Re: Siddha Yoga

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Hristov"
      <meditating@c...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone.
      >
      > I wonder what is your opinion on Siddha Yoga meditation
      > and our Guru: Swami Chidvilasananda as I did not find
      > any posting on that subject.
      > Is Siddha Yoga meditation unpopular or banned or
      > something?
      >
      > Thank you in advance.

      Twice I've attended gatherings of Siddha Yoga folks.
      The first time was in Oakland for a satsang with Swami C.
      I was with some folk who were very intent on getting me
      to sign up. Too intent. They were over the moon about
      their guru, when I personally wasn't at all impressed with
      what she was saying.

      However, the really scary thing was seeing all those
      people shaking and swirling their bodies around. They
      were supposedly under the influence of kriyas, but all
      I saw was a kind of spiritual competitiveness. If you
      weren't twitching, you weren't getting "it". And because
      people want to be known for getting "it", everyone was
      twitching and swirling like crazy.

      My second visit was a small gathering of devotees on
      a Sunday morning to chant the Guru Gita. There was
      a TV monitor where Swami C would usually sit, and on
      that monitor was a satellite-transmitted image of Swami
      C. She wasn't doing or saying anything, just smiling.
      To this image on the TV screen, devotees were chanting
      the Guru Gita. I thought this was preposterous.

      In my opinion, way, way too much emphasis is placed
      on the Swami. It's a personality cult, and those are
      the worst venues of all to acquire spirituality, IMO.

      --jody.
    • Gregory Goode
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 2004
        At 09:04 PM 5/26/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:

        >In my opinion, way, way too much emphasis is placed
        >on the Swami. It's a personality cult, and those are
        >the worst venues of all to acquire spirituality, IMO.

        ...You go, Jody!!
      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2004
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Goode <goode@d...>
          wrote:
          > At 09:04 PM 5/26/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:
          >
          > >In my opinion, way, way too much emphasis is placed
          > >on the Swami. It's a personality cult, and those are
          > >the worst venues of all to acquire spirituality, IMO.
          >
          > ...You go, Jody!!

          This isn't to say that one cannot acquire spirituality
          in the context of Swami C's satsang.

          I know of one woman who has come to realization,
          seemingly entirely in the context of Siddha Yoga.

          She gushes just as much about her guru as the rest
          of them, and she appears to be just as sucked up into
          the personality thing as the rest of them. But this
          woman definitely got it. So despite my personal
          opinions about Swami C. and Siddha Yoga, it could
          very well be the best possible place for a particular
          aspirant to be.

          --jody.
        • WillieS101@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2004
            Choosing a school of meditation and a teacher, if one is so inclined, isn't an easy process. I've heard Swami Chidvilasananda and her guru Swami Muktananada say that it's the most important decision one can make. They implore the student to take time to make sure that you've found the right Teacher. It took Swami Muktananda years to find his Teacher and he gained much from the great teachers along the way, among the many was the wonderful Ramana Maharshi.

            How do you know when you've found the right one? A great question, with one of those simple but frustrating answers-- "you'll know when you've met your Teacher by your experience." Some consistent qualities of such Teachers mentioned in many sacred texts include; a great guru exists for the benefit of others; they can and do transmit a powerful inner awakening (sometimes called shaktipat) to a seeker who is sincere (that's not to say if you don't connect with one teacher either the teacher or you are not authentic/sincere); and they continue to give the means for keeping this experience of the Self alive.

            In regard to your question about Siddha Yoga and this listserv, I think that readers who love to meditate would adore Swami Durgananda's (Sally Kempton's) book The Heart of Meditation and perhaps benefit by discussing its contents. Praised by the likes of Ram Dass and Ken Wilbur, Heart of Meditation offers dozens of wonderful meditation techniques and heart opening insights into the processes, benefits, and struggles involved in establishing and keeping a meditation practice. www.sallykempton.com.

            As a devotee of Swami Chidvilasanda, Sally is also a good model of how and why one can benefit from focusing on the teachings of one master.

            Willie