An Enlightening Riddle

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2004
      What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
      someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
      None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
      other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.
    • maria luisa
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2004
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
        > someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
        > None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
        > other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.

        This is so good and so right for me. Today casually someone was
        talking about being good. There was the incorrect understanding that
        being "good" is good because it leads to be praised and accepted,
        and not understanding that being "good" is something intrinsic (this
        word?), I mean, the good person is someone naturally ecuanimous, who
        sees things as they are and not by a judgement, of a clear
        understanding, wide mind, etc. This kind of person is very near to
        emancipation, liberation, enlightenment or whatever. These are also
        the kind of attributes a wise or "enlightened" one carries on.

        My greetings to all,

        maria luisa
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 25, 2004
          > > What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
          > > someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
          > > None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
          > > other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.

          Yep, and Bob, you don't often run into a crack addict who thinks
          another person's crack addiction is not good enough. :)

          Nina
        • Gene Poole
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 25, 2004
            >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
            > someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
            > None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
            > other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.

            Addict/Ecstatic

            User/seeker

            Drug/practice

            High/clear

            Pusher/proselytizer

            Dealer/Guru

            Paranoia/fall from grace

            OD/touched by God

            Needle tracks/shaved head

            Withdrawal/shaken faith

            Prison/Ashram

            Pipe/Mantra

            Needle/Shaktipat

            Fix/New book or workshop

            Narc/normal

            Bust/reality

            Dead/realized

            ==Gene Poole==
          • jodyrrr
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 25, 2004
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
              > someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
              > None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
              > other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.

              I'll have to go with number one, Bob.

              As destructive as a crack habit is, it's much better to not care
              what others think, than to be seeking approval for the insidious
              delusion of spiritual achievement.

              --jody.
            • Nina
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 25, 2004
                <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
                > > someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
                > > None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
                > > other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.
                >
                > I'll have to go with number one, Bob.
                >
                > As destructive as a crack habit is, it's much better to not care
                > what others think, than to be seeking approval for the insidious
                > delusion of spiritual achievement.
                >
                > --jody.

                Gack.

                I've been up against the untasty flavor of delusions of
                spiritual achievement lately... not my own, but those
                of a woman who has somehow found herself in a position of
                influencing the fitness director at the YWCA where I teach.
                I have worked with this woman off and on for over a year,
                and it has become clear that she has a particular way of
                evaluating 'spiritual correctness' and surrounding herself
                with people who support her views.

                It has come to a head over my requests to move my teaching
                hour to a weekday evening. To make a long story short, I'm
                getting the run-around because my teaching style has been
                deemed 'not spiritual enough'. Do I take this personally?
                No, I can't possibly take it personally - because the
                'deemer' has never been to one of my classes and has nothing
                to base her view of my teaching style on except her
                beliefs about what qualifies as 'spiritual' and her projections
                about what my teaching style 'must be like' based on where I
                studied.

                Ach.

                Nina
              • Gene Poole
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 25, 2004
                  > "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                  > > medit8ionsociety > <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > > What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
                  > > someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
                  > > None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
                  > > other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.
                  >
                  > I'll have to go with number one, Bob.
                  >
                  > As destructive as a crack habit is, it's much better to not care
                  > what others think, than to be seeking approval for the insidious
                  > delusion of spiritual achievement.
                  >
                  > --jody.

                  Well hey... what about the crack-head who also
                  has a huge 'spiritual ego'?

                  Man, what a dilemma that must be!

                  ==GP==
                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 25, 2004
                    <gene_poole@q...> wrote:
                    > > "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                    > > > medit8ionsociety > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > > What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
                    > > > someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
                    > > > None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
                    > > > other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.
                    > >
                    > > I'll have to go with number one, Bob.
                    > >
                    > > As destructive as a crack habit is, it's much better to not care
                    > > what others think, than to be seeking approval for the insidious
                    > > delusion of spiritual achievement.
                    > >
                    > > --jody.
                    >
                    > Well hey... what about the crack-head who also
                    > has a huge 'spiritual ego'?
                    >
                    > Man, what a dilemma that must be!

                    It could be the way out of both of them. A crack addict
                    isn't going to get confirmed as a spiritual giant, and hitting
                    bottom may actually provide a good bounce into a better life.
                  • jodyrrr
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 25, 2004
                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

                      [snip]

                      > Ach.
                      >
                      > Nina

                      Ack is right. That's really too bad Nina. My advice is to confront
                      this woman, and educate her as to what 'spiritual' actually is.

                      Good luck.

                      --jody.
                    • Jason Fishman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 26, 2004

                        jodyrrr <jodyrrr@...> wrote:

                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

                        [snip]

                        > Ach.
                        >
                        > Nina

                        Ack is right.  That's really too bad Nina.  My advice is to confront
                        this woman, and educate her as to what 'spiritual' actually is.

                        Good luck.

                        --jody.

                        Double Ack! Yes, Nina, seek this lady out and correct her immediately! Too funny Jody!

                        Peace and Love

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                      • Nina
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 26, 2004
                          > [snip]
                          >
                          > > Ach.
                          > >
                          > > Nina
                          >
                          > Ack is right. That's really too bad Nina. My advice is to confront
                          > this woman, and educate her as to what 'spiritual' actually is.
                          >
                          > Good luck.
                          >
                          > --jody.

                          Thanks, but...

                          ...what was that story about the martial artist who
                          trailed his enemy for a long way and while, but then
                          turned away when his efforts finally brought him face
                          to face with that enemy?

                          This is probably not the right time for me to confront her.

                          Then again, it's always a hoot to see the karmic fallout
                          from telling someone flatout what you think.

                          Nina
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 26, 2004
                            <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                            > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
                            > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > > > What's the difference between someone who is addicted to crack and
                            > > > someone addicted to ecstatic meditative states?
                            > > > None, except that one doesn't care what you think of them, and the
                            > > > other wants to be praised for being spiritually developed.
                            > >
                            > > I'll have to go with number one, Bob.
                            > >
                            > > As destructive as a crack habit is, it's much better to not care
                            > > what others think, than to be seeking approval for the insidious
                            > > delusion of spiritual achievement.
                            > >
                            > > --jody.
                            >
                            > Gack.
                            >
                            > I've been up against the untasty flavor of delusions of
                            > spiritual achievement lately... not my own, but those
                            > of a woman who has somehow found herself in a position of
                            > influencing the fitness director at the YWCA where I teach.
                            > I have worked with this woman off and on for over a year,
                            > and it has become clear that she has a particular way of
                            > evaluating 'spiritual correctness' and surrounding herself
                            > with people who support her views.
                            >
                            > It has come to a head over my requests to move my teaching
                            > hour to a weekday evening. To make a long story short, I'm
                            > getting the run-around because my teaching style has been
                            > deemed 'not spiritual enough'. Do I take this personally?
                            > No, I can't possibly take it personally - because the
                            > 'deemer' has never been to one of my classes and has nothing
                            > to base her view of my teaching style on except her
                            > beliefs about what qualifies as 'spiritual' and her projections
                            > about what my teaching style 'must be like' based on where I
                            > studied.
                            >
                            > Ach.
                            >
                            > Nina

                            Hi, This lady and her judgements of "spiritual correctness" reminds me
                            of this joke (and I'm sorry if it offends anyone:-):

                            A man arrives at the gates of Heaven.
                            St. Peter asks, "Religion?"
                            The man says, "Methodist."
                            St. Peter looks down his list, and says, "Go to
                            Room 24, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8."
                            Another man arrives at the gates of Heaven.
                            "Religion?"
                            "Baptist."
                            "Go to Room 18, but be very quiet as you pass
                            Room 8."
                            A third man arrives at the gates.
                            "Religion?"
                            "Jewish."
                            "Go to Room 11, but be very quiet as you pass
                            Room 8."
                            The man says, "I can understand there being
                            different rooms for different religions,
                            but why must I be quiet when I pass Room 8?"
                            St. Peter tells him, "Well, the Catholics are in
                            Room 8, and they think they're the only ones
                            here."
                          • Nina
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 26, 2004
                              That is a good joke, Bob.

                              It's funny to notice how the knee-jerk reaction
                              to someone declaring my teaching to be 'not spiritual
                              enough' is to figure out ways of saying she's got
                              it all wrong. In other words, a sort of spiritual
                              'one-ups-womanship' ensues. That's too bad. Meanwhile,
                              neither of us are in heaven. :)