Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 912/Freyja

  • Grant Bardsley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2004
      Hi Freyja,

      I did a 'float' a long time ago. I'd seen 'Altered States' and heard of John
      Lilly but it was a very undramatic experience. You float in about a foot or
      so of heavily salinated water at body temperature inside the light sealed
      cabinet affair that is the tank. You can have tapes piped in if you want.

      I had hoped I might have some funky psychedelic experience or disappear in a
      blissful meditative wave, but in fact, I was aware of my body and it was
      much like taking a snooze and I left disappointed. Later in the day,
      however, I experienced a very physical sense of wellbeing which I attributed
      to the float.

      I'm sure if I had been able to stay in longer (I had a double session, an
      hour and a half I think), it would have been different, I think, and also,
      of course, if I'd had different, more realistic expectations.

      Bobbing along,
      Grant.
    • carolina112900
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2004
        Hi Grant,

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Bardsley"
        <bardsley@c...> wrote:
        > Hi Freyja,
        >
        > I did a 'float' a long time ago. I'd seen 'Altered States' and
        heard of John
        > Lilly but it was a very undramatic experience. You float in about a
        foot or
        > so of heavily salinated water at body temperature inside the light
        sealed
        > cabinet affair that is the tank. You can have tapes piped in if you
        want.

        > I had hoped I might have some funky psychedelic experience or
        disappear in a
        > blissful meditative wave, but in fact, I was aware of my body and
        it was
        > much like taking a snooze and I left disappointed. Later in the day,
        > however, I experienced a very physical sense of wellbeing which I
        attributed
        > to the float.

        My 'expectation' of what one would be likely to experience,
        from what they told me,
        is that there is a feeling of weightlessness, kind of
        like floating on your back in the ocean, but more so,
        because of the very, very high concentration of salt in
        the water.

        Your physical sense of well-being could have been
        a result of a state of deep relaxation that may have been
        induced while in the float.

        The way they tout it, they don't get into
        spiritual and psychedelic experiences, but more
        for the mega-relaxation that it is supposed to
        provide. Feeling so refreshed and rejuvenated,
        as if you had just slept for
        eight days or something.

        I don't know yet if I'm going to do it.
        I don't have sleep problems
        and if I want to 'experience' weightlessness, I
        can do lucid while sleeping.

        > I'm sure if I had been able to stay in longer (I had a double
        session, an
        > hour and a half I think), it would have been different, I think,
        and also,
        > of course, if I'd had different, more realistic expectations.

        May be!

        Thanks for sharing, Grant....

        ~~freyja