Re: Digest Number 912/Freyja

  • carolina112900
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hi Grant,

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Bardsley"
      <bardsley@c...> wrote:
      > Hi Freyja,
      >
      > I did a 'float' a long time ago. I'd seen 'Altered States' and
      heard of John
      > Lilly but it was a very undramatic experience. You float in about a
      foot or
      > so of heavily salinated water at body temperature inside the light
      sealed
      > cabinet affair that is the tank. You can have tapes piped in if you
      want.

      > I had hoped I might have some funky psychedelic experience or
      disappear in a
      > blissful meditative wave, but in fact, I was aware of my body and
      it was
      > much like taking a snooze and I left disappointed. Later in the day,
      > however, I experienced a very physical sense of wellbeing which I
      attributed
      > to the float.

      My 'expectation' of what one would be likely to experience,
      from what they told me,
      is that there is a feeling of weightlessness, kind of
      like floating on your back in the ocean, but more so,
      because of the very, very high concentration of salt in
      the water.

      Your physical sense of well-being could have been
      a result of a state of deep relaxation that may have been
      induced while in the float.

      The way they tout it, they don't get into
      spiritual and psychedelic experiences, but more
      for the mega-relaxation that it is supposed to
      provide. Feeling so refreshed and rejuvenated,
      as if you had just slept for
      eight days or something.

      I don't know yet if I'm going to do it.
      I don't have sleep problems
      and if I want to 'experience' weightlessness, I
      can do lucid while sleeping.

      > I'm sure if I had been able to stay in longer (I had a double
      session, an
      > hour and a half I think), it would have been different, I think,
      and also,
      > of course, if I'd had different, more realistic expectations.

      May be!

      Thanks for sharing, Grant....

      ~~freyja