Interesting Comment From Email

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
      One of our long time members had this to say about "Enlightened" people:

      "When someone is making judgements about someone else, this alone
      indicates that they see themselves as separate from the rest of
      creation, and red-flags their not being enlightened."

      Comments?
    • Jason Fishman
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
        Hi Bob,

        Not being a person set apart, then I couldn't say that I'm enlightened anymore then the next guy or gal. If it all moves together then we are all enlightened idiots, eh?

        Somehow that doesn't hold true. If there is a thing called enlightenment then it's something defined by the person perceiving an enlightened person, based on a set of standards that they call enlightenment. Calling someone a football player for example, shows that we perceive them playing football, a good football player when they fit inside those rules a bad one when they do not, and so forth.

        I would say that there are a great deal of enlightened folks, they just don't have much to say about it, since it's clear that the rules are moldable in such a way that there are no specifics about anyone, which holds true for anyone really, riding on the backs of past enlightened folks, taking cues on how to act, what limits are presented and so forth.

        Charles Mason is a pretty smart cookie, I'd even say pretty enlightened, set apart in such a way that he understood, very well I may add, how to be set apart. It seems silly to think of a murderous person as enlightened, yet people murder daily just to have a hamburger :-) Silly also to define yourself or anyone else as enlightened or idiots, when there really are no stable standards in which to judge.

        Peace and Love

        One of our long time members had this to say about "Enlightened" people:

        "When someone is making judgements about someone else, this alone
        indicates that they see themselves as separate from the rest of
        creation, and red-flags their not being enlightened."

        Comments?

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > One of our long time members had this to say about "Enlightened" people:
          >
          > "When someone is making judgements about someone else, this alone
          > indicates that they see themselves as separate from the rest of
          > creation, and red-flags their not being enlightened."
          >
          > Comments?

          Just another occluding expectation about enlightenment.

          To believe you will cease to distinguish between different
          people and objects, let alone discard critical thought, is
          just one of the many things people *BELIEVE* (rather than
          know experientially) about enlightenment.

          Believing such will only serve to create a template in
          the mind which enlightenment will not fit into (as it will
          not fit *ANY* template the mind creates for it.) The end
          result is the occlusion of understanding due to mistaken
          impressions about it being taken for fact rather than the
          fiction they are.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
            <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
            <no_reply@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > One of our long time members had this to say about "Enlightened"
            people:

            > > "When someone is making judgements about someone else, this alone
            > > indicates that they see themselves as separate from the rest of
            > > creation, and red-flags their not being enlightened."
            > >
            > > Comments?
            >
            > Just another occluding expectation about enlightenment.
            >
            > To believe you will cease to distinguish between different
            > people and objects, let alone discard critical thought, is
            > just one of the many things people *BELIEVE* (rather than
            > know experientially) about enlightenment.

            Dear Jodiji,
            Well, I hear what you are saying, and as with all your statements, I
            respect and value it, but perhaps your judgement of the statement
            being "Just another occluding expectation about enlightenment." may
            also be 'Just another occluding expectation about enlightenment' as
            well. And your saying that says it condones a belief that one ceases
            "to distinguish between different people and objects" may be just your
            unique extraploation of what was said. Viewed another way, I think it
            can be seen that the statement shows the basic discrimination and
            dispassion that are the foundations of Raja and Jnana Yoga, and not at
            all a discarding of critical thought (which actually may be what the
            fallen St. Martha might rightly call "a good thing").

            > Believing such will only serve to create a template in
            > the mind which enlightenment will not fit into (as it will
            > not fit *ANY* template the mind creates for it.)

            Yes, I like and agree with the template/concept that enlightenment
            will not fit into...any template the mind creates.

            > The end
            > result is the occlusion of understanding due to mistaken
            > impressions about it being taken for fact rather than the
            > fiction they are.

            Well, couldn't this be seen as a judgement about the state of the
            writer, and that they aren't enlightened, and know by experience of
            what they are sharing here? And that what you have said is fact and
            not fiction, but not so for what they said. Quite a judgement....and
            to go back to the initial statement, does this mean that there are red
            flags going up?

            In any event, thanks for the good stuff. As always, your insight is
            conducive to self inquiry and that surely is "a good thing".
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
              <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Bob,
              >
              > Not being a person set apart, then I couldn't say that I'm
              enlightened anymore then the next guy or gal. If it all moves together
              then we are all enlightened idiots, eh?

              > Somehow that doesn't hold true. If there is a thing called
              enlightenment then it's something defined by the person perceiving an
              enlightened person, based on a set of standards that they call
              enlightenment. Calling someone a football player for example, shows
              that we perceive them playing football, a good football player when
              they fit inside those rules a bad one when they do not, and so forth.

              > I would say that there are a great deal of enlightened folks, they
              just don't have much to say about it, since it's clear that the rules
              are moldable in such a way that there are no specifics about anyone,
              which holds true for anyone really, riding on the backs of past
              enlightened folks, taking cues on how to act, what limits are
              presented and so forth.

              > Charles Mason is a pretty smart cookie, I'd even say pretty
              enlightened, set apart in such a way that he understood, very well I
              may add, how to be set apart. It seems silly to think of a murderous
              person as enlightened, yet people murder daily just to have a
              hamburger :-) Silly also to define yourself or anyone else as
              enlightened or idiots, when there really are no stable standards in
              which to judge.

              > Peace and Love

              Dear Sri Jason,
              You never cease to impress me. Charles Manson! Wow! I actually use him
              as a basic proof of how weird the universe is. Whenever someone I know
              gets deathly ill, injured, dies, or some similar negative thing, I
              commonly say "And Charles Manson is healthy! I gotta ask God what
              that's all about when I run into him"
              Yes, I guess we're all enlightened idiots for sure! Thanks for the
              reminder:-)

              > medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > One of our long time members had this to say about "Enlightened" people:
              >
              > "When someone is making judgements about someone else, this alone
              > indicates that they see themselves as separate from the rest of
              > creation, and red-flags their not being enlightened."
              >
              > Comments?

            • texasbg2000
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > One of our long time members had this to say about "Enlightened"
                people:

                > "When someone is making judgements about someone else, this alone
                > indicates that they see themselves as separate from the rest of
                > creation, and red-flags their not being enlightened."
                >
                > Comments?

                Hi Bob:

                I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse, but...

                it seems to me that making judgments about others is indeed an
                indication of "'being' absorbed in one's mind".

                Love
                Bobby G.
              • Jason Fishman
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004

                  <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi Bob,

                  > Not being a person set apart, then I couldn't say that I'm
                  enlightened anymore then the next guy or gal. If it all moves together
                  then we are all enlightened idiots, eh?

                  > Somehow that doesn't hold true. If there is a thing called
                  enlightenment then it's something defined by the person perceiving an
                  enlightened person, based on a set of standards that they call
                  enlightenment. Calling someone a football player for example, shows
                  that we perceive them playing football, a good football player when
                  they fit inside those rules a bad one when they do not, and so forth.

                  > I would say that there are a great deal of enlightened folks, they
                  just don't have much to say about it, since it's clear that the rules
                  are moldable in such a way that there are no specifics about anyone,
                  which holds true for anyone really, riding on the backs of past
                  enlightened folks, taking cues on how to act, what limits are
                  presented and so forth.

                  > Charles Mason is a pretty smart cookie, I'd even say pretty
                  enlightened, set apart in such a way that he understood, very well I
                  may add, how to be set apart. It seems silly to think of a murderous
                  person as enlightened, yet people murder daily just to have a
                  hamburger :-) Silly also to define yourself or anyone else as
                  enlightened or idiots, when there really are no stable standards in
                  which to judge.

                  > Peace and Love

                  Dear Sri Jason,
                  You never cease to impress me. Charles Manson! Wow! I actually use him
                  as a basic proof of how weird the universe is. Whenever someone I know
                  gets deathly ill, injured, dies, or some similar negative thing, I
                  commonly say "And Charles Manson is healthy! I gotta ask God what
                  that's all about when I run into him"
                  Yes, I guess we're all enlightened idiots for sure! Thanks for the
                  reminder:-)

                  Well Bob, I'm not sure if your joking about asking god or not, but there won't be a God that is going to explain the actions of the universe to anyone.

                  If there was a God that would pick out a specific member to do his work, then I certainly wouldn't be able to trust that god. God then to me would be no more then an individual manipulating the universe in his/her idea of what it should be.

                  The truth of the matter is no amount of prayer will give a human the power to move mountains or cheat death. Going out in the world, doing the living on your own isn't possible within the frame of god's will. Making choices, progression through time, experience and so forth are all limited within the frame of being and that frame is between a begining and an end, when there really is no solid conclusion one can make about any of this, God is in the cards as well as the stars and not making judgements about how anyone acts. The freedom of being an individual along with the responsibility that entails to the living.

                  Peace and Love

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
                    > <no_reply@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > One of our long time members had this to say about "Enlightened"
                    > people:
                    > > >
                    > > > "When someone is making judgements about someone else, this alone
                    > > > indicates that they see themselves as separate from the rest of
                    > > > creation, and red-flags their not being enlightened."
                    > > >
                    > > > Comments?
                    > >
                    > > Just another occluding expectation about enlightenment.
                    > >
                    > > To believe you will cease to distinguish between different
                    > > people and objects, let alone discard critical thought, is
                    > > just one of the many things people *BELIEVE* (rather than
                    > > know experientially) about enlightenment.
                    >
                    > Dear Jodiji,
                    > Well, I hear what you are saying, and as with all your statements, I
                    > respect and value it, but perhaps your judgement of the statement
                    > being "Just another occluding expectation about enlightenment." may
                    > also be 'Just another occluding expectation about enlightenment' as
                    > well.

                    I suppose Bob. However, any expectation about the experience of
                    a realizer made by a non-realizer has no basis in fact, as only those
                    who are realizers are in possession of the "facts." But even if a
                    realizer made the above characterization, s/he is only speaking out
                    of their own experience. Realizers, like all people, are as individual
                    as snowflakes. One realizer may find no reason to evaluate the
                    statements of others, another may spend all his time doing so.

                    There are many examples of enlightened assholes. Nirsagadatta
                    and U.G. Krishnamurti come to mind. Ramakrishna could also be
                    quite the jerk in certain, limited circumstances, as were his two
                    main disciples Vivekananda and Brahmananda, depending on the
                    circumstances.

                    > And your saying that says it condones a belief that one ceases
                    > "to distinguish between different people and objects" may be just your
                    > unique extraploation of what was said.

                    True.

                    > Viewed another way, I think it
                    > can be seen that the statement shows the basic discrimination and
                    > dispassion that are the foundations of Raja and Jnana Yoga, and not at
                    > all a discarding of critical thought (which actually may be what the
                    > fallen St. Martha might rightly call "a good thing").

                    Again, we can look toward Vivekananda as an example of a realizer
                    who was full of critical judgements and not afraid to express them,
                    often much to the chargrin of his Western hosts. He travelled coast-
                    to-coast in America in the end of the 19th century on a lecture/debating
                    tour where he regularly handed his opponents a new round rear-end
                    orifice.

                    > > Believing such will only serve to create a template in
                    > > the mind which enlightenment will not fit into (as it will
                    > > not fit *ANY* template the mind creates for it.)
                    >
                    > Yes, I like and agree with the template/concept that enlightenment
                    > will not fit into...any template the mind creates.

                    And spiritual culture is literally *brimming* with these templates.
                    Our writer's comments, regardless of where they are coming from
                    experientially, only serve to distribute and reinforce one such
                    template, that of enlightened folk always being nice and never
                    having a reason to critique the statements of another.

                    > > The end
                    > > result is the occlusion of understanding due to mistaken
                    > > impressions about it being taken for fact rather than the
                    > > fiction they are.
                    >
                    > Well, couldn't this be seen as a judgement about the state of the
                    > writer, and that they aren't enlightened, and know by experience of
                    > what they are sharing here?

                    That's one reading of it, and probably the closest to my intent.
                    But, if we accept the writer as enlightened, then s/he is just
                    imposing their personal definition of enlightenment, based on
                    their own patterns of behavior and expectations for themselves.

                    It follows the contours of the standard Vedic boilerplate about
                    what enlightenment is and what it results in vis å vis the person
                    it apparently happens to. But I've found in my own experience
                    out of my own life, and that of my friends whom I would call
                    jnanis, that enlightenment has no standard with regards to the
                    individuals who come under its umbrella. IOW, there's just as
                    many personal and individual differences in the enlightened
                    as the unenlightened. Enlightenment doesn't change who you
                    were, at least not all at once, at least not in every case.

                    There is a brain, and that brain connects to memories, and
                    these memories and patterns of behavior change over time,
                    usually quite slowly, rather than all at once. So, while the
                    understanding we are calling enlightenment is the same in
                    terms of what becomes known to that life, the characteristics
                    of that life are probably going to keep rolling in the same
                    general manner that it always has.

                    > And that what you have said is fact and
                    > not fiction, but not so for what they said. Quite a judgement....and
                    > to go back to the initial statement, does this mean that there are red
                    > flags going up?

                    The red flags of others have no bearing on 'this' or my life
                    as an expounder on 'this'. I'm quite aware as an individual that
                    I come off as an over-opinionated asshole, and I expect nobody
                    to take my word for my own understanding. IOW, I send red flags
                    up in others all the time, and it changes nothing with regards to
                    what I as an individual know, or my convictions about what I am
                    saying.

                    I suppose others would call that pig-headed. All I can really
                    say to them is, "Oink, oink." ;)

                    > In any event, thanks for the good stuff. As always, your insight is
                    > conducive to self inquiry and that surely is "a good thing".
                    > Peace and blessings,
                    > Bob

                    No prob Bob. I'd apologize for giving enlightenment a bad name,
                    but I see that as a good thing, as it helps to tear down those
                    expectations and occluding templates that so many are trying
                    to fit into their heads as a way to come to the understanding
                    they seek.

                    --jody.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
                      <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > One of our long time members had this to say about "Enlightened"
                      > people:
                      > >
                      > > "When someone is making judgements about someone else, this alone
                      > > indicates that they see themselves as separate from the rest of
                      > > creation, and red-flags their not being enlightened."
                      > >
                      > > Comments?
                      >
                      > Hi Bob:
                      >
                      > I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse, but...
                      >
                      > it seems to me that making judgments about others is indeed an
                      > indication of "'being' absorbed in one's mind".
                      >
                      > Love
                      > Bobby G.

                      Yo Bobby G,
                      Actually, I think what we see on these lists that could be called
                      "beating a dead horse" are the ever ongoing judgements about others
                      states of consciousness. And to me too, this is certainly "'being'
                      absorbed in one's mind". And I think that we all have better things to
                      do than that:-)