Re: yielding, pallavi's question and pranayama

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody"
      <melodyande@c...> wrote:

> [...]
      > bodies]....whether 'natural', or man-made,
      >

      > as well as a sense of 'flow' [where the sense of
      > individuality, and all the accompanying past future
      > associations, are suspended].
      >

      > Is that too simplistic an observation?
      >

      > > In yoga, the most widely seen symbol of 'yielding' is
      > > anjali mudra, or prayer position. Left meeting right
      > > and right meeting left. Typically, to find 'equal
      > > pressure', it takes a bit of 'back and forth'.
      >

      > Like finding the centering point on a set of scales?
      >

      > > > And to what extent does concerns over
      > > > future rewards or consequences have
      > > > in one's ability to have ones inte-rest
      > > > completely on the 'body' of the presentation -
      > > >
      > > > rather than on the gravitational effect
      > > > of the way that presentation impacted
      > > > our own 'body'?
      > > >
      > > > How could the experience of having
      > > > "no-center", as opposed to having a center
      > > > which can be manipulated or pushed
      > > > or pulled,
      > > >
      > > > alter the mind's discernment?
      > > >
      > > > These are the types of questions that
      > > > interest me, in the context of earlier
      > > > insights and discussions.
      > >
      > > Well then, please share your insights into your
      > > questions. I'd love to read them.
      > >
      > > Nina
      >

      > My initial thought was that the mind's
      > attempts to know or expose the motivation
      > behind an [outside] movement affecting
      > its course
      >
      > appeared to succeed in pulling the body/mind
      > off balance.
      >
      > (Not saying my perception was "for sure",
      > of course.....only revealing what I 'saw'.)
      >
      > I was wondering if perhaps there was some
      > pointer in your earlier offering , from
      > the thread "Focalization-body, a map of consciousness"
      > in which you offered Dona Holleman's 'take' on
      > embodiment, and the dynamic of body/no-body:
      >

      > "To be totally attentive to the body means that you are
      > interested in the body and in the movement. 'Interest' in
      > Latin, as we said before, means 'to be inside'. It is the
      > moment of being inter-ested, being 'inside' the movement
      > or the posture as the posture unfolds that makes it complete.
      > There is no future reward and no retreating involved, but it
      > is only the moment as it is there. So the body is completely
      > filled with the mind. The mind fills the body completely
      > from the bone structure to the skin structure, while as long
      > as there is a future reward the mind is very small within the
      > skin and so there is a lot of empty space in the body."
      >

      > Maybe it's possible to relate the observation above,
      > to that of the work of "yielding".
      >

      > Concerning 'yielding' in traffic, it's a balance
      > between being 'mindful' of the laws, and going
      > beyond mind (or reason, or memory) and getting
      > into the 'flow' (no mind.)
      >
      > To do one, without the other, you're apt
      > to crash the vehicle. :-)
      >

      > I see that this now weaves back into Freyja's
      > posting of the lyrics of the song "The Rose",
      > and to the discussion about discernment.
      >
      > And the question arises,
      >
      > what place does "discerning the motives of

      It is 'getting familiar', it is understanding
      the underlying questions, so that it may actually
      be yielding. A meeting of minds entails that minds
      be revealed.

      > More specificially,
      >
      > is suspicion, in and of itself, an
      > indicator that the balance between
      > 'mind' and 'flow' has been lost?
      >
      > It seems, from here, that suspicion,
      > reveals desire to 'manage' the flow,
      > [or outcome] rather than dissolve into it.

      Or, think of it this way:

      Suspicion, and its foil, intent, are two
      forces, that meet in the middle.

      Suspicion is part of that flow,
      even as it informs it.

      Intent is part of that flow,
      even as it informs it.

      By the way, Melody, it is all how you
      look at it. What is Suspicion, other than
      Intuition valued differently?

      > I'd look forward to hearing your
      > take on this.

      > It seems, from here, that suspicion,
      > reveals desire to 'manage' the flow,
      > [or outcome] rather than dissolve into it.

      Let's talk about pranayama, which is often translated
      as 'breath control'.

      The overall practice begins not with control,
      but with observation. One lies down, and watches
      the breath, to come to know that place where
      body and breath meet. There is, in the beginning,
      a lot of pushing, pulling, and reaching that may
      be observed, as the diaphragm may be stiff, the
      organs hard, or the lungs and ribs gripping.

      One gradually learns to remove these bodily
      obstacles to the breath, and to allow the breath
      to move more freely through the body. This is
      the dawning of a yielding between body and breath,
      where the body billows out around the breath.

      Control, is inherent, in what James (nisarga)
      terms 'the fourfold breath'. It is always,
      inhale, slight pause, exhale, pause.

      Once this is recognized, control is beside the point.
      What you have done, is 'controlled yourself', gotten
      yourself out of the way, such that the yielding may
      be experienced. So, it is revealed that it is not YOU
      who is controlling the breath, but rather, the BREATH
      that is controlling you. It's yielding relationship
      with the body is the grail of the practice of pranayama,
      and as such, it is the control.

      So, whatever may be said about the Pallavi discussion,
      it may be seen that each of us were contributing our own
      'controls' (as written into our inter-ests, and as
      initially felt as 'obstacles'). It was in getting to
      know these individual 'controls' that resolution (the
      coming into view of a context) grew. However, there was,
      inherent and underlying this whole process, a greater
      control, the 'overcontrol', if you will, which might be
      termed 'the drive towards meeting of minds'... even
      when it didn't apparently look that way.

      Nina