About Mullah Nasrudin Stories

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2004
      In answer to an email about the great one, it is often considered that
      when there is a mention of his donkey, it represents his/our mind and
      its in/capability for paying attention. So, when seeking the "hidden"
      teachings in the Nasrudin stories, this may come into play, and should
      be considered. And what we can learn from this is to pay attention to
      attention (or the lack of it), and as we learn of the multiple selves
      we have within us, this knowledge is said to lead to a unified "Real
      Self". And here's a typical Nasrudin donkey tale possibly worth
      meditating about, and certainly worth laughing at (just like our mind
      is:-):

      Nasrudin rode his donkey furiously back and forth, all over and around
      the town, raising such a cloud of dust and ruckus that all of the
      townspeople came out of their homes.
      "What are you doing?" they said.
      Nasrudin stopped, "I'm looking for my donkey".