Re: new to group

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "harry"
      <effne@l...> wrote:
      > Hi All
      >
      > My name is Harry and I live in the UK (someone has to!) I've often
      > thought about meditation but never bothered learn nore. Now I'm
      > sorry to say I have an ulteia motive for being here.
      >
      > My wife has a condition known as CRPS (complex regional pain
      > syndrome), its been likened to putting your hand in boiling water
      > and never being able to take it out, in her case it is in her leg.
      > Drugs dont help much, she is on the strongest possible and she says
      > it only takes the edge off.
      >
      > We asked at the pain clinic about meditation and he said 'it cant
      > hurt' smilling, but he did not say where or how to learn.
      >
      > Well thats us and why we are here.
      >
      > Thanks for letting us join.
      >
      > Harry

      Dear Harry,
      I am confident that you and your wife can benefit greatly from
      meditation. As an RN, I've had the experience of seeing a patients
      pain go away just by distracting them by talking about something they
      are interested in. I particularly remember watching as a nurse chatted
      with the patient whose pain was the hardest for us to control
      chemically, about the local baseball team, and the patient comnpletely
      forgetting the pain. This connects with Sandeep's correct observation
      that pain can be very associated and primed by the mind, as well as
      physically.

      On our web site, Meditation Station, we have a good healing technique
      that has been used successfully by many, and can be found on many
      other sites as well (like the physicians againstpain site), that has a
      pain relief component in it. Here's the URL:

      We also have a Guided Meditation CD that I will be glad to mail you
      that has 7 different guided techniques which will be able to teach
      your wife how to meditate as well as let her guide and control her
      attention towards the objects of her meditation and away from her
      pain. Just email me with a mailing address, and I'll send it right
      out. The Email # is: medit8@...

      In any event, I feel you both will be pleased by the results you get
      from meditation in dealing with pain. It also has the potential to let
      you find the root causes of stressors that affect one daily and
      prevent the calm that allows our mind and emotions, as well as our
      body, to flow functionally with maximum wellness. And, as you were
      told, it can't hurt :-)
      I wish you both all good.