Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 1013

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24 1:55 PM
      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Bardsley"
      <bardsley@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi Bob,
      > >
      > > This is an interesting post but I have to say that I think the
      idea that
      > > grass gives you munchies makes you fat is a little apocryphal.
      Grass can
      > > certainly give you munchies, but obesity is no more prevalent
      among grass
      > > users than in the general population, as far as I can tell.
      > >
      > > Grant.
      >
      > In addition, there's an ancient tradition of cannabis use as an
      adjunct to
      > meditation and devotional practices in India. Case-in-point, the shakta
      > and vaishnava travelling mistrels known as the Bauls use cannabis in
      > conjuction with their sadhana. Also, Ramakrishna kept a store of
      cannabis
      > for the wandering sadhus who visited, and he used cannabis himself
      > as part of his smoking mixture.
      >
      > --jody.

      Yo guys,
      You're preaching to the choir. If asked if I had a religion, I'd have
      to say that it is Rastafarianism. And although I don't think ganga use
      alone can duplicate the revelations meditation affords, I have no
      doubt whatsoever that it can bring overstanding to many in a safer way
      than any other so-called drug. And I don't even classify it as a
      "drug". As a Rasta (although for decades a non-smoking of any kind
      one), I know it to be a natural God-created herb, and respect it as
      being biblically pointed to as a vehicle (for some) for
      consciousness-expanded spiritual states of being. As an RN, I
      recognize it as a potentially beneficial healing substance for many
      dis-eases and conditions. And as a citizen, I think it is outrageous
      that there are thousands of our brothers and sisters in jail right now
      for its use, sale, or possession. And at least semi-seriously, I also
      have no doubt that the munchies can lead to putting on weight. But
      since that is one of the biggest drawbacks I see about ganga, I'd have
      to say that it is possibly the least harmful thing you can deal with
      that causes changes in your consciousness.

      As a meditator, I feel that for some,it can help their meditation. And
      for others, it can hinder their meditation. But as with many things
      dealing with your own body/mind/emotions/etc, I feel we should be free
      to be able to either do it or not as we decide. And certainly if it is
      for religious use, it must be legalized. BTW, just a few days ago,
      Native American church members were again granted their use of peyote
      as being legal. Anyway, to get back to meditation, I think that if
      everyone on earth took a toke of the best ganga in the world and gave
      the cummulative "high" to an experienced meditator, it wouldn't be
      even a drop in the ocean of experiental consciousness that the
      meditator has available to them. And even at "only" $250 an ounce, the
      meditator still makes out far better economically without the ganga.
      After all, when one has everything that's in, out, on, above, and
      below the pot, what real benefit is pot?:-)

      Peace and blessings,
      I and I