Good Question From Email

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2002
      XXXX Wrote;
      "Desire nothing. Be content with everything."

      This is a quote listed on this site and is taught in many books.. if
      you have no desires then how can you want to help those
      in suffering . And if you are content with everything than how are
      you able to realise that suffering is not a good thing?
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2002
        > XXXX Wrote;
        > "Desire nothing. Be content with everything."
        >
        > This is a quote listed on your site (Meditation Station), and is
        taught in many books..
        If you have no desires then how can you want to help those
        > in suffering . And if you are content with everything than how are
        > you able to realise that suffering is not a good thing?

        I'm hoping others will answer this as they feel the urge to share
        their understanding,but for now, I would like to suggest that
        this is exactly the kind of question that is worth your
        meditating about. This would be a classic Jnana Yoga, the Yoga of
        Wisdom, meditation. So, since this came to your mind, I would suggest
        continuing thinking about it. I will give you a few "clues", that may
        possibly appear in your own mentations.....
        Can you really help others if you are caught up in your own (selfish
        by nature) desires, and is suffering "not a good thing", or is
        it an opportunity to learn (and gain the 2 most important spiritual
        aspects - humility and compassion)? I hope this helps.