Re: Focalization - body, a map of consciousness

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2004

      --- "Gene Poole" <gene_poole@q...> wrote:
      > <<snip>>
      > Seen this way, it becomes apparent that the term 'local'
      > is a parochial convenience, and not fact. There can be no
      > 'local', because all of everything is 'merely' a temporary
      > multidimensional 'expansion' of a single dot, which is
      > itself the one and true 'center of everything'; there is
      > no 'nonlocal'.
      > 'We' live in a universe which is informed (created) by
      > the force which projects from this 'dot'; in reality, we
      > have no literal distance from it, although it seems to be
      > utterly distant in time and space...

      Thanks for that post, Gene, I see what you are saying.
      Keeping that in mind, I will veer off into a tangent.

      Embodiment seems to be a hot topic.

      Are we our bodies? What, if any, value is there in living
      a life in a body? Not only 'having a body', but in being
      embodied. Is this at odds with enlightenment?

      There are those, who would say: the body has nothing to
      do with enlightenment. However, if enlightenment is a radical
      transformation of consciousness, and 'as above, so below',
      the body may be understood to be a 'map of consciousness',
      then certainly the body is not a forbidden tool for enlightening.
      It is no less forbidden than teachings from other masters. The flip
      side of this is that it probably isn't going to get you 'there',
      without a leap. The flip side of this, is that you have been
      'there' from the very beginning!

      While wandering through a local folk-art shop, I came
      across an astounding little piece. It was astounding not
      so much for what or how it was painted, or that it was
      painted at all, which is already pretty astounding,
      but rather, for the quote that was painted along the top:

      "We walk by faith, and not by site alone."

      This brings to mind the body as a repository of myths.
      Faith is a blood relative of myth. Myths are diaphanous
      and interpretable, so, strangely, it is round-about again
      to the dissolution of the body.

      Greg Goode has offered up one myth of dissolution of the
      body - that the body is a collection of sensations.

      Here is another myth of dissolution - the body is more
      space than matter. To see this, one might immerse oneself
      in the study of anatomy and physiology, moving, as one
      does in yoga and meditation, from gross to subtle elements.
      Skin, fat and fascia, muscle, bone, nerves,
      veins and arteries, glands, cells... and so forth, through
      molecules and atoms, subatomic particles, until finally,
      it is revealed that within the tiniest elements that
      compose everything within a body, there is only the tiniest
      ratio of matter to space... if even that.

      So, again, there is center then 'no-center'. Site, and then

      Dona Holleman has an interesting take on embodiment,
      and the dynamic of body/no-body:

      "To be totally attentive to the body means that you are
      interested in the body and in the movement. 'Interest' in
      Latin, as we said before, means 'to be inside'. It is the
      moment of being inter-ested, being 'inside' the movement
      or the posture as the posture unfolds that makes it complete.
      There is no future reward and no retreating involved, but it
      is only the moment as it is there. So the body is completely
      filled with the mind. The mind fills the body completely
      from the bone structure to the skin structure, while as long
      as there is a future reward the mind is very small within the
      skin and so there is a lot of empty space in the body."

      Of course, Dona Holleman has also described her way of living
      life earnestly, but as if she were giggling behind her hand at
      it all.

      Very nice ramblings, everyone, thank you for playing along...

    • Nina
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Goode
        <goode@d...> wrote:
        > At 11:54 AM 1/31/2004 +0000, Nina wrote:
        > >Hello, Greg, Jason, Michael L. and all,
        > >
        > >This weekend, I am taking a workshop with Lisa Clark, who
        > >teaches Body Mind Centering. I'm enjoying getting her perspective
        > >on the things we are discussing.
        > >
        > >In yogasana, one learns that one must go down to go up. Lisa
        > >Clark is particularly adept at explaining how one meets the
        > >earth, engaging it, by "yielding" (language in quotes is from
        > >the BMC vocabulary). This is a sattvic state, the balance within
        > >contact. When one 'befriends' gravity and does not attempt to
        > >"prop" (rajasic resistance) against gravity or "collapse"
        > >(tamasic release) into gravity, then there may be felt a
        > >rebound of energy upwards through the body.
        > This is true! It's a way of allowing resistance to dissolve.
        > In nondual meditation, it is easier to lose your sense of
        separation once it is first found. If it is well-identified and well-
        integrated, it's easier to get a handle on. Which is why therapy is
        often very helpful. That's like when I was in the Army in the 70s.
        About guys who weren't doing well, the drill sergeants said, "He
        don't have his shit together." About other guys who were doing a bit
        better, they said "He's got his shit together in one bag, but he just
        can't find the bag."

        Recently, I heard someone claim that one must learn the rules
        first before one breaks them. I tend to think this is a little
        one-dimensional, as we tend to me 'made up' of the tension
        between rules and breaking them. It isn't that someone spends
        the first ten years of their life learning and following the
        rules and then busts out from there on out breaking all the rules.
        Rather, the rules and the rule-breaking get written together,
        at the same time. Further, rule-breaking may be seen to be
        another rule...

        Could be, also, that those who aren't well-integrated have
        taken a shortcut to a minimizing sense of separation.