New to Group

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2004
      Hello everyone, my name is Bill & i am new to this group. i have enjoyed reading current & previous posts from you. i have a question for anyone who may have an answer for me. i have been attempting to practice the Soham meditation. it instructs one to clear your mind of thoughts, but also tells me to do 3 sets of 12, or 12 sets of 12. my question is this, isn't counting a thought? do i contine to count or just estimate when 12 repetions are complete. or is the counting a part of the meditation. i am happy to be a part of this site, & would appreciate anyone's input on this matter, as i would like to do this technique correctly. thank you for allowing me to participate.

      In the realm of Spirit
      Bill Cameron
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Bill"
        <bilcam@w...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone, my name is Bill & i am new to this group. i have
        enjoyed reading current & previous posts from you. i have a question
        for anyone who may have an answer for me. i have been attempting to
        practice the Soham meditation. it instructs one to clear your mind of
        thoughts, but also tells me to do 3 sets of 12, or 12 sets of 12. my
        question is this, isn't counting a thought? do i contine to count or
        just estimate when 12 repetions are complete. or is the counting a
        part of the meditation. i am happy to be a part of this site, & would
        appreciate anyone's input on this matter, as i would like to do this
        technique correctly. thank you for allowing me to participate.

        > In the realm of Spirit
        > Bill Cameron

        Yo Bill,
        Welcome! There is a technique for counting that doesn't involve
        thinking, and can even be done by people who can't count up to 12.
        What you do is to use your thumb (on either hand), to touch the inner
        base of your little finger (where it joins the palm), then to touch
        the first/lower inner joint of your little finger, and then to touch
        the upper inner joint of your little finger. You would then continue
        to do this with your fourth finger, third, and second/index finger.
        This would be a cycle of 12. With your other hand, you would then put
        your thumb against the inner base of your little finger, then after
        another cycle of 12, you would place that thumb on the inner lower
        joint of the little finger. And after the next cycle of 12, against
        the inner top joint of the little finger. This would complete 3 cycles
        of 12. If you wanted to continue to do 12 cycles of 12, you would just
        continue using the thumb to touch the base, lower, and upper inner
        joints of the 4 fingers of that hand. So, with Soham, you would
        inhale, exhale, and then touch the base of the little finger on one
        hand with your thumb; inhale, exhale, and touch the lower joint of the
        little finger; inhale, exhale, and touch the top inner joint of the
        little finger. Then you would continue with the other 3 fingers of
        that hand, and then initiate the touching of the base of the little
        finger of the opposite hand with that thumb, and so on, and so on.
        This method of keeping count of your meditation is ancient, and is
        well known and used by millions of people. It becomes very comfortable
        and "doable" quickly with practice, and ends the thinking about
        thinking that counting can cause. In any event, there may be no better
        methodology than Soham, and it is best done non-stop for as long as
        one has breath, so in a way, the counting is not what counts. The full
        explanation of this wonderful technique is at:
        I hope this is helpful.
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2004
          Yo Bob, thank you for your quick response, & solution to my problem.
          will start utilizing it during my next session. thanks again Bob.
          Peace
          Bill