Neuropeptides-Molecules of Emotions

  • sandeep
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2004

      Thank you Diana for the link.
      -------

      After years of studying the form and function of neuropeptides (tiny bits of protein that consist of strings of amino acids), Pert has concluded that they are responsible for our emotions -- not only the familiar feelings of anger, fear, sadness, joy, contentment, and courage, but also spiritual inspiration, awe, bliss, and other states of consciousness that scientists have never physiologically explained.

      Scientists have found neuropeptide receptors throughout the nervous system, and Pert's research has shown that the immune system also produces its own.

      She has come to believe that the brain and the nervous, endocrine, and immune systems are interlocked in a "psychoimmunoendocrine" network that serves as a multidirectional, body-wide system in which every part communicates with every other part.
      This concept nullifies the prevailing idea that the mind has power over the body.
      "Instead, emotions are the nexus between mind and
      matter, going back and forth between the two and influencing both," says Pert.

      Dr Candace Pert, (her book is titled "Molecules of Emotions")

      Georgetown University Medical Center
      Department of Physiology & Biophysics
      School of Medicine

    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep
        <sandeepc@b...> wrote:

        So the neuropeptides are substances (amino acid codes or keys) that
        make us think the thoughts that arise from the emotions they
        stimulate in us.

        This is one of the prevailing ideas of raja yoga and it is good that
        science is able to accept it now.