Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 1013

  • Grant Bardsley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2004
      Hi Bob,

      This is an interesting post but I have to say that I think the idea that
      grass gives you munchies makes you fat is a little apocryphal. Grass can
      certainly give you munchies, but obesity is no more prevalent among grass
      users than in the general population, as far as I can tell.

      Grant.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Bardsley" <bardsley@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Bob,
        >
        > This is an interesting post but I have to say that I think the idea that
        > grass gives you munchies makes you fat is a little apocryphal. Grass can
        > certainly give you munchies, but obesity is no more prevalent among grass
        > users than in the general population, as far as I can tell.
        >
        > Grant.

        In addition, there's an ancient tradition of cannabis use as an adjunct to
        meditation and devotional practices in India. Case-in-point, the shakta
        and vaishnava travelling mistrels known as the Bauls use cannabis in
        conjuction with their sadhana. Also, Ramakrishna kept a store of cannabis
        for the wandering sadhus who visited, and he used cannabis himself
        as part of his smoking mixture.

        --jody.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24, 2004
          <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Bardsley"
          <bardsley@c...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi Bob,
          > >
          > > This is an interesting post but I have to say that I think the
          idea that
          > > grass gives you munchies makes you fat is a little apocryphal.
          Grass can
          > > certainly give you munchies, but obesity is no more prevalent
          among grass
          > > users than in the general population, as far as I can tell.
          > >
          > > Grant.
          >
          > In addition, there's an ancient tradition of cannabis use as an
          adjunct to
          > meditation and devotional practices in India. Case-in-point, the shakta
          > and vaishnava travelling mistrels known as the Bauls use cannabis in
          > conjuction with their sadhana. Also, Ramakrishna kept a store of
          cannabis
          > for the wandering sadhus who visited, and he used cannabis himself
          > as part of his smoking mixture.
          >
          > --jody.

          Yo guys,
          You're preaching to the choir. If asked if I had a religion, I'd have
          to say that it is Rastafarianism. And although I don't think ganga use
          alone can duplicate the revelations meditation affords, I have no
          doubt whatsoever that it can bring overstanding to many in a safer way
          than any other so-called drug. And I don't even classify it as a
          "drug". As a Rasta (although for decades a non-smoking of any kind
          one), I know it to be a natural God-created herb, and respect it as
          being biblically pointed to as a vehicle (for some) for
          consciousness-expanded spiritual states of being. As an RN, I
          recognize it as a potentially beneficial healing substance for many
          dis-eases and conditions. And as a citizen, I think it is outrageous
          that there are thousands of our brothers and sisters in jail right now
          for its use, sale, or possession. And at least semi-seriously, I also
          have no doubt that the munchies can lead to putting on weight. But
          since that is one of the biggest drawbacks I see about ganga, I'd have
          to say that it is possibly the least harmful thing you can deal with
          that causes changes in your consciousness.

          As a meditator, I feel that for some,it can help their meditation. And
          for others, it can hinder their meditation. But as with many things
          dealing with your own body/mind/emotions/etc, I feel we should be free
          to be able to either do it or not as we decide. And certainly if it is
          for religious use, it must be legalized. BTW, just a few days ago,
          Native American church members were again granted their use of peyote
          as being legal. Anyway, to get back to meditation, I think that if
          everyone on earth took a toke of the best ganga in the world and gave
          the cummulative "high" to an experienced meditator, it wouldn't be
          even a drop in the ocean of experiental consciousness that the
          meditator has available to them. And even at "only" $250 an ounce, the
          meditator still makes out far better economically without the ganga.
          After all, when one has everything that's in, out, on, above, and
          below the pot, what real benefit is pot?:-)

          Peace and blessings,
          I and I