Re: [Meditation Society of America] Sacrifice What Makes You Happy To Be Happy

  • Jason Fishman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
      Is this anything like the "just shut up and sit down" method? I think Judi over at the ranch has that one covered pretty well :-)

      Funny, Thanks!

      Peace and Love

      Nina <murrkis@...> wrote:

      > > Sacrifice
      > > the need to be respected
      > > the need to be liked
      > > the need to be right
      > > the need to be in control
      > > the need to be belived
      > > the need to be applauded
      > > the need to be clever
      > > the need to be attractive
      > > the need to be good
      > > the need to be happy
      > >
      > > Kir Li Molari
      >

      > And then sacrifice the need of sacrifice.

      And then sacrifice the sacrifice of the need of sacrifice.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004

        Nina wrote:
        > And then sacrifice the sacrifice of the need of sacrifice.

        Dear Jason and all,
        In a way, it sort of is a "just shut up and sit down" method. But in a
        good way. What you would be shutting down is the mind's chattering
        inner commentary. For instance, if someone says you are "wrong" about
        something, if you have sacrificed your attachment to being "right",
        you are free from all of the usual negative inner dialogue that
        judges, compares, comments and reacts to what was said. So, this
        particular lesson is a tool to freedom from needless negative
        reactivity, and points you to "better" ways to be present in your life
        as it takes place like self-awareness, self-inquiry, self-control, and
        who knows, maybe to the big Self in the sky and in your heart:-)
      • Jason Fishman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004

          Nina wrote:
          > And then sacrifice the sacrifice of the need of sacrifice.

          Dear Jason and all,
          In a way, it sort of is a "just shut up and sit down" method. But in a
          good way. What you would be shutting down is the mind's chattering
          inner commentary. For instance, if someone says you are "wrong" about
          something, if you have sacrificed your attachment to being "right",
          you are free from all of the usual negative inner dialogue that
          judges, compares, comments and reacts to what was said. So, this
          particular lesson is a tool to freedom from needless negative
          reactivity, and points you to "better" ways to be present in your life
          as it takes place like self-awareness, self-inquiry, self-control, and
          who knows, maybe to the big Self in the sky and in your heart:-)

          Hey there Bob,

          I'll not do the voodoo of top posting... is that a bad thing?

          I think what your expressing is good, meditation is good. I never thought of a goal to shut down the chatter, although I hear it all the time, "quite your inner self".

          I typically don't react (negative) to those around me, yet my thoughts are moving at times, chugging away at what is being relayed and taking  directly from the source. Walking in the shoes, so to speak.

          I'm quite happy with my mental chatter, there is typically a melody (the music type "melody", not the woman, hehe) floating around, making idle moments fun and entertaining. I also have some really good inner dialog occuring quite often and it just happens. I can see however how inner dialog can lead to stress and frustration (I'm positive I go down that road as well)... and so it goes, mostly a dull roar of peaceful thoughts abound, directed at no one in particular.

          Peace and Love

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Gene Poole
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
            "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

            > > > Sacrifice
            > > > the need to be respected
            > > > the need to be liked
            > > > the need to be right
            > > > the need to be in control
            > > > the need to be belived
            > > > the need to be applauded
            > > > the need to be clever
            > > > the need to be attractive
            > > > the need to be good
            > > > the need to be happy
            > > >
            > > > Kir Li Molari
            > >

            > > Sandeep:
            > > And then sacrifice the need of sacrifice.

            > Nina:
            > And then sacrifice the sacrifice of the need of sacrifice.

            Nina...

            Once the 'need of sacrifice' has been sacrificed,
            the issue of sacrifice is 'sealed' forever. Thus,
            one cannot sacrifice the sacrifice of the need to
            sacrifice, as there is no more 'sacrificial'.

            Just thot I would clear that one up for you.

            ==GP==