Re: Question from Email - Meditation and digestion

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2004
      <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Dear Medit8,
      > >
      > > When I meditate for half an hour a
      > > day for several days, my digestive
      > > system, which is normally strong,
      > > becomes upset, & I don't digest
      > > foods well & even get diarrhoea,
      > > I also feel somewhat spacy. When I
      > > stop meditating all symptoms return
      > > to normal within several days.
      > >
      > > What is the cause of this effect & what is the solution to it. I do
      > > want to meditate because of its great benefits, but these symptoms
      > > are holding me back.
      > >
      > > Looking forward to your reply,
      > >
      > > Best Wishes,
      > > M*** E***
      >
      > :) It seems, you have already determined the
      > answer to your question.
      >
      > A friend's father is a doctor. He always laughs
      > in recounting instances of patients coming to him
      > with stories such as "when I do this, this hurts!
      > what do I do, doc?!"... what can he say, except:
      >
      > "Don't do that!"
      >
      > Anyhoo, anything any of us would say on this
      > message board would be based on assumption,
      > as all we know is that it has to do with
      > meditation for half an hour a day for several
      > days. We do not know what kind of meditation,
      > how you are breathing, or how you are sitting.
      >
      > Nina

      As usual, another fine sharing by Nina. Thank you. Below is some of
      how I answered M***, and I think perhaps it offers another perspective
      that points to a universal "problem" with or without meditation being
      involved. I hope by posting this it may be of benefit.........

      Dear M***,
      Whenever I am asked about physical problems, I always direct the
      person asking to check with their physician, and will do so with you
      now. But, I must say that I have never run into digestive or
      elimination problems linked to meditation before. I imagine that with
      some physical activities, it would be possible to upset these bodily
      systems, but just sitting in meditation would seem to not be a
      plausible predecessor to these bodily ailments. I suspect that what is
      going on is that your mind is using your body as a distraction, so as
      to maintain its master position over you. When we meditate, we get our
      mind under control, and the mind always wants to lead us around, and
      fights this change in status. Feeling "spacey" is another distraction
      that the mind uses to break the concentration of the meditator.
      Persevere. Silently witness your minds changes without judgments,
      comparisons, or commentary. The part of you that is the Witness of the
      minds fluctuations, the body's changes, and your emotional swings is
      the "Real you". And the more you sit in the Witness position, the less
      you will be disturbed by your mind, and soon it will become a fine
      tool for you to use, and loosen its grip on you. You will be able to
      act as you wish, and live your life as it takes place, and not just
      live exclusively in reaction to your mind's changes.
      snip