Re: Localization - dualist in space/roller coaster

  • freyjartist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
      *v* Very key point, Freyja, about closing those eyes.
      Most of those rides are smoother and less exciting
      that a ride in a car with your eyes closed.
      At the science dome where they show the movies that
      curve all around the big dome shaped room, they had a
      film about roller coasters. The viewers are put in
      the position of being on the various coasters and in
      one also traveled as energy through a twisting tube
      of light, very much like the feeling of speed and
      position you feel when returning from a dream to
      waking and visa versa. The point is, though, I was
      never so nausious in my life than I was when that
      movie was over, and all I'd done was sit there and aim
      my eyes as if I were sitting in the coaster seats.
      It was alot of fun, though. I'd recommend it but do
      take your dramamine first!>>

      There was also one with a 180 screen,
      where there was the very real sensation of being
      suspended over a very large and deep
      canyon sitting in construction machinery
      type vehicles suspended from cables.
      But you werent enclosed or strapped in.
      It gave a feeling of flying because it all
      moved pretty fast.  It was so real that
      it feel somewhat scary, that because I
      wasn't strapped in,  I could fall.

      It was interesting to notice the switching
      back and forth of perception, from me
      sitting still in a theatre-type seat watching
      the movement(the world moving around me) to me
      actually in the movie, moving through the
      sky.

      ~~freyja

    • Gene Poole
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a... wrote:
        > *v* Very key point, Freyja, about closing those eyes.
        > Most of those rides are smoother and less exciting
        > that a ride in a car with your eyes closed.
        > At the science dome where they show the movies that
        > curve all around the big dome shaped room, they had a
        > film about roller coasters. The viewers are put in
        > the position of being on the various coasters and in
        > one also traveled as energy through a twisting tube
        > of light, very much like the feeling of speed and
        > position you feel when returning from a dream to
        > waking and visa versa. The point is, though, I was
        > never so nausious in my life than I was when that
        > movie was over, and all I'd done was sit there and aim
        > my eyes as if I were sitting in the coaster seats.
        > It was alot of fun, though. I'd recommend it but do
        > take your dramamine first!>>
        >

        > There was also one with a 180 screen,
        > where there was the very real sensation of being
        > suspended over a very large and deep
        > canyon sitting in construction machinery
        > type vehicles suspended from cables.
        > But you werent enclosed or strapped in.
        > It gave a feeling of flying because it all
        > moved pretty fast. It was so real that
        > it feel somewhat scary, that because I
        > wasn't strapped in, I could fall.
        >
        > It was interesting to notice the switching
        > back and forth of perception, from me
        > sitting still in a theatre-type seat watching
        > the movement(the world moving around me) to me
        > actually in the movie, moving through the
        > sky.
        >
        > ~~freyja

        I wonder if anyone remembers the movie (originally
        released on Betamax tape) called 'Brainstorm'?

        This starred Natalie Wood and was her last movie
        before her death by accidental drowning ('what kind
        of wood does not float?').

        It also starred... uhh.. Christopher Walken. This
        may be one of the few (or only) sci-fi 'chick flicks',
        IMO. Anyway...

        Central to the plot, is the invention of a machine which
        tapes the literal, total experience of a person; and then
        that can be played back into any other person.

        There is a great scene, where the board of directors of
        the parent company are all hooked up and experiencing
        the experience of a person who rode a big roller-coaster,
        did hang-gliding, water-chuting, etc.

        If you are intrigued by the topic of this thread, you
        might as well watch that movie. It also stars Louse
        Fletcher, who 'dies and goes to heaven', while being
        taped. Anyone who later 'plays' that tape, also, goes
        to heaven... heh heh...

        BTW, the very beginning of that movie, including the
        title and credits, involves a very clever visual effect,
        which graphically shows the difference between
        'normal' consciousness and 'converged'. You can
        play it again and again until you 'get' the visual
        metaphor.

        ==Gene Poole==

        .
      • Onniko
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
          wrote:
          > *v* Very key point, Freyja, about closing those eyes.
          > Most of those rides are smoother and less exciting
          > that a ride in a car with your eyes closed.
          > At the science dome where they show the movies that
          > curve all around the big dome shaped room, they had a
          > film about roller coasters. The viewers are put in
          > the position of being on the various coasters and in
          > one also traveled as energy through a twisting tube
          > of light, very much like the feeling of speed and
          > position you feel when returning from a dream to
          > waking and visa versa. The point is, though, I was
          > never so nausious in my life than I was when that
          > movie was over, and all I'd done was sit there and aim
          > my eyes as if I were sitting in the coaster seats.
          > It was alot of fun, though. I'd recommend it but do
          > take your dramamine first!>>
          >

          > There was also one with a 180 screen,
          > where there was the very real sensation of being
          > suspended over a very large and deep
          > canyon sitting in construction machinery
          > type vehicles suspended from cables.
          > But you werent enclosed or strapped in.
          > It gave a feeling of flying because it all
          > moved pretty fast. It was so real that
          > it feel somewhat scary, that because I
          > wasn't strapped in, I could fall.
          >
          > It was interesting to notice the switching
          > back and forth of perception, from me
          > sitting still in a theatre-type seat watching
          > the movement(the world moving around me) to me
          > actually in the movie, moving through the
          > sky.
          >
          > ~~freyja

          *v* Yes, I know that back and forth perception, too.
          More obvious maybe in the theatre, it's also noticeable
          when you're just talking a walk and one moment you're
          all out there in the landscape and then you draw your
          attention back to the one walking and then, you're
          bored.

          Same with falling off to sleep and noticing how
          your attention literally falls and spreads out into a
          virtual reality which, if you decide not to follow,
          just smooths back away like the fizz on the top of
          your soda.

          In this virtual reality of life, I've noticed
          that some people very much prefer the theatre seat
          position because the way it makes life seem unreal guards
          against suffering? I still prefer being all spread out
          across the landscape, though. Sitting suspended in the
          air in machinery sounds like lots of fun!