Re: childbirth

  • Onniko
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8 7:02 PM
      <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > A close friend has invited me to be present at her
      > labor and delivery to help her practice yoga and
      > breathing. I think it is a great idea, and have even
      > considered it for myself, independently of her request.
      > However, while I would be happy to help her however I can,
      > I have little experience in this area. Thank goodness we
      > have a few months to prepare for this together.
      >
      > I was wondering if anyone has had experience using
      > yoga asana, breathing techniques, or meditation
      > during childbirth. Any other advise on how to go about
      > this would be welcomed, too.
      >
      > You're welcome to email me personally if it seems
      > off-topic to this list.
      >
      > thanks,
      > Nina

      *v* Hi Nina, although this may sound tongue in cheek, it isn't meant
      to be. The best childbirth is a zen childbirth. The most helpful
      thing your friend could do for herself is to stay away from the
      hospital and do what instinct dictates. To keep moving is what the
      smart animal in us wants to do. A sincere desire to clean house
      stop eating and drinking, and be away from all unessential other
      people is what labor is all about. No woman in their right mind ever
      lies down as they would in a hospital, but will move around
      energetically until the end at which time the only acceptable breath
      is panting and the 'yoga' position becomes dependant upon the
      position of the baby. So, while incorporating
      yoga and breathing techniques might seem like a great idea, nature
      is sure of what should be done if only the one in labor is able to
      follow unencumbered by those around her. For birth, zen rules. Of
      course you are lucky to be around any that you can. There's no
      good charge of energy like there is in a good birth.