Re: Everything Everywhere At The Same Time and Place

  • fantusi_999
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2004
      <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
      medit8ionsociety
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > What'll they think of next??????????
      >
      > Hi Bob:
      >
      > This was a neat article. Talking about making the big computer
      light
      > years ahead of what we know now makes me wonder about whether it
      > would have consciousness or not.
      >
      > In my world view I think of the mind as a computer. One that is
      > blown around by hormonal cocktails, habitual grooves, and
      > stimulations of all sorts. It will act in predictable ways if
      left
      > alone. But add the self scrutiny thingee, conscience (the
      witness,
      > etc.), and no predictability is possible. The habits and hormones
      are
      > not the only factor in decision making.
      >
      > I guess someone could believe that self scrutiny is not
      > Consciousness, that the mind itself is checking on itself. But to
      > me, that says that the mind would be in two places at once. Being
      > something it is checking on. When I see myself, the mind
      continues
      > to function but not in the same way. It is not like the runaway
      > train it usually is, ideas morphing into other ideas, ad
      infinitum.
      > It presents one idea at a time. And I remain constant while the
      > ideas change.
      >
      > So that being my world view, my question is whether conciousness
      > would appear in this supercomputer automatically at a certain
      point
      > in sophistication. That is, is there a universal Consciousness
      that
      > only needs the mechanism of a mind (or super-computer) to interact
      in
      > the gross physical level of matter?
      >
      > If the answer is no, that seems to say that there is something in
      the
      > mind's make-up, 'life' perhaps, that allows Consciousness a
      channel
      > to participate. Something that is denied to the materials that
      make
      > up the computer.
      >
      > I tend to think that all matter is alive and there may be other
      ways
      > to build a mechanism for consciousness to peek into the physical.
      So
      > I envision a computer that when turned on says "Hi, I am!!!"
      >
      > Then proceeds to whine and complain.
      >
      > Love
      > Bobby G.

      Ha, yes, proceeds to whine and complain! That's funny, Bobby.

      The whiner probably never complains about the complaining,
      though. It probably complains about those hormones and
      chemicals that are setting off alarms that the whiner has
      to go check on and figure out how to turn off. Does the
      complainer ever figure out that most of the alarms are being
      triggered by the whining of the complainer who then has to
      fuss over them and try to figure out how to turn them off?

      That's where the constant observer, whatever that may be,
      and who even knows what it is, has a distinct advantage.
      The mind's way of fixing is to tinker and tinker and tinker
      until just the right idea for the optimal feeling tone is
      constructed. That's hard work. The constant gets
      to let go and allow the mind to just uncrinkle and smooth out,
      and that's a whole lot easier.
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "fantusi_999"
        <fantusi_999@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > > Bobby G.
        >
        > Ha, yes, proceeds to whine and complain! That's funny, Bobby.
        >
        > The whiner probably never complains about the complaining,
        > though. It probably complains about those hormones and
        > chemicals that are setting off alarms that the whiner has
        > to go check on and figure out how to turn off. Does the
        > complainer ever figure out that most of the alarms are being
        > triggered by the whining of the complainer who then has to
        > fuss over them and try to figure out how to turn them off?
        >
        > That's where the constant observer, whatever that may be,
        > and who even knows what it is, has a distinct advantage.
        > The mind's way of fixing is to tinker and tinker and tinker
        > until just the right idea for the optimal feeling tone is
        > constructed. That's hard work. The constant gets
        > to let go and allow the mind to just uncrinkle and smooth out,

        Good point. Constant tinkering and tuning up with indulgences and
        distractions is a way of life today. I even think it is "ok'd" by
        the professionals.
        I agree if you let the mind relax and look at it, the trouble fades
        pretty quickly. A good lesson.

        I think it is called meditation. If you don't fall asleep.

        Love
        Bobby G.