Re: [Meditation Society of America] What_some_experienced_meditators_can_do_that_others_can’t

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20 6:37 AM
      Hello,

      How does one achieve this state?

      Best Wishes....

      Richard

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20 7:52 AM
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Richard
        <revo753@y...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > How does one achieve this state?
        >
        > Best Wishes....
        >

        > Richard

        Dear Richard,

        In a way, that's what Raja Yoga (the yoga of meditation) is all about.
        One removes the obstacles/distractions to meditation (by control of
        the senses and breath, discrimination, dispassion, etc.). Then
        practice concentration (on an external point, symbol, image or
        picture; or on an internal point, symbol, image or picture; or on
        universal existence or some other concept). And then the state of
        Meditation comes to you. This is characterized by an effortless steady
        flow of impressions. There is still a duality here. One object and one
        subject. And this is followed by the state of Contemplation, which is
        absorbation in the object of meditation. This is unification/Oneness.

        To sum it up in a way, and to share a classic story, let's say this:
        A Zen Master was once asked how to achieve the state of Satori
        (enlightenment/cosmic consciousness/nirvana/etc.), and his answer was
        "Attention". And when asked to expound on that, he said "Attention,
        attention, attention."
        And to pay attention, we make the effort to remove our reactivity to
        distracting things, and then concentrate fully on the object of our
        meditation. And then meditation and contemplation simply, effortlessly
        comes to us. We have always had the potential to have the kind of
        Self-control and Self-knowledge to be able act, and not just react to
        the events in our life as they take place, and Raja Yoga/meditation is
        perhaps the most commonly "successful" methodology for having this
        become our experience and not just one of our concepts.

        I hope this is of some help.