Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 211

  • Ramon Sender
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2002

      > Subject: Several questions from Email
      >
      > 3. One last thing, how can you be in peace with the thought of
      > someone who has hurted you and neglected you even though you cared
      > for this person that best you could? How can you keep away from
      > hatred, from pressure of later showing to this someone that she will
      > regret having left you?

      I ran across something recently that shed new light on forgiveness for me:

      "John Patton, in a book called "Is Human Forgiveness Possible", maintains
      that the difficulty in forgiving arises from the fact that what we are
      really
      dealing with when we have been wounded is our own shame, not the guilt of
      the other person. In focusing on trying to forgive the guilt of the other
      person, we fail to face the real issue, which is the shame the other
      person's offense has brought upon us. From this, Patton maintains that
      forgiveness cannot be an act of the will. Forgiveness is an act of
      discovery.

      "To forgive is to set the prisoner free, and then discover the prisoner was
      you."