About Drugs and Meditation /T and A

  • Jason Fishman
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 19, 2004
      Sorry about the title change I just couldn't help the opportunity :-)

      As Tom says Anna, thoughts pop up out of nowhere sometimes and they do hold a certain power over the body and it's defenses. But often times those thoughts are truly false, there is really nothing wrong, many times I feel it comming from people around me. Although it has taken years to divy up what thoughts I would like to address and which are discarded, my ex wife still invokes certain thoughts that build up to anxious thoughts. I have seen this pattern clearly with another women that my presence did the same to as well. Much like the suns rays only have the strength over closer distances, so does the waves of mind. Those that are closest to us often pick up and send signals to us which makes it tough to decifer which ones are actually eminating from your though patterns and someone elses. Some people are highly atune to these patterns and those are the ones that tend to suffer more these symptoms then others that seem quite oblivious.

      I like the little man idea Tom used but most often there are no centrally located thoughts being picked up on, being alone, facing your fearful thoughts directly and focusing on what you can use and what you cannot is the best method.

      I often used to have the dreeds in hospital settings. When my children were born it was a nightmare up till the powerful flush of the experience of birth, when everything became OK. I see the pattern much clearer now and can utilize thoughts in a constructive way, instead of a destructive (self and other) way.

      You mentioned being a nurse and that occupation is prime burn out, especially for those more in tune with the emotions around them. My ex is also a nurse and not so oddly enough, takes clonozapam when needed to smooth out the emotional rush from all the folks struggling with ailments and fears. I just found this out today actually (about the meds) as we had a discussion on it, provoked by your e-mail. The good news for you is, you can sort it out, there are subtle control mechs in place that can make things much smoother for you. I hope you can take some time to do that!

      Peace and Love

      Anna Cardinal <kalinitkadrimos@...> wrote:
      Tom,
      Thank you for great information.
      This is what concerns me, I believe 15 years of this toxin is possibley irreversible.
      I am working very hard at "being surpremely happy in thought", and to just tell the negative stuff that starts swirling around in our minds, to go away. It has no true power over us.  We are protected all the time, even unaware, and even when we do not consciosly asks.
      Peace and Agape,
      Anna

      tom flou <tom@...> wrote:

      Comments to Anna�s and Jason�s mail:

      I would like to offer my way of looking at this.

      To make it short and simple: Anxiety comes in many disguises

      with a broad spectrum of symptoms from mild situation-caused

      discomfort trough chronic anxiety disorder to full blown panic,

      where the person suffering is convinced of imminent death.

      There is no real danger involved, but it is very difficult for the sufferer to grasp,

      as this fact is in gross contradiction to her very direct experience;

      though the relative harmlessness can be perceived in between attacks.

      I presume it all starts with a body feeling or an emotion that the mind

      interprets as a sign of threat to the body or the self-esteem of the person.

      Now, we all experiences this from time to time but are able to stop it from escalating,

      whence the candidate for anxiety disorder has lost this brake and are thus incapable

      of stopping the process. This gives rise to new emotional responses that can

      aggravate the initial body feeling, give rise to muscular tensions,

      release of stress hormones and mental catastrophe interpretations.

      A circulus virtuosus is set in motion.

      The bodily symptoms are often perceived very real, giving rise to unnecessary,

      extensive and expensive medical investigations of internal organs.

      The symptoms may dominate in the chest region, the abdomen or in various

      muscle groups but the basic feeling is that there is something in the body

      that is very wrong, that should not be there.

      Something I will not accept the way it is.

      So I am fighting it. Will get rid of it.

      And this very fight is the heart of the problem.

      In reality there is no other problem.

      Anxious persons often get the advice from friends and even from therapists,

      that they need to stop thinking these worrying thoughts,

      but as the fact is, that we have no control over which thoughts appear in our minds,

      this advice is impossible to practice and is therefore an additional,

      not needed burden for the anxious person.

      There is something to be done, though.

      If we practice to examine the thoughts that appear and question their

      truth-value before we accept them.

      If we avoid identification with them, they lose their force over us.

      So the fear is a part of the individual suvival mekanism.

      Understood and acceptet as such it is not a problem.

      The fear of the fear, is the problem.

      I like to think of a little man sitting in the tunnel to the thought factory.

      He is in charge of which thoughts to send up to �us�

      but we have no control over him.

      He is not malicious, though.

      He just notice which kind of thoughts we prefer, that is,

      which thoughts we give attention and time to.

      These thoughts he sends up again and again presuming we like them.

      If he should notice that we start to discard a certain type of thoughts,

      their frequency will diminish. That�s the control we can have.

      And as Jason says: The way out of anxiety is through it.

      That is, it has to be accepted, not avoided, and once it is accepted

      and understood - surrendered to - it is no more.

      This thought modification is the essence of cognitive psychotherapy,

      and here is help to be found within the medical system.

      I am sure that meditation can be very helpful in quieting the mind

      and learning to pay attention to what�s going on there.

      Observing it from the "outside" in a manner of speaking.

      I also like Byron Katies simple method for �proofreading� of thoughts.

      Clonazepam is a drug in the group of medications called Bensodiazepines,

      used for the treatment of anxiety, epilepsy, sleep disorders and muscular tension.

      These drugs have no curing potential and can only be used

      for short duration symptom relief (Other than epilepsy).

      They are addictive, but not impossible to get rid of.

      If used for a long time, they have to be discontinued slowly

      and supportively and it is very important that the underlying

      anxiety- producing thought patterns are realized and corrected,

      otherwise the patient is back where she started.

      Bensodiazepines are not known to cause permanent brain damage.

      Cheers

      Tom.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • sandeep
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 19, 2004

        Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2004 4:05 AM
        Subject: Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: About Drugs and Meditation

        Dear Sandeep,
        Thank you for your reply.
        The purpose of the medication was after a complete and total hysterectomy in l988, I began having really bad panick attacks, and the DX with PTSD,
        As a nurse I know I should have only been on it short term, and then weaned off, but none of the military doc's wanted to handle that, and now I still cannot convince somenone to try.Most believe in the profession it is the equivalent of coming off Heroin.
        I have got it sometimes to almost 0, but after a few days, you have a sense of you are gong to lose it. It in itself is a nightmare, and I believe God does not want this toxin in my body anymore.
        How do I research the methods you suggested?

        ---------

        Hi Anna,

        Pranayam is one of the components of Yoga, which as mentioned earlier,..... involves breathing.

        There are 5-6 different Pranayams, the basic being KapilBhatti and Avlong-Velong.

        I suspected that the medication that you were taking was to address panic attacks and or depression and KB and A-V is very effective for this.

        Unlike the other components of Yoga, Pranayams do not involve esoteric body postures or contortions.

        And you cannot do them "wrong".:-)

        If what you are doing is "incorrect", the effectiveness is that much reduced.

        That's all.

        The key aspect for doing all Pranayams is in the sitting position and for the the spine to be straight.

        They are to be done preferably at dawn, preferably out in the open, and on an empty stomach, sitting in the Lotus Position.

        If out in the open is not an option, sit within the house with open windows or sit on the balcony.

        Basically where you are able to freely access fresh clean air.

        Empty stomach (both empty bowels and empty of any intake)ensures that breathing will deep.

        The time at dawn, or early morning is the best time to do Pranayams.

        Sitting in the Lotus position automatically ensures the straightened spine.

        The Lotus Position is the cross-legged sitting position, where the heel of one leg rests on the thigh of the other and the vice versa.

        Now if Lotus position is difficult, try it for whatever time possible.

        If impossible, just sit in the normal sitting position with your folded legs resting on the ground, in front of you.

        In Lotus Position, your spine is automatically straight, so you don't have to bother trying to remember to keep your spine straight.

        In the other sitting position, there is a possibility to slouch (after some time), so if you find yourself slouching, just make your spine straight again.

        Doing Pranayama with a slouched spine, does not harm you.

        It just does not benefit you as much as is possible.

        So spine straight, sitting posture, eyes closed, ..............the two Pranayams.

        KapilBhatti

        Spine straight, sitting posture (Lotus or cross-legged), eyes closed, the back of your hands resting on your knees,... the index finger touching your thumb to form a closed circle.

        KapilBhatti,......... involves the taking in your breath, through both the nostrils, as deeply as possible, (your chest should fill out, you should feel your ribs expanding) and then blowing out the breath again through both the nostrils as forcefully as you can.

        Throw out the whole of the intake breath.

        While you are throwing out the breath, pull your stomach in, as far back as possible.

        So breath in,....... stomach out.

        Breath out...........stomach in.

        Keep doing this, till a natural rhythm is established.

        After this rhythm is established, increase the rapidity.

        So deep breaths going in and out while simultaneously stomach going out and in(reverse direction to the breath).

        Do it slowly in the beginning but there shoud be No gaps between one "breath-in/stomach out-breathout/stomach in",.............and the next set.

        So spine straight, rapid "sets" of this breathing-stomach movements.

        In the attempt to increase the rapidity, don't make your breaths shallow.

        Deep, chest-filling rib-expanding inhalations and then full "snorty" exhalations.

        Your exhalations must be making noises, just like a snorting horse, (if you have ever stood next to a horse)

        Mucus may come out of the nostrils.

        Ignore it or wipe it away, if bothering you.

        And your stomach must be pulled in, as much as far back as possible.

        (For adept practioners, doing Pranayams over years, the shape of the spine is visible to an observer, when the stomach is pulled in.)

        When the natural rhythm is established, you will find your full upper torso also moving in that rhythm.

        In the begining, you will find, after maybe just 60 seconds, you are out of breath.

        Stop and relax.

        Breath as you normally do.

        And then get back to KapilBhatti.

        For the first week, if you are able to do 15-20 KapilBhatti(s) per minute, you are dong fine.

        Finally, maybe within 2-3 weeks, you will doing 45-60 KapilBhatti per minute.

        Again, for the first week, if you can do 2-3 mins of Kapil Bhatti(s), you are doing fine.

        Finally you will doing for 10 mins.

        10 mins of KapilBhatti, at the rate of 60 per minute.

        That's all you have to do, around 600 KapilBhattis over a 10 mins duration, per day.

        The key is not to strain, not to bother with the minor pains here and there and as soon as you feel you are panting, to stop and take a break.

        Break does not mean getting up from your Lotus position or sitting position.

        Just stop doing KapilBhatti, for few moments.

        And then get back to it.

        Once you have finished KapilBhatti for the day, ....................for few moments just remain in the sitting position, eyes closed, .......observe whatever is the experience happening in the moment.

        Don't disparage the experience ("been this, done this"), ..........don't invest in the experience.

        Just observe.

        And after some time (whatever, you feel like) proceed to Avlong-Velong.

        If you feel like, you may like to wipe your face with a cloth, clean the nostrils areas.

        If knees/ legs are aching for having sat for 10 mins, .........remain sitting stretch out your legs, ankles together, rotate both your ankles clockwise, and then anti-clockwise.

        Proceed to come back to cross-legged sitting position and start Avlong-Velong.

        Avlong-Velong

        Same sitting position, spine straight, eyes closed.
        Here the right hand will be used, so hands not resting on the knees.

        With the thumb of your right hand, close your right nostril and inhale deeply through your left nostril.

        With the index finger of the right hand, close the left nostril, open thumb and exhale through the right nostril.

        After full exhalation, breathe in through the right nostril(the left  nostril still remains closed with the index finger).
        After full inhalation, again close the right nostril with your right thumb , open your index finger and  exhale through the left nostril.

        In essence, you are breathing in through one nostril and breathing out through the other nostril.

        And then the reverse flow.

        Deep inhalation, deep full exhalations, (like in KapilBhatti, except that here there is no stomach movement and only one nostril used at a time)

        You will find the breathing is smooth through one nostril, through the other it is not.

        It is not clear a nasal passage, at all.

        This imbalance is the indication of the imbalance in the organism.

        Keep going, irrespective of the blocked nasal passage, force the breath through the blacked nasal.

        And if you are getting breathless,(because of having to force through the blocked passage),............... stop, .........breathe normally through both nostrils.

        And then back to A-V.

        Keep doing, again 15-20 per min, going uptil 60 per min, in 2-3 weeks time.

        Again, 2-3 mins per day of Avlong-Velong, going up to 10 mins in 2-3 weeks time.

        In 2-3 weeks time, you will notice perfect balance in the breathing through either nasal passage.

        The organism is on it's way to balance.

        So spine straight, eyes closed, deep breathing in-out through alternate nostrils.

        After, you have finished A-V for the day, once again, remain in observation, eyes closed.

        Just this, 10 mins of KapilBhatti (continuously) and 10 mins of Avlong-Velong (continuously).

        If you are doing 5 mins of each continuously in 2-3 weeks time, you are doing great.

        A-V can be done, at any time through out the day.

        Waiting for someone at the bus stand, traveling in a train/flight, sensing a pending stressful situation coming up (aka, going in for a meeting with long term impacts on one's life), ..............

        ..............an impending panic attack (after 15 years, you know the tell-tale signs of an attack coming up, isn't it),..

        ..just sit somewhere (If cross legged/Lotus position seems inappropriate for you in a public place, sit on a chair as you normally do, just ensure the spine is straight), and do A-V.

        Early morning when you are doing the A-V, keep your eyes closed.

        If you are doing A-V at any other time or at a public place and you feel uncomfortable (or even anxious, fearful) to close your eyes, do A-V with eyes open.

        Reading a book, reading emails, seeing TV, do A-V.

        Brhami Pranayam Or Ohm Pranayam

        At dawn/early morning,......... suggest finish of KapilBatti and A-V, with Brhami Pranayam.

        Same sitting position, eyes closed, spine straight, block both your ears with each your thumbs.

        Push the thumb in, so that hearing is effectively blocked.(But please do not pierce through your ear drums)

        The index fingers of both hands rest on the forehead, the other 3 fingers lightly rest on the closed eyelids.

        Take a deep breath, feeling it going it down to the hara region (below the belly button)

        And while exhaling,..... chant Ohm

        The sound Ohm is actually 3 syllables.

        Aaa-----Ouuuu-------------Mmmmmmm.

        The Mmmmm syllable should be as much prolonged as possible, relative to the other two syllable.

        For this, lightly clench your teeth and touch the tongue to your upper palette.

        The sound will automatically become a humming Mmmmmmmmm.

        So no seeing, no hearing, just the internal resonance of the Mmmmmmmmm, going on.

        After exhalation is over, the huming Mmmmmmmm will also be over.

        The Silence.

        Deeply inhale and the next Ohm.

        When you are doing the Ohm(s), you will find after some time, that you have started pressing your closed eye-lids.

        Release the pressue, ..........the finger must lightly rest on the closed eye-lids.

        Do 11, 21 or 101 Ohms.

        And then drop your body on the grass or carpet or the floor.(use a bed-cover/blanket if bare floor)

        Spread your legs and your hands, and completely loosen your entire body, while lying on your back.

        Eyes closed, breath evenly and give up everything.

        Your body, your mind, your panics, your issues, ..............give up "Anna".

        Become like a corpse (Shav)

        That is why this is called Shavasan.

        Remain like this, for whatever time you feel like.

        And then get up and get back to tackling the world.:-)

        This entire process, KapilBhatti+A-V+Ohm+Shavasan, is not more than 35-40 mins.

        Now your medications.

        Continue with whatever dosage you have been taking.

        However I think, rather than routine, its become SOS, isn't it?

        That is, when you notice those subtle signs, you reach for the chemicals.

        While doing the Pranayams, if you notice the need to take the chemical, by all means do so.

        So don't alter anything, just because some email address has shown you how to do Pranayam:-)

        Just notice, over a period of 4 weeks of Pranayams, the increasing gaps in the appearing of those subtle signs indicating an onset of a panic attack.

        And notice the occasion, when sensing the subtle signs, you went into Pranayam, rather than reaching for the chemical.

        Now whether this happens in 4 weeks time, or 4 months time, don't be worried.

        After all, a habit of 15 years is being de-habitated.

        And also don't get disheartened that you have been doing Pranayams for such a long time and here Anna again succumbed to the chemical.

        It WILL happen.

        Have fun and if you want to seek any clarifications, feel free to scream.

        And if you feel like, share your experience, after doing the Pranayams say for 7 days.

      • Jason Fishman
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 20, 2004
          Great stuff San!

          I have the sheet I hand out to my meditation class that has these steps almost exactly like you've explained them here, with some minor differences.

          I don't have labels (like Pranayams), it's just ordered phase 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Six being the completetion of the class. I also don't have a count and in every class someone tends to ask questions like.. How long? How many breathes per minute? and I say things like whatever is comfortable. Usually by the end of each phase people are in tune to a natural rythm and I used to take count which was around 50-60. It's really just a naturally occuring progression. Some find they can't do it at the begining other find it easy, those that stick with it are all pretty much at the same level when done, without much instruction. Not oddly enough, there is an about 10-20 percent drop out rate after the first or second class. "I just don't have the time and or energy for such rituals" are typical responses.

          Peace and Love

[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • tom flou
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 20, 2004
            Subject: Re: About Drugs and Meditation

            > Tom,
            > Thank you for
            great information.
            > This is what concerns me, I believe 15 years of this
            toxin is possibley irreversible.

            This is a very natural worry that you can notice when it enters your mentation.
            The thought itself is not unreasonable, but you need to investigate its plausibility.
            Promoting it into a belief is a problem, then you are hooked on it,
            - until you don't believe it anymore.
            (The little man I talked about, keeps sending upp all the thoughts he think
            you need to support your current belief-system ;-)
            I, for one, do not believe it is a fact.
            I have a friend who for many years has taken Clonazepam for epilepsy.
            If he forgets to take it, he is at risk of getting an epileptic seizure,
            but he does not miss the drug in any other way - rather, he feels less tired without it.
            But when you discontinue the drug, your underlying anxiety emerges again.
            This can be mistaken for withdrawal symptoms.
            In fact this is what you choose to believe,
            according to your self-proclaimed belief-system ;-)

            >I am
            working very hard at "being surpremely happy in thought",

            All this hard work does nothing but draining your energy, Anna.
            It cannot be 'done'.
            The happiest you can get, is when you let go of all thoughts :-)
            Start with investigating the truth-value of all emerging thoughts.
            Write them down as they appear.
            Then, ask yourself, one by one, if you can be really certain, they are true.
            If not, discard them. (Once you realize they are lies, you don´t want them anyway)
            It takes some doing and repetition. Don't blame yourself, if they emerge again.
            This part is beyond your control.

            >and to just tell the negative stuff that starts
            swirling around in our minds, to go away.
            >It has no true power over
            us.  We are protected all the time, even unaware,
            >and even when we
            do not consciosly asks.

            Yes! In reality there are no problems. Problems are caused by the mind,
            suggesting uninvestigated, unverified hypothesis, we chose to believe in.

            >Peace and Agape,
            >Anna

            You too!
            Tom

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 20, 2004
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tom flou"
              <tom@f...> wrote:
              > > Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
              > > From: Anna Cardinal <kalinitkadrimos@y...>
              > > Subject: Re: About Drugs and Meditation
              >
              > > Tom,
              > > Thank you for great information.
              > > This is what concerns me, I believe 15 years of this toxin is
              possibley irreversible.

              > This is a very natural worry that you can notice when it enters your
              mentation.
              > The thought itself is not unreasonable, but you need to investigate
              > its plausibility.
              > Promoting it into a belief is a problem, then you are hooked on it,
              > - until you don't believe it anymore.
              > (The little man I talked about, keeps sending upp all the thoughts
              he think
              > you need to support your current belief-system ;-)
              > I, for one, do not believe it is a fact.

              Well, one can believe that there is no moon in the sky, no other
              living people, horses that talk, and other similar things, but it is a
              FACT that there is a brutal physical, emotional, and mental result if
              you are not weaned off of a benzodiazepine medication medically
              appropriately. You will have "REAL" problems that may take weeks or
              even months to come on, but when they do, and they will, whether you
              "believe" it or not, ... you'll then understand why many doctors Anna
              has seen refuse to even get involved with the process. But, there are
              physicians who can help getting off of these meds. It's a matter of
              finding them.

              > I have a friend who for many years has taken Clonazepam for epilepsy.
              > If he forgets to take it, he is at risk of getting an epileptic
              seizure,
              > but he does not miss the drug in any other way - rather, he feels
              less tired without it.
              > But when you discontinue the drug, your underlying anxiety emerges
              again.
              > This can be mistaken for withdrawal symptoms.

              No - you WILL experience withdrawal symptoms. And they are heavy-duty
              and can be life threatening.

              > In fact this is what you choose to believe,
              > according to your self-proclaimed belief-system ;-)

              No, all of medical knowledge will point to this as reality - not a
              "belief system". Thinking they are just a choice that can be ignored
              is a potentially dangerous "self-proclaimed belief-system".

              > >I am working very hard at "being surpremely happy in thought",
              >
              > All this hard work does nothing but draining your energy, Anna.
              > It cannot be 'done'.

              Well, there are dozens of studies that demonstrate that "being
              surpremely happy in thought" is very much more beneficial to healing,
              organ-system function, mood, and so on, than is just letting your
              thoughts run wild and/or stay in negativity.

              > The happiest you can get, is when you let go of all thoughts :-)
              > Start with investigating the truth-value of all emerging thoughts.
              > Write them down as they appear.
              > Then, ask yourself, one by one, if you can be really certain, they
              are true.
              > If not, discard them. (Once you realize they are lies, you don´t
              want them anyway)
              > It takes some doing and repetition. Don't blame yourself, if they
              emerge again.
              > This part is beyond your control.
              >
              > >and to just tell the negative stuff that starts swirling around in
              our minds, to go away.
              > >It has no true power over us. We are protected all the time, even
              unaware,
              > >and even when we do not consciosly asks.
              >
              > Yes! In reality there are no problems.

              That's quite a judgement call, and I think that this statement itself
              is leaning towards magical thinking, and being in denial, and a whole
              bunch of other "problems".

              > Problems are caused by the mind,

              and the body, and other people, and stress, and other things that on
              our dualistic reality extistence level are "real".

              > suggesting uninvestigated, unverified hypothesis, we chose to
              believe in.

              Like much of what you have shared here. I'm sure you have good
              intentions, but medically I think you mistaken, and it would be a
              disaster to follow the path you are pointing to.

              > >Peace and Agape,
              > >Anna
              >
              > You too!
              > Tom

            • Andy
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 20, 2004
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tom flou"
                > <tom@f...> wrote:
                > > > Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
                > > > From: Anna Cardinal <kalinitkadrimos@y...>
                > > > Subject: Re: About Drugs and Meditation

                hi anna. my name is andy. i basically lurk here, from time to
                time. just happened to stop by today and noticed this thread.
                Drugs! did someone say drugs! Yeahhhhh! :-)))))

                apparently there is some discussion as to whether you should be
                weaning yourself off Clonazepam or stopping cold turkey.

                i must agree with bob. do NOT stop cold turkey. Slowly come off the
                stuff. if you still have any doubts, consult a pharmacist.

                i was on a different benzodiazepine drug, Ativan (Lorazepam), 1 mg -
                a mild dose - for only two weeks (two doses per day). i was not
                taking it for anxiety, however. i was using it post chemotherapy
                because it was the only drug that quelled my nausea. apparently the
                drug works on the receptor cells in the stomach, moderating any upset.

                unaware, i stopped taking it cold turkey and experienced both strange
                emotional shifts (they were mild but noticeable) and, much more
                apparent: i had graphic and upsetting nightmares the first night i
                stopped taking my evening dose! just one night day and night of this
                silliness and i called a psychologist who explained that it is really
                NECESSARY to withdraw slowly from ALL of the benzodiazephines (for
                the reasons bob mentioned in his post).

                for the next three days i reduced by daily dose by 1/3, and then i
                took another three days to cut down another 1/3. so, when i finally
                stopped, after six days, i was only taking 1/3 mg twice daily.
                stopping in this manner i noticed no usual emotional effects nor did
                i experience any problems with my sleep.

                i hope the above helps.

                p.s. if you feel drawn to meditation, if it is something that appeals
                to your "nature," you may discover that by watching the thoughts come
                and go, come and go, a realization arises that you, the watcher, are
                not the thoughts: you are simply the recepient of them. Helpless you
                are to select particular thoughts, and impotent you will be to stop
                the thoughts, but safe, nonetheless from them. you may experience,
                at some point, a sense of invulnerability from ALL thought and
                possibly an entire cessation of the anxiety. good luck!
              • Jason Fishman
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 21, 2004
                  Hi Bob,

                  As with dependencies in general, there is a continual cause and effect idealism about these dependencies. Not that this post will help Anna or any other person that has a habitual drug use need. It's just that the need is paramount to the issue it's trying to address. No one can address those issue like Anna or any other dependent person can, thats the crux of what I see Tom saying here. Not that Anna should dump the drug because he believes something about it, but that Anna should take a gander into the dependence she places on the drug and find out what value weening off the drug might provide for her.

                  Simply put, the anxiety seemed to spur the need for the drug, now they are interdependent, which the way out of interdependency is to tackle the problem or perceptual problems that provide us the use of the drug. When broken down, there is very little truth to drug using beyond the desire to not suffer, or to stay alive, or to enjoy our aliveness, as well as a plethera of other assorted goodies we like to use to make things better, funner or more useful. This boils down to mearly tackling the perceptual-ness of the need, do I want to live a life without anxiety? if yes, then I do so by tackling it with or without the use of a dependency like a drug. Should I think that anxiety won't pop up again, probably not, but when it does will I be better equipt to manage it? And as I do so, become better able to manage it, as that progresses, is anxiety really an issue for me anymore?

                  So Anna, no one here is an authority as to how weening you from the drug might affect you. As Bob said most doc's might be afraid to remove patients from drug dependencies since it affects people in all sorts of ways, or a doc might hook a patient into another drug. Best for you to make those desicions, since the power is in your hands, which might jsut cause a whole 'nother set of anxieties. The key here is what your willing to do, as those here can only offer up from thier experiences, you must pull from yours.

                  Best of luck!

                  Peace and Love

                  <tom@f...> wrote:
> [...]

                  our minds, to go away.
                  > >It has no true power over us.  We are protected all the time, even
                  unaware,
                  > >and even when we do not consciosly asks.
                  >
                  > Yes! In reality there are no problems.

                  That's quite a judgement call, and I think that this statement itself
                  is leaning towards magical thinking, and being in denial, and a whole
                  bunch of other "problems".

                  > Problems are caused by the mind,

                  and the body, and other people, and stress, and other things that on
                  our dualistic reality extistence level are "real".

                  > suggesting uninvestigated, unverified hypothesis, we chose to
                  believe in.

                  Like much of what you have shared here. I'm sure you have good
                  intentions, but medically I think you mistaken, and it would be a
                  disaster to follow the path you are pointing to.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • tom flou
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 21, 2004

                    Well, Bob. We seem to be drawing in different directions of the rope

                    with poor Anna stuck in the middle.    Sorry, Anna!

                    I think Bob is right. He has contrasted my optimistic view of the matter with the opposite.

                    Bob has, in my opinion described a worst scenario picture.

                    I agree with Bob that it is important that the drug be terminated slowly

                    and maybe even with professional help, as I wrote in my first mail to Anna.

                    This, second mail underneath, was adressing another aspect of the process,

                    intending to moderate Anna´s concern,

                    that "15 years of this toxin is possibly irreversible"

                    With convictions like this, the endeavor to get rid of the drug has a poor start.

                    The possibility to get off it is definitely there.

                    And, as Bob says, it may be painful for weeks or even month.

                    But this has realistically to be seen in relation to maybe another 15 years on the drug.

                    Concerning "being supremely happy in thought"

                    It is certainly beneficial.  I totally agree.

                    But how to get there?

                    You can try to force yourself to think only positive thoughts.

                    But you will never succeed, only be more miserable.

                    The happy thoughts come by themselves, once you make room for them,

                    by not identifying with all the negative rubbish that is causing your misery

                    by constantly occupying your attention.

                    Of cause, once you get there, you are to be congratulated.

                    For the last part I need to define my words:

                    When I say problems,  I am talking about the way the mind

                    interprets the circumstances of our lives.

                    With this definition there are no problems in the physical world.

                    There can be - even severe - life situations to deal with.

                    But these are not problems, they are challenges.

                    So Anna is facing the challenge of getting off her drugs.

                    This can be difficult, I agree.

                    It can be exactly as difficult as Bob describes it - in a few cases.

                    It can even prove impossible.

                    But if you can reduce the problems to a minimum.

                    That is, reduce/remove your negative expectations and uninvestigated false ideas.

                    Then only the naked challenge is left.

                    And that may prove surprisingly smaller than it initially looked,

                    with all the mind created problems entangling it.

                    In many cases it may not even be there ;-)

                    Peace and blessings to you too, Bob.

                    And to you, Anna!

                    Tom

                      Message: 3
                       Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:29:22 -0000
                       From: medit8ionsociety
                    Subject: Re: About Drugs and Delusional Advise/T and A

                    <tom@f...> wrote:

                    > >  Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
                    > >  From:
                    Anna Cardinal <kalinitkadrimos@y...>

                    > > Tom,

                    Thank you for great information.
                    > > This is what concerns me, I
                    believe 15 years of this toxin is
                    possibley irreversible.

                    This is a very natural worry that you can notice when it enters your
                    mentation.
                    > The thought itself is not unreasonable, but you need
                    to investigate
                    > its plausibility.
                    > Promoting it into a belief is a
                    problem, then you are hooked on it,
                    > - until you don't believe it
                    anymore.
                    > (The little man I talked about, keeps sending upp all the
                    thoughts
                    he think
                    > you need to support your current belief-system
                    ;-)
                    > I, for one, do not believe it is a fact.

                    Well, one can believe that there is no moon in the sky, no other
                    living people, horses that talk, and other similar things, but it is a
                    FACT that there is a brutal physical, emotional, and mental result if
                    you are not weaned off of a benzodiazepine medication medically
                    appropriately. You will have "REAL" problems that may take weeks or
                    even months to come on, but when they do, and they will, whether you
                    "believe" it or not, ... you'll then understand why many doctors Anna
                    has seen refuse to even get involved with the process. But, there are
                    physicians who can help getting off of these meds. It's a matter of
                    finding them.

                    > I have a friend who for many years has taken Clonazepam for
                    epilepsy.
                    > If he forgets to take it, he is at risk of getting an
                    epileptic
                    seizure,
                    > but he does not miss the drug in any other way -
                    rather, he feels
                    less tired without it.
                    > But when you discontinue the
                    drug, your underlying anxiety emerges
                    again.
                    > This can be mistaken
                    for withdrawal symptoms.

                    No - you WILL experience withdrawal symptoms. And they are heavy-duty
                    and can be life threatening.

                    > In fact this is what you choose to believe,
                    > according to
                    your self-proclaimed belief-system ;-)

                    No, all of medical knowledge will point to this as reality - not a
                    "belief system". Thinking they are just a choice that can be ignored
                    is a potentially dangerous "self-proclaimed belief-system".

                    > >I am working very hard at "being
                    surpremely happy in thought",

                    > All this hard work does
                    nothing but draining your energy, Anna.
                    > It cannot be
                    'done'.

                    Well, there are dozens of studies that demonstrate that  "being
                    surpremely happy in thought" is very much more beneficial to healing,
                    organ-system function, mood, and so on, than is just letting your
                    thoughts run wild and/or stay in negativity.

                    > The happiest you can get, is when you let go of all thoughts
                    :-)
                    > Start with investigating the truth-value of all emerging thoughts.
                    > Write them down as they appear.
                    > Then, ask yourself, one by one,
                    if you can be really certain, they
                    are true.
                    > If not, discard them.
                    (Once you realize they are lies, you don´t
                    want them anyway)
                    > It takes
                    some doing and repetition. Don't blame yourself, if they
                    emerge again.
                    > This part is beyond your control.

                    > >and to
                    just tell the negative stuff that starts swirling around in
                    our minds, to go away.
                    > >It has no true power over us.  We are protected all the
                    time, even
                    unaware,
                    > >and even when we do not consciosly
                    asks.

                    > Yes! In reality there are no
                    problems.

                    That's quite a judgement call, and I think that this statement itself
                    is leaning towards magical thinking, and being in denial, and a whole
                    bunch of other "problems".

                    > Problems are caused by the
                    mind,

                    and the body, and other people, and stress, and other things that on
                    our dualistic reality extistence level are "real".

                    > suggesting uninvestigated, unverified hypothesis, we chose
                    believe in.

                    Like much of what you have shared here. I'm sure you have good
                    intentions, but medically I think you mistaken, and it would be a
                    disaster to follow the path you are pointing to.

                    > >Peace and Agape,
                    > >Anna

                    You too!