What some experienced meditators can do that others can’t

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2004
      When doing a physical task, like changing a flat tire, they don't let
      their emotions get involved or their mind start commenting about the
      situation. They just change the tire. And when there is an emotional
      situation, like calming a crying child, they use their emotions, and
      not their intellect or physicality. And they send their soothing vibe
      to the child. When they are faced with an experience requiring their
      intelligence to be involved, like figuring out their taxes, they don't
      permit their body to get uptight or their emotions to soar. They
      simply get the task done. And always in all ways, they are in touch
      with their inner Witness, which is never-changing, and is always aware
      of the present, ever-changing activities of their body, emotions, and
      mind. This methodology saves energy instead of squandering it, and
      this energy is then applied to consciousness evolving creativity.
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2004
        Hello,

        How does one achieve this state?

        Best Wishes....

        Richard

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2004
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Richard
          <revo753@y...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > How does one achieve this state?
          >
          > Best Wishes....
          >

          > Richard

          Dear Richard,

          In a way, that's what Raja Yoga (the yoga of meditation) is all about.
          One removes the obstacles/distractions to meditation (by control of
          the senses and breath, discrimination, dispassion, etc.). Then
          practice concentration (on an external point, symbol, image or
          picture; or on an internal point, symbol, image or picture; or on
          universal existence or some other concept). And then the state of
          Meditation comes to you. This is characterized by an effortless steady
          flow of impressions. There is still a duality here. One object and one
          subject. And this is followed by the state of Contemplation, which is
          absorbation in the object of meditation. This is unification/Oneness.

          To sum it up in a way, and to share a classic story, let's say this:
          A Zen Master was once asked how to achieve the state of Satori
          (enlightenment/cosmic consciousness/nirvana/etc.), and his answer was
          "Attention". And when asked to expound on that, he said "Attention,
          attention, attention."
          And to pay attention, we make the effort to remove our reactivity to
          distracting things, and then concentrate fully on the object of our
          meditation. And then meditation and contemplation simply, effortlessly
          comes to us. We have always had the potential to have the kind of
          Self-control and Self-knowledge to be able act, and not just react to
          the events in our life as they take place, and Raja Yoga/meditation is
          perhaps the most commonly "successful" methodology for having this
          become our experience and not just one of our concepts.

          I hope this is of some help.