Everything Everywhere At The Same Time and Place

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12 9:02 PM
      What'll they think of next??????????
      From the Business Week site:
      http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_11/b3874102.htm

      Physics: "Putting The Weirdness To Work"
      Scientists say quantum materials will be the basis for amazing
      devices, but when?

      The world of the quantum stretches the limits of human imagination.
      Who could ever believe, for instance, that atoms -- the building
      blocks of our seemingly solid landscape -- are able to exist in
      different places at one time? That they can be "entangled" together
      such that an action on one atom or particle will affect another across
      considerable distances? Or that they are irrevocably altered simply by
      the act of being observed?

      Yet that is what quantum laws tell us. Einstein himself was famously
      troubled by the implication that reality was actually just a
      collection of probabilities, where God not only played dice with the
      universe but also hid the dice. "To common sense, quantum mechanics is
      nonsensical," says Nobel prize-winning physicist William D. Phillips
      of the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST).

      Nevertheless, developing quantum theory was "the crowning intellectual
      achievement of the last century," says California Institute of
      Technology physicist John Preskill. It's the underlying principle for
      many of today's devices, from lasers to magnetic resonance imaging
      machines. And these may prove to be just the low-hanging fruit. Many
      scientists foresee revolutionary technologies based on the truly
      strange properties of the quantum world.

      For instance, there's a state of matter that scientists created less
      than a decade ago called the Bose-Einstein condensate, in which each
      of many millions of atoms act identically and are everywhere in the
      sample at once. Dozens of research groups around the world are
      experimenting with these condensates, whose properties portend a
      future we can barely glimpse. "Physicists relish the weirdness, but
      now we're starting to ask if we can put the weirdness to work," says
      Preskill.

      Some of the theoretical possibilities boggle the mind. For example:
      the elusive but intensely desired quantum computer. The mathematical
      challenge of factoring a 400-digit number -- which would take 10
      billion years on today's supercomputers -- might be cracked by a
      quantum computer in 30 seconds. While there are a number of approaches
      to building such a device, recent experiments with the Bose-Einstein
      condensates are opening up clever new paths.

      Quantum weirdness also enables communications to be sent in
      unbreakable code. New companies, such as New York City's MagiQ
      Technologies and id Quantique of Geneva, are already turning these
      ideas into commercial products. At the same time, the exploration of
      quantum domains may shed more light on abiding scientific mysteries,
      such as how some substances conduct electricity with zero resistance
      -- a phenomenon called superconductivity. That could lead to the
      transmission of electricity across great distances with no loss. And a
      forthcoming paper from IBM researchers will show how quantum phenomena
      can be exploited to see molecules more clearly.

      These uses may just scratch the surface of the possible. No one has
      ever been able to foresee transformations wrought by any revolutionary
      science. And the quantum world is no different. "We have not yet begun
      to figure out what the applications are," says NIST physicist Carl J.
      Williams. "But the risk is underestimating the impact."

      Quantum computers and most other applications are decades away, if
      indeed they can be built at all. Still, the enormous potential has led
      to programs at companies like IBM (IBM ) and Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ
      ). The Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is now
      beginning a major effort to construct a working quantum information
      processor. In all these efforts, "the goal is the control of quantum
      matter," says Immanuel Bloch of the Johannes Gutenberg University of
      Mainz. "It's a great challenge, but there are great rewards."

      For a glimpse of this endeavor, drop by the lab of William Phillips
      and his team in Gaithersburg, Md. Sprawling over a giant lab bench is
      a maze of precision mirrors and lasers, all converging on a small
      glass vacuum chamber where the quantum world is being probed. Phillips
      won his Nobel in 1997 for a technique known as laser cooling, in which
      beams are used to slow atoms down. That chills the atoms until they
      are a fraction of a degree above absolute zero. Now, using rubidium
      atoms, Phillips is making them even colder by letting the warmer ones
      "evaporate."

      PEAKS AND TROUGHS. Inside the glass chamber, he is creating the
      fragile Bose-Einstein condensate. The clump of atoms can be huge --
      big enough to be visible to the naked eye. At that scale, you would
      expect the stolid laws of Newtonian physics to rule. Instead, the
      atoms obey the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which specifies that
      an electron or atom can't be pinned down to any one location. Even
      though the clump is a tenth of a millimeter across and contains a
      million atoms, "every atom is everywhere -- that's what makes it so
      wonderful," says Williams.

      This strange state of matter was predicted by Einstein, building on
      work by Indian physicist Satyendra Nath Bose, back in 1924. It was
      first created by Phillips' NIST colleague, Eric A. Cornell, and Carl
      E. Wieman of the University of Colorado, in 1995 -- a Nobel
      prize-winning achievement. Now, an estimated 50 groups around the
      world are experimenting with the strange stuff. "It can do some
      amazing things," says Phillips.

      One of the most intriguing -- and potentially useful -- maneuvers in
      Phillips' lab involves putting the atoms into neat little rows. The
      trick is using precisely tuned laser light. Imagine dropping pebbles
      into a pond, sending waves across the water. Then drop pebbles at the
      opposite shore, dispatching waves in the other direction. Where the
      two groups of waves meet, they create so-called standing waves -- an
      unchanging collection of peaks and troughs, like a row of sand dunes
      in the desert.

      Laser light is also a wave. So two intersecting beams similarly create
      peaks and valleys. Scientists call this an optical lattice. And when
      Phillips and other researchers shine intersecting laser beams though
      the Bose-Einstein clump of atoms, individual atoms almost magically go
      from being everywhere at once to nestling in the valleys. "It's a
      great gift of nature," says Phillips. "We've been lucky that things
      worked better than expected."

      To information scientists, such a neat arrangement of atoms looks
      startlingly like the basis for a computer. It can be arranged that
      each atom is in one of two energy levels, separated by a small quantum
      jump. Thus, each atom could represent a 0 or a 1, like the bits in a
      regular computer.

      But these are no ordinary bits. Because of quantum weirdness, an atom
      can be a 0 and a 1 at the same time. What's more, the different
      quantum bits, or "qubits," can be entangled with each other, even if
      there is no actual connection. "Because of the mystery of
      entanglement, the state of one atom will be dependent on the state of
      the other," explains Williams. "It's a much stronger relationship than
      marriage." As a result, for some calculations, the power of a quantum
      machine grows exponentially with the number of qubits -- twice the
      bits gives you four times the power. A 300-qubit machine could store
      more combinations than there are atoms in the entire universe, says
      Williams.

      CLEVER ALTERNATIVES. Without doubt, there's a long, long path to
      building such a machine, and today's researchers have only begun the
      journey. Phillips and his team are now working on the next small step.
      They're trying to figure out how to get information to and from the
      individual qubits, by flipping the atoms from one state to the other
      with laser beams.

      Meanwhile, other labs are pursuing clever alternatives. At the
      University of Mainz, Bloch is also putting Bose-Einstein condensate
      atoms into the valleys of an optical lattice. His special twist is
      creating two simultaneous lattices with two different "colors" of
      laser beams. He also puts his atoms in two states at the same time.
      Then he can move one of the landscapes so that the atom particles
      interact in new ways. "We can entangle hundreds of thousands of atoms
      and measure the state of each particle," he says. "It is a completely
      new way of thinking about a quantum computer."

      Another tack is to use ions trapped in a magnetic field as qubits,
      instead of atoms in the optical lattice. Out in NIST's Boulder (Colo.)
      labs, David J. Wineland has built working logic gates -- a building
      block of computers -- using such ions. And many other groups are
      experimenting with tiny bits of semiconductor material, dubbed quantum
      dots.

      The ultimate payoff, however, is expected to go far beyond computing.
      Since the very act of observing quantum information changes it,
      communications that are encrypted with quantum "keys" could be sent
      safely across a network. The reason: Any attempt by spies to intercept
      the key would immediately be obvious, so users could switch to a
      different one.

      As exciting as these applications are, researchers are also thrilled
      by the basic science. Earlier this year, NIST physicist Deborah S. Jin
      created a state of matter called a fermionic condensate that is even
      rarer than the closely related Bose-Einstein materials. She managed to
      put atoms that don't normally like being next to each other into the
      same low-energy state. Her work could lead to a better understanding
      of superconductivity, which depends on similar pairs of quantum particles.

      Scientists are often surprised by what they encounter. Not long ago,
      Phillips was experimenting with faint laser beams, which unexpectedly
      impeded the movements of atoms. "We don't know if this is interesting
      new physics or some stupid mistake," he says. "In learning about
      quantum computing, we're at the forefront of fundamen- tal physics."
      That's how science and technology sometimes advance -- one small
      quantum step at a time.

      By John Carey in Gaithersburg, Md.
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13 10:43 AM
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > What'll they think of next??????????

        Hi Bob:

        This was a neat article. Talking about making the big computer light
        years ahead of what we know now makes me wonder about whether it
        would have consciousness or not.

        In my world view I think of the mind as a computer. One that is
        blown around by hormonal cocktails, habitual grooves, and
        stimulations of all sorts. It will act in predictable ways if left
        alone. But add the self scrutiny thingee, conscience (the witness,
        etc.), and no predictability is possible. The habits and hormones are
        not the only factor in decision making.

        I guess someone could believe that self scrutiny is not
        Consciousness, that the mind itself is checking on itself. But to
        me, that says that the mind would be in two places at once. Being
        something it is checking on. When I see myself, the mind continues
        to function but not in the same way. It is not like the runaway
        train it usually is, ideas morphing into other ideas, ad infinitum.
        It presents one idea at a time. And I remain constant while the
        ideas change.

        So that being my world view, my question is whether conciousness
        would appear in this supercomputer automatically at a certain point
        in sophistication. That is, is there a universal Consciousness that
        only needs the mechanism of a mind (or super-computer) to interact in
        the gross physical level of matter?

        If the answer is no, that seems to say that there is something in the
        mind's make-up, 'life' perhaps, that allows Consciousness a channel
        to participate. Something that is denied to the materials that make
        up the computer.

        I tend to think that all matter is alive and there may be other ways
        to build a mechanism for consciousness to peek into the physical. So
        I envision a computer that when turned on says "Hi, I am!!!"

        Then proceeds to whine and complain.

        Love
        Bobby G.

      • fantusi_999
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15 12:52 PM
          <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
          medit8ionsociety
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > What'll they think of next??????????
          >
          > Hi Bob:
          >
          > This was a neat article. Talking about making the big computer
          light
          > years ahead of what we know now makes me wonder about whether it
          > would have consciousness or not.
          >
          > In my world view I think of the mind as a computer. One that is
          > blown around by hormonal cocktails, habitual grooves, and
          > stimulations of all sorts. It will act in predictable ways if
          left
          > alone. But add the self scrutiny thingee, conscience (the
          witness,
          > etc.), and no predictability is possible. The habits and hormones
          are
          > not the only factor in decision making.
          >
          > I guess someone could believe that self scrutiny is not
          > Consciousness, that the mind itself is checking on itself. But to
          > me, that says that the mind would be in two places at once. Being
          > something it is checking on. When I see myself, the mind
          continues
          > to function but not in the same way. It is not like the runaway
          > train it usually is, ideas morphing into other ideas, ad
          infinitum.
          > It presents one idea at a time. And I remain constant while the
          > ideas change.
          >
          > So that being my world view, my question is whether conciousness
          > would appear in this supercomputer automatically at a certain
          point
          > in sophistication. That is, is there a universal Consciousness
          that
          > only needs the mechanism of a mind (or super-computer) to interact
          in
          > the gross physical level of matter?
          >
          > If the answer is no, that seems to say that there is something in
          the
          > mind's make-up, 'life' perhaps, that allows Consciousness a
          channel
          > to participate. Something that is denied to the materials that
          make
          > up the computer.
          >
          > I tend to think that all matter is alive and there may be other
          ways
          > to build a mechanism for consciousness to peek into the physical.
          So
          > I envision a computer that when turned on says "Hi, I am!!!"
          >
          > Then proceeds to whine and complain.
          >
          > Love
          > Bobby G.

          Ha, yes, proceeds to whine and complain! That's funny, Bobby.

          The whiner probably never complains about the complaining,
          though. It probably complains about those hormones and
          chemicals that are setting off alarms that the whiner has
          to go check on and figure out how to turn off. Does the
          complainer ever figure out that most of the alarms are being
          triggered by the whining of the complainer who then has to
          fuss over them and try to figure out how to turn them off?

          That's where the constant observer, whatever that may be,
          and who even knows what it is, has a distinct advantage.
          The mind's way of fixing is to tinker and tinker and tinker
          until just the right idea for the optimal feeling tone is
          constructed. That's hard work. The constant gets
          to let go and allow the mind to just uncrinkle and smooth out,
          and that's a whole lot easier.
        • texasbg2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15 7:18 PM
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "fantusi_999"
            <fantusi_999@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > Bobby G.
            >
            > Ha, yes, proceeds to whine and complain! That's funny, Bobby.
            >
            > The whiner probably never complains about the complaining,
            > though. It probably complains about those hormones and
            > chemicals that are setting off alarms that the whiner has
            > to go check on and figure out how to turn off. Does the
            > complainer ever figure out that most of the alarms are being
            > triggered by the whining of the complainer who then has to
            > fuss over them and try to figure out how to turn them off?
            >
            > That's where the constant observer, whatever that may be,
            > and who even knows what it is, has a distinct advantage.
            > The mind's way of fixing is to tinker and tinker and tinker
            > until just the right idea for the optimal feeling tone is
            > constructed. That's hard work. The constant gets
            > to let go and allow the mind to just uncrinkle and smooth out,

            Good point. Constant tinkering and tuning up with indulgences and
            distractions is a way of life today. I even think it is "ok'd" by
            the professionals.
            I agree if you let the mind relax and look at it, the trouble fades
            pretty quickly. A good lesson.

            I think it is called meditation. If you don't fall asleep.

            Love
            Bobby G.