ytn3.html#2

      "Yoga breathing through a particular nostril increases spatial memory
      scores without lateralized effects," by Naveen KV; Nagarathna R;
      Nagendra HR; Telles S., of the Vivekananda Kendra Yoga Research
      Foundation, Bangalore, India, in Psychol Rep, 1997 Oct, 81:2, 555-61.
      http://www.yogasite.com/research1.html#breathing

      "Pranayama increases grip strength without lateralized effects,"
      Raghuraj P; Nagarathna R; Nagendra HR; Telles S of the Vivekananda
      Kendra Yoga Research Foundation, Bangalore, India, in the Indian J
      Physiol Pharmacol, 1997 Apr, 41:2, 129-33.
      http://www.yogasite.com/research1.html#pranayama

      -----
      Below is an excerpt from a transcription of an
      informal discussion between Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati
      and a group of doctors and psychiatrists took place in Bombay
      in August 1994. The main topics discussed were...
      problems of scientific method in yoga research, the need for yoga
      training in education and medical colleges, and a holistic view of
      yogas contribution to modern medicine.

      Dr. Shrikrishna speaks below:

      After my medical training I did a PhD on research into the effects of
      pranayama on the general body system and brain function, and it
      raised questions which I have not yet solved. If I teach the practice
      of kapalbhati to 10 people, what is the standardised way of looking
      at it? That everyone should do about 120 strokes per minute? Is that
      a standardised technique? For me each individual is different, each
      lung capacity is different, each vital capacity is different. Do I
      adjust the technique to that person's capacity?

      If I ask a person with a normal basal breathing rate of about 20 to
      breathe about 10 times a minute, it is 50 percent less than normal
      for him. But for those whose basal breathing rate is about 15 or 14
      or even 12, for them to breathe to times per minute is not much less.
      So, we can say that everyone should do about 120 strokes per minute
      and then measure the effect, but it puts a different load on
      different people and, therefore, the effects are going to be
      different. So, which way should I look at it? Should I look at it
      from the standardised point of view? If a person has a basal. heart
      rate of about 70, it should increase to about 100, that is an
      acceptable limit. But if a person with a heart rate of 8o also
      reaches too, then are they in the same category?

      We are talking in terms of statistical analysis which means
      standardisation. In standardisation the main problem is that all the
      phenomenon are subjective. When we talk about lung capacity or blood
      gas analysis or blood pressure, it is still within our reach, but
      when we talk about pratyahara or concentration, questions arise. What
      is attention? What is awareness? What is concentration? How can we
      say that concentration or attention are different from awareness? We
      have to be precise and precision in that kind of activity becomes
      extremely difficult.

      http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:oHVphV-
      gFWkJ:www.yogamag.net/archives/1995/6nov95/yogpsy.shtml+pranayama+phys
      iology+medical+study&hl=en