last night's survivor

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2004
      Hello, everyone,

      Last night during the television show, Survivor, the
      'competitors' were given an immunity challenge:

      Each competitor stood on a block large enough for both
      feet and then had their raised arm handcuffed to a chain
      connected to a half-barrel of water, which balanced
      over their head. If a competitor let his or her arm fall,
      even a little, the barrel would tip, the water would
      fall on them, and they would lose their chance at the
      night's 'immunity'.

      It was fascinating to observe the way each competitor's
      use of body and mind contributed to their personal
      outcome. There were those who seemed to 'hang' their
      arm up, right from the beginning, with their bodies
      trembling beneath the handcuff. There were those who
      took part in the jesting or jabs, or paid too much
      attention to these distractions, or the distraction of
      their pain or other physical sensations. It was so easy to pick
      the winner - the only one whose body remained energetically
      uplifted from the feet through her raised fist. In fact,
      one could almost tell who would win entirely on the
      disposition of the handcuffed limb. Those who let their
      fingers droop, or elbows bend, or shoulders shift off of
      their frame were done before they started. The winner
      stood firmly on both feet, weight in both legs, lower
      hand on hip, chest raised and underneath her shoulder,
      which was underneath her straight arm, which was underneath
      her energized fist. She didn't move in her body, and she
      was unflinching in her focus on steadiness.

      I thought to myself, despite the context of the television
      show, and anything else surrounding this 'set up', this
      woman's display of firmness of mind and body had a lesson
      in it... and I thought I'd share that with you... make of
      it what you will. :)

      Nina
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2004
        <murrkis@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, everyone,
        >
        > Last night during the television show, Survivor, the
        > 'competitors' were given an immunity challenge:
        >
        > Each competitor stood on a block large enough for both
        > feet and then had their raised arm handcuffed to a chain
        > connected to a half-barrel of water, which balanced
        > over their head. If a competitor let his or her arm fall,
        > even a little, the barrel would tip, the water would
        > fall on them, and they would lose their chance at the
        > night's 'immunity'.
        >
        > It was fascinating to observe the way each competitor's
        > use of body and mind contributed to their personal
        > outcome. There were those who seemed to 'hang' their
        > arm up, right from the beginning, with their bodies
        > trembling beneath the handcuff. There were those who
        > took part in the jesting or jabs, or paid too much
        > attention to these distractions, or the distraction of
        > their pain or other physical sensations. It was so easy to pick
        > the winner - the only one whose body remained energetically
        > uplifted from the feet through her raised fist. In fact,
        > one could almost tell who would win entirely on the
        > disposition of the handcuffed limb. Those who let their
        > fingers droop, or elbows bend, or shoulders shift off of
        > their frame were done before they started. The winner
        > stood firmly on both feet, weight in both legs, lower
        > hand on hip, chest raised and underneath her shoulder,
        > which was underneath her straight arm, which was underneath
        > her energized fist. She didn't move in her body, and she
        > was unflinching in her focus on steadiness.
        >
        > I thought to myself, despite the context of the television
        > show, and anything else surrounding this 'set up', this
        > woman's display of firmness of mind and body had a lesson
        > in it... and I thought I'd share that with you... make of
        > it what you will. :)
        >
        > Nina

        Hi Nina,
        Our in-house yoga teacher (Bette) also saw the show and agrees fully
        with your observations. This seems to me to be a demonstration of one
        of Gurdjieff's principles/teachings IE: let your body do the work of
        the body, let the emotions do the emotional work, and your intellect
        the intellectual work. And if you have the wrong "center" doing the
        work that another center should be doing, work will not be done
        appropriately or expediently, energy will be squandered, and other
        similar negative results will ensue. This is just my summation and
        could be far off, but this immunity challenge seems to be right in
        line with proof of why "working on oneself" is worth doing, even if it
        doesn't necessarily lead to Realization, Enlightenment, Understanding,
        etc. You become well balanced. And for some, get a step closer to
        winning a million dollars:-)