4-4-8 Pranayama for cleansing the body

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2004
      From our web site, Meditation Station,
      this breathing technique has proven to be excellent for physical
      health. Many have also found it to be wonder-full mentally and
      emotionally as well. Enjoy!

      The 4-4-8 Pranayama Technique

      Position yourself in your most comfortable meditation posture. Relax
      your body, mind, and emotions. Witness the way you are breathing. As
      you can see, you are hardly inhaling or exhaling at all. Maybe the air
      is only going 2 or 3 inches down into your chest and only 2 or 3
      inches out from your nose. Every cell in your body is nourished by
      oxygen and weak inhalations deny us the energy supplying air we need.
      Similarly, our feeble exhalations don't allow us to expel the
      poisonous gasses lying deep in our lungs. This is why we often feel
      run down, crabby, and sleepy. The purpose of this technique is to
      cleanse your body, mind, emotions, and spirit by taking in a healthy,
      therapeutic dose of oxygen and ridding yourself of carbon monoxide,
      carbon dioxide, and other impurities. You are going to achieve this
      purification by totally filling and completely emptying your lungs.
      The 4 - 4 - 8 Pranayama (breathing technique) will achieve a
      tremendous cleansing and revitalization throughout your entire body.
      Enhanced clarity of thought and uplifted emotions are always
      byproducts of this classic method.

      Inhale deeply for 4 units of time. Fill your lungs completely, so you
      can see and feel your abdomen distend. Retain your breath for the
      count of 4 and then exhale for the count of 8. Any rhythm that you
      naturally establish is the right one for you, so if your units are 4
      one second units of time for inhaling, 4 of retention and 8 seconds
      for exhaling, that's fine. You can't do this wrong.

      When you inhale for a count of 4, visualize all divine and healthy
      qualities coming to you. See and feel yourself inhaling purity,
      sweetness, gentleness, health, vitality, tranquility, and so on. While
      retaining your breath for the count of 4, visualize all these
      attributes filling every cell in your body. Now exhale all impurities
      and un-divine qualities for a count of 8. See and feel pain, anger,
      illness, ignorance, impatience, and so on, leave you.

      As with many pranayama techniques, it is recommended that you do it
      for either 3 sets of 12 repetitions each, or 12 sets of 12
      repetitions. Each cycle consists of inhaling for 4 units of time,
      retaining 4 and exhaling 8. As you get into a rhythm, it will become
      easy and appropriate to see and feel yourself as pure, filled with
      light, energy, and love.

      Although this meditation technique is specifically designed as a
      healthy cleansing, many have found it to be a perfect technique to use
      as their primary meditation method. As with all meditation techniques,
      it is far better to do them then simply to read about them. Do this
      method, experience its' results and achieve Knowledge, Consciousness,
      Bliss, and Peace and live happily ever after.