Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Pallavi's question

  • Jason Fishman
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004

      Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

      Whatever, we each in our own
      way took Sandeepji's bait --
      you to express generosity with
      (your and other folks') material
      wealth, me to point out some
      deft game-playing on Sandeepji's
      part.

      So, there is bait? A game between the haves and have nots can easily be taken out in football field or any other sports venue, which doesn't neccesarily have to envolve weapons of the haves protecting their goods from the have nots. If it's entertainment one see's when watching people dying long slow and very painful deaths then that seems like it can be avoided. I'd be hard pressed to honestly say that human life conditions, over the centuries hasn't gotten "better" through all this turmoil. Although I'm certain, looking through non-dualist eyes, sees this as hoopla. Sandeep has offered up a group that appeals to the thoughts of a better governing body (if for no other reason then his own amusment) which has often sparked some pretty wonderfully thought out debates or bait, as the case may be.

      The meditative state is
      one of equanimity to either ilk
      of response -- creation is
      perfect with or without human
      material generosity (a perogative
      of the relatively wealthy) and
      selfishness (if not overdone, a
      simple survival trait) or, for
      that matter, the ancient (but
      merely apparent) dichotomy
      between the two.

      Great, I'm certainly glad that you have the meditative state down to a science, material generosity (in the aspect of food and viable shelter) isn't even where I was looking. If anywhere it would be in exemplifying a generosity between the local haves and have nots.

      The Global society has been born with the advent of technologies to traverse distances in shorter periods of time and carrier more people. We basicly use this technology to trade goods travel or go off to war, yet at home (the source of those goods, even in simple concept) is how we go about our daily lives. I'm addressing what can be done at home (so to speak) as to have a system that works a little better (more even keeled) that is more self reliant. It's very apparent that all one has to offer is ablility to enjoy life without hinderence of food loss, shelter dismantaling, and a way to keep things somewhat balanced. To you there may be no way, everything is functioning just fine, that is your contribution as noted, within your ability.

      Peace and love

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Melody
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004

        > > What would you Nina, like to answer her?
        >
        > No, no, you posted the original, please do go first as
        > regards what you would like to answer her.
        >
        > Nina

        Here....I'll start.

        Dear Pallavi,

        The reason why some kids are concerned with
        flavors of ice cream, while other kids are
        concerned with surviving

        can be found within the question itself:
        the word "other".

        As long as some people are regarded as
        "not us", they will need to keep scratching
        and clawing for their physical survival.
      • Onniko
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
          <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:

          > Gene Poole <gene_poole@q...> wrote:
          >
          > It appears to me that this powerpoint file was
          > NOT created by a 12YO girl, although one may
          > have been involved in its production.
          >
          > ___ Not very relevant, either way who the author was/is or the
          intent.

          > I agree with Nina and Bruce's assessment; and
          > although some discussion has been forthcoming,
          > my suggestion is that yes, the thing is definitely
          > manipulative and yes, it does assume that there is
          > already a context within the 'reader' which will be
          > prompted to react in a certain predictable way, as
          > has Jason.
          >
          > ___ I suppose I could have easily discarded it with the junk mail,
          that seems to be a pretty predictable way as well.

          > Babies? Puppies? Kittens?
          >
          > Dead babies? Where are the
          > dead puppies and dead kittens?
          >
          > ___ Death isn't at odds here, nor is it being presented that it's
          only a child that suffers at the hands of the haves greedy fingers.
          The suffering of animals is fairly relevent as well, but since we
          have no real, put forth ability to reduce this long time standing of
          suffering people (at the hands of haves), we'd be hard pressed to
          reduce the suffering scenerio of animals as well. This presentation
          just happened to be from a supposed 12 year old (I have an eleven
          year old that has done some similar presentations quite on his own.)

          *v* That's a good point, Jason. It's actually very typical
          of that age group as their creative efforts are often
          directed to emotional areas of life. The concrete is being
          expanded to the abstract and the area of compassion for
          others is being explored.

          Presentation from adults describe similar situations and a need for
          help in those areas. If all this is so well known and typical, then
          the answer should be pretty typical and well known as well.
          Apparently belaboring intent is the answer? HaHa.

          > Peace and Love

        • carolina112900
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
            Gene.

            What can I do if in this
            case you are mistaking sanity
            for drunkenness?

            Nothing.

            Think what you want, OK?

            ~~freyja

            <gene_poole@q...> wrote:
            > >freyjartist@a... wrote: (attribution manually added by author)
            >
            > Gene Had written:
            >
            > > <<It appears to me that this powerpoint file was
            > > NOT created by a 12YO girl, although one may
            > > have been involved in its production.
            > >
            > > I agree with Nina and Bruce's assessment; and
            > > although some discussion has been forthcoming,
            > > my suggestion is that yes, the thing is definitely
            > > manipulative and yes, it does assume that there is
            > > already a context within the 'reader' which will be
            > > prompted to react in a certain predictable way, as
            > > has Jason.
            > >
            > > Babies? Puppies? Kittens?
            > >
            > > Dead babies? Where are the
            > > dead puppies and dead kittens?
            > >
            > > And Freyja, are you drunk, or what?>>
            > >

            > Freya responded:
            >
            > > Drunk? Why? because
            > > you're not agreeing with
            > > my assessment?
            >
            > You call that an 'assessment'?
            >
            > > Which does
            > > not obviously align with Nina and Bruce's?
            > > Not drunk, just getting radical here
            > > today.
            >
            > A well-known behaviour of the intoxicated.
            >
            > > The thing is manipulative
            > > IF you see it that way,
            > > that's all, but it doesn't
            > > mean it absolutely is.
            >
            > 'Absolutely' was not an attribute
            > assigned by me!
            >
            > (straw-man argument fails)
            >
            > > The other thing
            > > is, it depends who is viewing
            > > the thing, who it is being shown to,
            > > what are the qualities of
            > > the demographic sample.
            >
            > Well, duh!
            >
            > (appeal to popularity argument fails)
            >
            > > People on this list may have differing
            > > reactions, but in the spirit of self-inquiry,
            > > which I am sure is occuring in many of the
            > > members,
            > > there is no need to dismiss this piece
            > > out of hand as "manipulative".
            >
            > 'Dismiss'? I did not 'dismiss' it at all!
            >
            > Your 'assessment' is still requested!
            >
            > So far, you have 'assessed' only the
            > other 'assessors'.
            >
            > > <<Good grief!
            > >
            > > Oh yeah? so what does Lucy
            > > say to Charlie Brown when
            > > he says "Good Grief?"
            > >
            > > "You're such a bonehead, Charlie Brown!"
            > >
            > > ~~freyja
            >
            > Projections noted!
            >

            > ==Gene Poole==
          • sandeep
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
              Deception,

              manipulations,

              modus-operandi,

              guilt,

              intentions,

              canniness deciphering through canniness,

              true compassion versus shame,

              needing a context to reply to a kid ....

              ......all from a set of pictures put together by a kid.

              The making of the presentation, the collection of the pictures, using the contrast between an ice-cream and survival,....sure,... that is savy young mind at work.

              It is not a  bewildered presentation.

              The bewilderment is in Pallavi seeing her world, as she sees it, ..........where,........ in her words "if I am not asking for someone else's ice-cream, why cannot I be left alive, unhurt and not hungry, and with my Papa".

              Yes Jason, it was/is essentially for her,........ " Why has it to be this way?"

              If anybody has an answer for Pallavi and you are moved to articulate it,..........do so.

              The rest of the load of crap,............... just uses up band-width.

              Thank you Melody
              Why am I not suprised that you, if at all you would respond, ..........it would be to Pallavi....:-).

              Nina, what was my answer?

              Nothing.Or not in words.

              I just held Pallavi in my arms, till her sobs ceased.

              Maybe, some other time, words may be needed.

              I will await for that need, the moment of that need and for the words to arise in that moment.

              If they do.

              Jason, you were intrigued why that file to this List and not to others.
              It has got uploaded to a few more.
              Any particular one that you feel I have missed?

              To most on the Democracy List, I had sent as personal emails. Many bounced back, after hours of uploading time.
              Hence decided the List route.

              Bob,.............Yes.

              And Freyja,.................:-)

              As you see, a live display of.........an arriving moment,................the immediate rising of a "what else is there to that moment".

              > > regards what you would like to answer her.
              > >
              > > Nina
              >

              > Here....I'll
              start.

              > Dear Pallavi,
              >
              > The reason why
              some kids are concerned with
              > flavors of ice cream, while other kids
              are
              > concerned with surviving
              >
              > can be found within the
              question itself:
              > the word "other".
              >
              > As long as some
              people are regarded as
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004

                sandeep <sandeepc@...> wrote:
                Deception,

                manipulations,

                modus-operandi,

                guilt,

                intentions,

                canniness deciphering through canniness,

                true compassion versus shame,

                needing a context to reply to a kid ....

                ___ Yup all this on a meditation group, none the less. Simply ironic.

                ......all from a set of pictures put together by a kid.

                The making of the presentation, the collection of the pictures, using the contrast between an ice-cream and survival,....sure,... that is savy young mind at work.

                It is not a  bewildered presentation.

                The bewilderment is in Pallavi seeing her world, as she sees it, ..........where,........ in her words "if I am not asking for someone else's ice-cream, why cannot I be left alive, unhurt and not hungry, and with my Papa".

                Yes Jason, it was/is essentially for her,........ " Why has it to be this way?"

                __ I think it's essentially that way for alot of people or maybe even ALL people. The driving question "why" moves people daily.

                If anybody has an answer for Pallavi and you are moved to articulate it,..........do so.

                __ As far as the answer, a ditto from me on Melody's post.

                The rest of the load of crap,............... just uses up band-width.

                Thank you Melody
                Why am I not suprised that you, if at all you would respond, ..........it would be to Pallavi....:-).

                Nina, what was my answer?

                Nothing.Or not in words.

                I just held Pallavi in my arms, till her sobs ceased.

                Maybe, some other time, words may be needed.

                I will await for that need, the moment of that need and for the words to arise in that moment.

                If they do.

                ___ Moving words, Moreso then the presentation.

                Jason, you were intrigued why that file to this List and not to others.
                It has got uploaded to a few more.
                Any particular one that you feel I have missed?

                ___ Not really, I'm not on many to take note. Your post would have gotten picked apart on most of the others, if it hadn't simply been somewhat ignored. The real problem is, it's not MY problem. Non-dual or religious schema aside.

                To most on the Democracy List, I had sent as personal emails. Many bounced back, after hours of uploading time.
                Hence decided the List route.

                __ Makes sense. I was curious if there was an instinct that there might be people more moved to write thier hearts here, then say over at the ranch. Not important just curious.

                I tend to think there is a great deal of dishonesty, here, there and everywhere. I think there is a buch of liars in among self-inquirers, among the politics of social behavior, I think it's not MY problem, knowing full well whats at play, is the biggest lie one can tell, along with playing out that lie as it trickles through the world.

                Since the issue was brought up as to intention here, I really could give a crap where it came from. Only that it's truthful, that it is what everyone deals with, whittingly or not, daily. Unless of course one is in a coma ;-)

                Do I think this has been going on for centuries? yup!

                Do I think it has gotten better since the cavemen? Absolutely no doubt, it has. Much farther away we are then survival of the fittest. I really don't have to do much and someone somewhere will "help" me out. Which at some point will be my reality, if I live that long.

                I typically see a continued clawing at the bounderies that keep us at odds, that keep this play of money/stuff/power, deforrestation, sucking up natural resources (irresponsibly), screwing up the enviroment, etc. etc. We have tons more to learn, no doubt...Hopefully we KEEP trying at it, trying to be more honest, more in tune with what keeps us living "creatures" on this planet. There is one thing for certain to me is I'm gonna die as a human body, best live as freely as a human body as I can (as responsibly as I can), without hindering "other" human bodies desire to live as well. Otherwise we mine as well blow the whole damn place up!

                YEA, YEA... I've heard it said a billion times too... And so it goes...

                Peace and Love

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • Nina
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep
                  <sandeepc@b...> wrote:
                  > Deception,
                  >
                  > manipulations,
                  >
                  > modus-operandi,
                  >
                  > guilt,
                  >
                  > intentions,
                  >
                  > canniness deciphering through canniness,
                  >
                  > true compassion versus shame,
                  >
                  > needing a context to reply to a kid ....
                  >

                  > ......all from a set of pictures put together by a kid.

                  Nope, all from your initial refusal to reply to
                  my simple question. All from your initial turning
                  of that question back around on me. If you wonder
                  why that is, you might look to why you felt you
                  had to hide your answer and could not write it
                  flat-out as an accompaniment to your original post.
                  Even saying, "Nothing. Or, not in words," would have
                  sufficed.

                  We weren't replying to Pallavi, as you had to. We were
                  replying to your post, which you did not want to
                  take responsibility for. Your choice, but don't go
                  berating us for a perception of heartlessness.
                  It was a psychological game, where the
                  question is offered up as a way to force the outing
                  of another's strategy, and where you, and anyone
                  who expressed a heartrend or an appropriate
                  'what is arising' answer, would win. Sandeep, from
                  what I have seen of you on these lists, you are
                  way too smart to not realize this action.

                  Pretty much, you replied 'as expected'...
                  from the 'high horse'... after everyone else
                  had 'stuck their horse necks out'... and with
                  the summary dismissal of everyone else's
                  'replies'.

                  Bandwidth doesn't discriminate between
                  horse shit and helpfulness.

                  Have the nicest of days, really.

                  Nina

                • wrmspirit@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
                    Bandwidth doesn't discriminate between
                    horse shit and helpfulness.

                    Have the nicest of days, really.

                    Nina

                    The release of horse shit becomes helpful for a constipated horse who cares not that another may step in it.......For the fly it becomes attractive, for the shoe, a nuisance, for the earth, fertilizer...
                  • sandeep
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
                        <sandeepc@b...> wrote:

> [...]

                        I'd probably give her a hug and tell her I don't have an answer.

                        Nina
                      • sandeep
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004

                          From: "Nina" <
                          murrkis@y...>
                          <
                          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com>
                          > > Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 06:25
                          PM
                          > > Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Sandeep's
                          question

                          > > > Have
                          the nicest of days, really.

                          > > > Nina
                          > >

                          > > Thank you Nina.
                          > >
                          > > Do
                          you have anything to say for Pallavi?

                          > I'd probably give her a
                          hug and tell her I don't have an answer.

                          > Nina

                          Thank you.

                        • Gene Poole
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
                            >sandeep <sandeepc@b...> wrote:

                            > Deception,
                            >
                            > manipulations,
                            >
                            > modus-operandi,
                            >
                            > guilt,
                            >
                            > intentions,
                            >
                            > canniness deciphering through canniness,
                            >
                            > true compassion versus shame,
                            >
                            > needing a context to reply to a kid ....
                            >

                            > ......all from a set of pictures put together by a kid.
                            >

                            > The making of the presentation, the collection of the pictures, using the contrast
                            between an ice-cream and survival,....sure,... that is savy young mind at work.

                            > It is not a bewildered presentation.

                            No?

                            Think again, wise one.

                            On an email list, an esteemed person (you)
                            posts what is claimed to be a presentation
                            composed by a 12 YO girl; and this becomes
                            an issue in itself, which it should be.

                            Sandeep, what is going on with you? Do you
                            imagine that you can or do control how any
                            posting is received?

                            Do you imagine that responses which are at
                            variance with what you want to hear, are somehow
                            indicative of flaws or shortcomings in the respondent?

                            My comment was that I have no proof that this
                            PP was actually made by a 12 YO girl; and that is
                            still an issue for me. I have no proof that you have
                            'hugged her' as she experienced her perplexity.

                            Frankly, as seen from here, the issue of 'what you
                            (Sandeep) are up to, is an important one.

                            Are you trying to bring up in the reader, resonance
                            with the suffering of the endangered and deprived?

                            I am sorry to say, that no such effort is required in
                            my case. I am fully 'resonant' with the plight of the
                            suffering innocents of this world. I am 'sorry to say',
                            for the simple reason that I wish that I too were 'innocent';
                            but, it is too late for me. I may not be 'innocent' in the
                            same way as the putative suffering 12 YO girl, but neither
                            am I 'guilty' of causing her any suffering.

                            So what the hell is up with you, Sandeep? Where is your
                            usual 'doo be doo be doo' non-attachment. and why do
                            you now hold everyone to your unstated standards of
                            morality?

                            These are serious questions from me, Sandeep; please
                            let me know. Please post your answer here.

                            12YO girls... kittens, puppies, dead babies and ice cream;
                            are those REALLY the imagery which are relevant to a 12YO
                            girl, in a 3rd world country?

                            Thank you...

                            ==Gene Poole==
                          • Onniko
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
                              <sandeepc@b...> wrote:
                              > Deception,
                              >
                              > manipulations,
                              >
                              > modus-operandi,
                              >
                              > guilt,
                              >
                              > intentions,
                              >
                              > canniness deciphering through canniness,
                              >
                              > true compassion versus shame,
                              >
                              > needing a context to reply to a kid ....
                              >

                              > ......all from a set of pictures put together by a kid.
                              >

                              > The making of the presentation, the collection of the pictures,
                              using the contrast between an ice-cream and survival,....sure,...
                              that is savy young mind at work.

                              > It is not a bewildered presentation.
                              >
                              > The bewilderment is in Pallavi seeing her world, as she sees
                              it, ..........where,........ in her words "if I am not asking for
                              someone else's ice-cream, why cannot I be left alive, unhurt and not
                              hungry, and with my Papa".

                              > Yes Jason, it was/is essentially for her,........ " Why has it to
                              be this way?"

                              > If anybody has an answer for Pallavi and you are moved to
                              articulate it,..........do so.

                              > The rest of the load of crap,............... just uses up band-
                              width.

                              > Thank you Melody
                              > Why am I not suprised that you, if at all you would
                              respond, ..........it would be to Pallavi....:-).

                              > Nina, what was my answer?
                              >
                              > Nothing.Or not in words.
                              >
                              > I just held Pallavi in my arms, till her sobs ceased.

                              *v* Oh? Are you saying that there is a real Pallavi which you
                              personally know and who was crying over the children who did
                              not have peace and creature comforts?

                              That surprizes me because I've seen many children around that age
                              who have made art of the public appeals variety and they were as far
                              from crying as is they were lying on the beach licking a
                              cone. Not to say they were callous, but rather that they
                              felt very good about what they did to help make everyone see
                              the injustice that they so recently learned to see.

                              Their feeling for the children they depicted was never sorrow,
                              but was in a way, more of a detached compassion for
                              something they felt the old people in power needed to
                              be reminded of. Those children would have seen a hug as
                              an insult to their intelligence, or a typical adult
                              brushing off of the 'poor sad little kid', a very patronizing
                              response to what they felt was their very insightful media efforts.

                              Actually, if there was a Pallavi who reads in here
                              I'd want to tell you that you did a great job in putting that
                              thought provolking public service announcement together. It
                              is artistically pleasing as well as remaining clear and to the
                              point while holding the interest of the viewer. The use of
                              the question was smart because it makes the viewer think,
                              whereas so often the authority method of script turns people
                              off. Nice presentation, Pallavi.
                            • sandeep
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004

                                saying that there is a real Pallavi which you
                                > personally know and who
                                was crying over the children who did
                                > not have peace and creature
                                comforts?

                                Yes.
                                And it is more about the consequences for children caught in war zones and conflict situation, rather than of endemic deprivations.

                                > That surprizes me because I've seen many
                                children around that age  who have made art of the public appeals variety and they >were as far  from crying as is they were lying on the beach licking a cone. Not to say they were callous, but rather that they

                                felt very good about what they did to help make everyone see the injustice that they so recently learned to see.

                                > Their feeling for the children they depicted was
                                never sorrow, but was in a way, more of a detached compassion for

                                something they felt the old people in power needed to be reminded of. Those children would have seen a hug as
                                > an insult to their intelligence, or a
                                typical adult brushing off of the 'poor sad little kid', a very patronizing
                                > response to what they felt was their very insightful media
                                efforts.

                                That indeed is also a typical response.

                                In this case, it was different.

                                > Actually, if there was a Pallavi who reads
                                in here
                                > I'd want to tell you that you did a great job in putting
                                that
                                > thought provolking public service announcement together. It

                                is artistically pleasing as well as remaining clear and to the
                                > point
                                while holding the interest of the viewer. The use of
                                > the question was
                                smart because it makes the viewer think,
                                > whereas so often the authority
                                method of script turns people
                                > off. Nice presentation,
                                Pallavi.

                                No Pallavi is not subbed to this List or any List for that matter.

                                I will convey your thoughts to her.