Question from Email - Meditation and digestion

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2004
      Dear Medit8,

      When I meditate for half an hour a day for several days, my digestive
      system, which is normally strong, becomes upset, & I don't digest
      foods well & even get diarrhoea, I also feel somewhat spacy. When I
      stop meditating all symptoms return to normal within several days.

      What is the cause of this effect & what is the solution to it. I do
      want to meditate because of its great benefits, but these symptoms are
      holding me back.

      Looking forward to your reply,

      Best Wishes,
      M*** E***
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2004
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Dear Medit8,
        >
        > When I meditate for half an hour a
        > day for several days, my digestive
        > system, which is normally strong,
        > becomes upset, & I don't digest
        > foods well & even get diarrhoea,
        > I also feel somewhat spacy. When I
        > stop meditating all symptoms return
        > to normal within several days.
        >
        > What is the cause of this effect & what is the solution to it. I do
        > want to meditate because of its great benefits, but these symptoms
        > are holding me back.
        >
        > Looking forward to your reply,
        >
        > Best Wishes,
        > M*** E***

        :) It seems, you have already determined the
        answer to your question.

        A friend's father is a doctor. He always laughs
        in recounting instances of patients coming to him
        with stories such as "when I do this, this hurts!
        what do I do, doc?!"... what can he say, except:

        "Don't do that!"

        Anyhoo, anything any of us would say on this
        message board would be based on assumption,
        as all we know is that it has to do with
        meditation for half an hour a day for several
        days. We do not know what kind of meditation,
        how you are breathing, or how you are sitting.

        Nina
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2004
          <murrkis@y...> wrote:
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Dear Medit8,
          > >
          > > When I meditate for half an hour a
          > > day for several days, my digestive
          > > system, which is normally strong,
          > > becomes upset, & I don't digest
          > > foods well & even get diarrhoea,
          > > I also feel somewhat spacy. When I
          > > stop meditating all symptoms return
          > > to normal within several days.
          > >
          > > What is the cause of this effect & what is the solution to it. I do
          > > want to meditate because of its great benefits, but these symptoms
          > > are holding me back.
          > >
          > > Looking forward to your reply,
          > >
          > > Best Wishes,
          > > M*** E***
          >
          > :) It seems, you have already determined the
          > answer to your question.
          >
          > A friend's father is a doctor. He always laughs
          > in recounting instances of patients coming to him
          > with stories such as "when I do this, this hurts!
          > what do I do, doc?!"... what can he say, except:
          >
          > "Don't do that!"
          >
          > Anyhoo, anything any of us would say on this
          > message board would be based on assumption,
          > as all we know is that it has to do with
          > meditation for half an hour a day for several
          > days. We do not know what kind of meditation,
          > how you are breathing, or how you are sitting.
          >
          > Nina

          As usual, another fine sharing by Nina. Thank you. Below is some of
          how I answered M***, and I think perhaps it offers another perspective
          that points to a universal "problem" with or without meditation being
          involved. I hope by posting this it may be of benefit.........

          Dear M***,
          Whenever I am asked about physical problems, I always direct the
          person asking to check with their physician, and will do so with you
          now. But, I must say that I have never run into digestive or
          elimination problems linked to meditation before. I imagine that with
          some physical activities, it would be possible to upset these bodily
          systems, but just sitting in meditation would seem to not be a
          plausible predecessor to these bodily ailments. I suspect that what is
          going on is that your mind is using your body as a distraction, so as
          to maintain its master position over you. When we meditate, we get our
          mind under control, and the mind always wants to lead us around, and
          fights this change in status. Feeling "spacey" is another distraction
          that the mind uses to break the concentration of the meditator.
          Persevere. Silently witness your minds changes without judgments,
          comparisons, or commentary. The part of you that is the Witness of the
          minds fluctuations, the body's changes, and your emotional swings is
          the "Real you". And the more you sit in the Witness position, the less
          you will be disturbed by your mind, and soon it will become a fine
          tool for you to use, and loosen its grip on you. You will be able to
          act as you wish, and live your life as it takes place, and not just
          live exclusively in reaction to your mind's changes.
          snip