Emotions and Visualization

    Message 1 of 197 , Sep 14, 2001
      Emotions and Visualization<br>When you witness
      yourself being carried away by your emotional reactivity,
      two "antidotes" are to visualize your self having the
      opposite emotion. For example, if you see your self being
      devoured by sadness, actually sit in meditation and
      picture yourself as how you appear when you are happy.
      This is a practical application of the biblical
      direction that translates into "As you see yourself, so
      shall you be". The other technique is to realize that
      even a hurricane has an eye that is in its center
      where all is still and unaffected by the turbulence
      swirling around it. So in this visualization, see yourself
      as being in the unmoving silent center. You will be
      not just in the center of the storm of emotions, but
      in the center of all the dualities of good/bad,
      up/down, love/hate, and so on. We are truly at the center
      of the universe at every moment. Our mind confuses
      us to make us think we are stuck on one side of the
      dualities. Sometimes our body follows suit, by being tense,
      shaking, pain, etc., and our emotions chime in with
      crying, grief, depression, etc. Visualize yourself as
      unaffected and impervious to these ever-changing temporary
      states and more and more you will elevate, transcend
      them, and experience the eternal essence, the pure
      consciousness that is your real Self. You are not your body,
      you are not your emotions, you are not your mind. You
      are the Witness to their changes. If you are unable
      to reach this essence by visualization, perhaps that
      is not the meditation technique that is the best for
      you. Try mantra, breathing methods, bodily awareness,
      and so on. Persevere. Meditate. You will learn from
      your "failures" as well as your great visions.
    • eveneon
      Message 197 of 197 , Jun 9 6:25 AM
        wrote:
        me.... I am so glad for