Mullah Nasrudin and the Scholars

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5 10:02 PM
      Once the Mulla was invited to dinner by a group of scholars. When he
      arrived, he found the other guests in a heated debate concerning
      destiny vs. free will.

      As time went by and the argument seemed endless, the Mulla was getting
      hungrier by the minute; The aroma from the kitchen became unbearable.

      Nasrudin stood up and said "If I prove beyond a shadow of doubt that
      man is predestined, can we then begin our dinner?"

      At this, the rest fell silent.

      The Mulla then said "I can say, with absolute certainty, that every
      man present here today is predestined to die."

      Dinner was promptly served.
    • Andy
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6 9:50 AM
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        *****Yes, life is a fatal "disease."

        Sometimes I ask my students "What is a sexually-transmitted
        condition, with a 100% fatality rate?" Prior to the last few years,
        most responded with an answer of "AIDS," but since the cocktails
        seem to be indefinitely prolonging AIDS victims' lives (for those
        that have the money or insurance to afford them; the biggest group,
        in Africa, clearly don't). That answer doesn't work too well any
        longer.

        *****What about woman? Does she escape predestination? :-))))

        At this, the rest fell silent.

        The Mulla then said "I can say, with absolute certainty, that every
        man present here today is predestined to die."

        Dinner was promptly served.

        *****Ahhh but was it enjoyed post the message? :-)))
        Take it from one who is currently "on the edge," all this babbling
        about meditation, spirituality, awakening, etc. is all cerebral (and
        will get you just so far) until one comes face-to-face (in a foxhole,
        a burning building, a cancer ward) with the thought and direct
        experience of mortality. *That's* where the rubber meets the road!

        ~andy (back for a brief visit)
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6 3:00 PM
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Andy"
          <endofthedream@y...> wrote:
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          >

          > *****Yes, life is a fatal "disease."
          >
          > Sometimes I ask my students "What is a sexually-transmitted
          > condition, with a 100% fatality rate?" Prior to the last few
          years,
          > most responded with an answer of "AIDS," but since the cocktails
          > seem to be indefinitely prolonging AIDS victims' lives (for those
          > that have the money or insurance to afford them; the biggest
          group,
          > in Africa, clearly don't). That answer doesn't work too well any
          > longer.
          >

          > Once the Mulla was invited to dinner by a group of scholars. When he
          > arrived, he found the other guests in a heated debate concerning
          > destiny vs. free will.
          >
          > As time went by and the argument seemed endless, the Mulla was
          getting
          > hungrier by the minute; The aroma from the kitchen became
          unbearable.

          > Nasrudin stood up and said "If I prove beyond a shadow of doubt that
          > man is predestined, can we then begin our dinner?"
          >

          > *****What about woman? Does she escape predestination? :-))))
          >
          > At this, the rest fell silent.
          >
          > The Mulla then said "I can say, with absolute certainty, that every
          > man present here today is predestined to die."
          >
          > Dinner was promptly served.
          >

          > *****Ahhh but was it enjoyed post the message? :-)))
          > Take it from one who is currently "on the edge," all this babbling
          > about meditation, spirituality, awakening, etc. is all cerebral
          (and
          > will get you just so far) until one comes face-to-face (in a
          foxhole,
          > a burning building, a cancer ward) with the thought and direct
          > experience of mortality. *That's* where the rubber meets the road!
          >
          > ~andy (back for a brief visit)

          Yo Andy,

          Good to hear/read from you. From Sandeep's post and from your words,
          I'm going to assume that you are now taking the masters level "Facts
          of Life 101" course, as well as sharing your right on the spiritual
          money wisdom with your students.

          One thing I see that has come to my mind from this is the rabbit in
          Alice in Wonderland (I think he was the one), who would say, while
          scurrying around to keep such important appointments as the tea party
          with the mad hatter, "So much to do, and so little time". Way too
          busy to realize that it's actually "So much time, and nothing to do".

          And like Nasrudin in this tale, trying to awaken "scholars" to the
          opportunity to live their life while they have it to live, I also
          think of Gurdjieff, who at the end of his 1200+ page masterwork, All
          and Everything, sums it all up by commenting, that the most
          astonishing thing about humans is that they have no conception of, or
          appreciation for the fact that they are mortal.

          And yes, as you point to, "on the edge" events can certainly be eye
          openers, and potentially end the "They have eyes but don't see"
          syndrome. But, my oh my, they can be quite a trip! So as we go
          through the inevitable rocks and rolls on our journey, it becomes a
          real joy to bump into uplifting words, concepts, and things, and I
          certainly consider what you share as such, so I hope your visit here
          will not be just a brief one. And of course, I hope you are well and
          feeling swell.

        • Andy
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7 11:13 AM
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Andy"
            > <endofthedream@y...> wrote:
            medit8ionsociety

            Yo Andy,

            Good to hear/read from you. From Sandeep's post and from your words,
            I'm going to assume that you are now taking the masters level "Facts
            of Life 101" course, as well as sharing your right on the spiritual
            money wisdom with your students.

            *****No, I'm not teaching this semester. Dealing with a particularly
            stubbon bout of recurrent cancer, one that requires a more aggressive
            treatment (stem-cell transplant, a 4 week hospital stay, and more fun
            than you can shake a stick at! Hahaha!!!). But yes, when I do return
            to work later this fall (hopefully with some hair intact!), I do plan
            on starting up the spiritual inquiry/meditation group that we talked
            about last fall.

            One thing I see that has come to my mind from this is the rabbit in
            Alice in Wonderland (I think he was the one), who would say, while
            scurrying around to keep such important appointments as the tea party
            with the mad hatter, "So much to do, and so little time". Way too
            busy to realize that it's actually "So much time, and nothing to do".

            *****Yes, there is nothing to do, and yet things apparently get
            done. In the matter of time, three words: it is not. ;-)

            And like Nasrudin in this tale, trying to awaken "scholars" to the
            opportunity to live their life while they have it to live, I also
            think of Gurdjieff, who at the end of his 1200+ page masterwork, All
            and Everything, sums it all up by commenting, that the most
            astonishing thing about humans is that they have no conception of, or
            appreciation for the fact that they are mortal.

            *****Until such appreciation manifests itself in their lives. Either
            at the moment of the body's cessation or, perhaps, earlier, in a
            cancer ward. Either way, it's a grand trip! :-)))))

            And yes, as you point to, "on the edge" events can certainly be eye
            openers, and potentially end the "They have eyes but don't see"
            syndrome. But, my oh my, they can be quite a trip! So as we go
            through the inevitable rocks and rolls on our journey, it becomes a
            real joy to bump into uplifting words, concepts, and things, and I
            certainly consider what you share as such, so I hope your visit here
            will not be just a brief one. And of course, I hope you are well and
            feeling swell.

            *****Remember from the original Star Trek, the Vulcan IDIC? Infinite
            Divisity in Infinite Combination. So are all the uplifting words,
            concepts, and things. What moves Andy, bores Bob, upsets Joan, and
            enrages Father Marshall.

            Thought tells us that to be "safe," we each much think and believe
            alike. I don't know if it is possible, but in the course of human
            history, it hasn't happened ever. It takes something more to
            transcend this drive for safety, some sense of security in what is
            perceived not through thought but beyond thought. And sometimes
            meditation is a useful tool to provoke such seeing. But it is not
            essential. Nothing is. As the late, great runner-philosopher-
            cardiologist George Sheehan repeatedly wrote, "We must all be an
            experiment of one."

            *****Thank you. Hugs!