Re: [Meditation Society of America] What_some_experienced_meditators_can_do_that

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Richard
      <revo753@y...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > How does one achieve this state?
      >
      > Best Wishes....
      >

      > Richard

      Dear Richard,

      In a way, that's what Raja Yoga (the yoga of meditation) is all about.
      One removes the obstacles/distractions to meditation (by control of
      the senses and breath, discrimination, dispassion, etc.). Then
      practice concentration (on an external point, symbol, image or
      picture; or on an internal point, symbol, image or picture; or on
      universal existence or some other concept). And then the state of
      Meditation comes to you. This is characterized by an effortless steady
      flow of impressions. There is still a duality here. One object and one
      subject. And this is followed by the state of Contemplation, which is
      absorbation in the object of meditation. This is unification/Oneness.

      To sum it up in a way, and to share a classic story, let's say this:
      A Zen Master was once asked how to achieve the state of Satori
      (enlightenment/cosmic consciousness/nirvana/etc.), and his answer was
      "Attention". And when asked to expound on that, he said "Attention,
      attention, attention."
      And to pay attention, we make the effort to remove our reactivity to
      distracting things, and then concentrate fully on the object of our
      meditation. And then meditation and contemplation simply, effortlessly
      comes to us. We have always had the potential to have the kind of
      Self-control and Self-knowledge to be able act, and not just react to
      the events in our life as they take place, and Raja Yoga/meditation is
      perhaps the most commonly "successful" methodology for having this
      become our experience and not just one of our concepts.

      I hope this is of some help.