dreamlike sensations while meditating

  • devineeuphoria
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2004
      I have recently started meditating (like 3-4) times so far. While
      meditating I experience a sensation like u usually feel right before
      falling asleep. I am not talking about a physical sensation, Like a
      visual kinda thing...

      am i kinda dosing off while meditating?
      if so how do i stay awake?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "devineeuphoria"
        <sensi420shoty@a...> wrote:
        > I have recently started meditating (like 3-4) times so far. While
        > meditating I experience a sensation like u usually feel right before
        > falling asleep. I am not talking about a physical sensation, Like a
        > visual kinda thing...
        >
        > am i kinda dosing off while meditating?
        > if so how do i stay awake?

        As new meditators go deeper into meditation, it is very common to feel
        sleepy and to fall asleep. It takes practice and perseverance to
        become able to focus your attention (which is usually called
        Concentration), and initally making this effort can be quite draining.
        Eventually the effort becomes effortless, and Meditation comes to you
        without you having to exert energy to bring it about or maintain it.
        It just happens, and it becomes easier and natural to maintain an
        alert awareness during your meditation practice. But if you examine
        your life, I think you will agree that it isn't really just when you
        meditate that you tend to fall asleep. We had an article in issue #2
        of our newsletter, The Inner Traveler that you may find interesting.
        It gives a methodology for staying awake when meditating, as well as
        when being bored by an event you are taking part in, and other similar
        situations. The URL for the issue is at:
        http://www.meditationsociety.com/it22267/index.html
        I hope it will help you maintain your concentration and help you when
        meditating, as well as at other times. There is no better thing you
        can do for your Self than learn to meditate. I wish you well on this
        wonder-full awakening adventure.
      • Jason Fishman