Re: [Meditation Society of America] Question about severe leg, feet, & hand cramping

  • sandeep
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2004

      The sitting posture and specially the Lotus posture, does produce cramps for the new practioners.

      If legs are getting cramped, in the same sitting posture, extend your legs on the floor, ankles together, press the feet forward and then take it back-wards.

      Keep doing for few minutes.

      After that, ankles together, rotate both the feet, clock-wise.

      And then anti-clockwise.

      To do till the leg/feet cramps ease off.

      For the cramps in the hand, sitting posture (not necessarily Lotus posture), extend arms, make fists, keep fists together, rotate fists clock-wise and then anti-clockwise.

      Then keeping fingers closed and extended (like while saluting, or like the famous karate chop), at shoulder-lever, extend your arms sideways.

      Then bring the tips of your extended arms (extended sideways) in an arc and touch the spot where your neck and shoulders meet (sides of your neck-shoulder junction).

      So it will be like a V shape, with both your elbows thrust out sideways and your palm curving and your fingers touching either side-junction of the neck and the shoulder.

      Now do not let the finger lose the touch of the neck-shoulder junction and trying to get your elbows to touch each other, in front of you.

      And now keep rotating the elbows clockwise.

      That is, .........the fingers remain rooted to their point, the elbows touch each other, go round in an arc back to the extended side positions, goes back, goes below and comes up in front to meet together again.

      All along the fingers do not shift at all, just the elbows moving and the rotation taking place at the shoulder-ball & socket joint.

      In the beginning, you will find it very difficult to get the elbows to touch each other, or the full the arc to be made.

      You will also find your neck muscles, back muscles getting extended and thus aching.

      Do it as much as you can.

      Then reverse the direction of the rotation of the elbows.

      Apart from cramps, this elbow rotation is also very good for cervical issues and spondilitis issues.