Causes

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
      Dear Ones:

      Patanjali gives primary importance to two things which caught my
      attention.

      In Book One of Yoga Sutra, Patanjali starts with the Fluctuations of
      Consciousness (individual thoughts and sleep):
      valid cognition, misconception, conceptualisation (fantasy), sleep,
      and memory. He says they may be afflicted or non-afflicted.

      Book Two he starts with the Afflictions: ignorance (which also
      causes the other afflictions), I-am-ness,attachment, aversion, the
      will to live. Ignorance as defined here is the inate belief in a
      false self, the attribution of that which is the pure Self to that
      which is Non-Self (ephemeral).

      If a valid perception, or any of the fluctuations, is caused by one
      of these afflictions then it is tainted by coloration. To erase
      coloration is the goal of Yoga Sutra. Ironically this is called
      Selflessness. The study of the categories of
      thought (fluctuations) and the root cause of their production (the
      afflictions) in oneself as an everyday mental attitude is part of the
      study of Raja Yoga.

      Book Two. 11-The fluctuations of the causes of affliction are to be
      overcome by meditative absorption.

      Sounds easy!

      Love
      Bobby G.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
        <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
        > Dear Ones:
        >
        > Patanjali gives primary importance to two things which caught my
        > attention.
        >
        > In Book One of Yoga Sutra, Patanjali starts with the Fluctuations of
        > Consciousness (individual thoughts and sleep):
        > valid cognition, misconception, conceptualisation (fantasy), sleep,
        > and memory. He says they may be afflicted or non-afflicted.
        >
        > Book Two he starts with the Afflictions: ignorance (which also
        > causes the other afflictions), I-am-ness,attachment, aversion, the
        > will to live. Ignorance as defined here is the inate belief in a
        > false self, the attribution of that which is the pure Self to that
        > which is Non-Self (ephemeral).
        >
        > If a valid perception, or any of the fluctuations, is caused by one
        > of these afflictions then it is tainted by coloration. To erase
        > coloration is the goal of Yoga Sutra. Ironically this is called
        > Selflessness. The study of the categories of
        > thought (fluctuations) and the root cause of their production (the
        > afflictions) in oneself as an everyday mental attitude is part of the
        > study of Raja Yoga.
        >
        > Book Two. 11-The fluctuations of the causes of affliction are to be
        > overcome by meditative absorption.
        >
        > Sounds easy!
        >
        > Love
        > Bobby G.

        Dear Sri Bobby G,
        Thank you so much for this light and wisdom. Your "Sounds easy"
        reminds me of a great (very unknown) rock and roll song by the
        greatest basketball player ever - Wilt Chamberland - titled "That's
        Easy To Say, But So Hard To Do". And I have no doubt that the study
        and implimentation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras do make experiencing
        "IT" easier:-).
        Thanks again,
        PS: For an excellent brief description of the 8 parts of Raja Yoga,
        see: http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/philosophy/eightlimbs.html
      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
          > > Dear Ones:
          > >
          > > Patanjali gives primary importance to two things which caught my
          > > attention.
          > >
          > > In Book One of Yoga Sutra, Patanjali starts with the Fluctuations
          of
          > > Consciousness (individual thoughts and sleep):
          > > valid cognition, misconception, conceptualisation (fantasy),
          sleep,
          > > and memory. He says they may be afflicted or non-afflicted.
          > >
          > > Book Two he starts with the Afflictions: ignorance (which also
          > > causes the other afflictions), I-am-ness,attachment, aversion, the
          > > will to live. Ignorance as defined here is the inate belief in a
          > > false self, the attribution of that which is the pure Self to that
          > > which is Non-Self (ephemeral).
          > >
          > > If a valid perception, or any of the fluctuations, is caused by
          one
          > > of these afflictions then it is tainted by coloration. To erase
          > > coloration is the goal of Yoga Sutra. Ironically this is called
          > > Selflessness. The study of the categories of
          > > thought (fluctuations) and the root cause of their production (the
          > > afflictions) in oneself as an everyday mental attitude is part of
          the
          > > study of Raja Yoga.
          > >
          > > Book Two. 11-The fluctuations of the causes of affliction are to
          be
          > > overcome by meditative absorption.
          > >
          > > Sounds easy!
          > >
          > > Love
          > > Bobby G.
          >
          > Dear Sri Bobby G,
          > Thank you so much for this light and wisdom. Your "Sounds easy"
          > reminds me of a great (very unknown) rock and roll song by the
          > greatest basketball player ever - Wilt Chamberland - titled "That's
          > Easy To Say, But So Hard To Do". And I have no doubt that the study
          > and implimentation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras do make experiencing
          > "IT" easier:-).
          > Thanks again,
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob
          > PS: For an excellent brief description of the 8 parts of Raja Yoga,
          > see: http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/philosophy/eightlimbs.html

          Hi Bob:

          I looked at Sri Sivananda's site. It is interesting to note that he
          puts hatha yoga as a subset of raja yoga. Of course to achieve
          pranayama one needs asana.

          But there is another group, The Alice Bailey crowd, (the Tibetan),
          who tell of a history where Hatha Yoga was developed by the pre-
          Atlanteans. I forget the name given them. It was developed in order
          to straighten the spine to be able to walk erect,etc. Then the
          Atlanteans developed Bhakti yoga to develop the emotional system.
          Love.

          Then it is the job of the "Fifth Aryan Root race", us, to develop the
          mind and that is the purview of Raja Yoga.

          Perhaps there are some Hatha Yoga people out there that like this
          view better.

          love
          Bobby G.