Re: Causes

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5 9:54 AM
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
      > > Dear Ones:
      > >
      > > Patanjali gives primary importance to two things which caught my
      > > attention.
      > >
      > > In Book One of Yoga Sutra, Patanjali starts with the Fluctuations
      of
      > > Consciousness (individual thoughts and sleep):
      > > valid cognition, misconception, conceptualisation (fantasy),
      sleep,
      > > and memory. He says they may be afflicted or non-afflicted.
      > >
      > > Book Two he starts with the Afflictions: ignorance (which also
      > > causes the other afflictions), I-am-ness,attachment, aversion, the
      > > will to live. Ignorance as defined here is the inate belief in a
      > > false self, the attribution of that which is the pure Self to that
      > > which is Non-Self (ephemeral).
      > >
      > > If a valid perception, or any of the fluctuations, is caused by
      one
      > > of these afflictions then it is tainted by coloration. To erase
      > > coloration is the goal of Yoga Sutra. Ironically this is called
      > > Selflessness. The study of the categories of
      > > thought (fluctuations) and the root cause of their production (the
      > > afflictions) in oneself as an everyday mental attitude is part of
      the
      > > study of Raja Yoga.
      > >
      > > Book Two. 11-The fluctuations of the causes of affliction are to
      be
      > > overcome by meditative absorption.
      > >
      > > Sounds easy!
      > >
      > > Love
      > > Bobby G.
      >
      > Dear Sri Bobby G,
      > Thank you so much for this light and wisdom. Your "Sounds easy"
      > reminds me of a great (very unknown) rock and roll song by the
      > greatest basketball player ever - Wilt Chamberland - titled "That's
      > Easy To Say, But So Hard To Do". And I have no doubt that the study
      > and implimentation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras do make experiencing
      > "IT" easier:-).
      > Thanks again,
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob
      > PS: For an excellent brief description of the 8 parts of Raja Yoga,
      > see: http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/philosophy/eightlimbs.html

      Hi Bob:

      I looked at Sri Sivananda's site. It is interesting to note that he
      puts hatha yoga as a subset of raja yoga. Of course to achieve
      pranayama one needs asana.

      But there is another group, The Alice Bailey crowd, (the Tibetan),
      who tell of a history where Hatha Yoga was developed by the pre-
      Atlanteans. I forget the name given them. It was developed in order
      to straighten the spine to be able to walk erect,etc. Then the
      Atlanteans developed Bhakti yoga to develop the emotional system.
      Love.

      Then it is the job of the "Fifth Aryan Root race", us, to develop the
      mind and that is the purview of Raja Yoga.

      Perhaps there are some Hatha Yoga people out there that like this
      view better.

      love
      Bobby G.