Ego Birth, Gurdjieff, Castanada, Sivananda

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2004
      Gurdjieff describes the "soul" as, like all things, being made of a
      (very fine) material, and something that we build. Don Juan, via
      Castanada tells us that we have a spiritual body that is built from
      the ground up (and that most people - 99.999%+ - never develop past
      the top of their toes). Similarly, Sivananda speaks of gathering
      material for higher bodies (and BTW, warns that one moment of anger
      can dissapate hundreds of hours of meditation, which is one way to
      acquire this divine substance that is the structure of higher bodies).
      So, adding 1 and 1 and 1 and getting infinity, can we not conclude and
      say (if there in fact is a "we" that can do anything), that until we
      have become 'substantial' enough to act, we can't even discuss "ego"
      as anything other than a theory and part of a dream. And yes, quoting
      dead guys has the potential to confuse us as well as point the way.
      But, 'injesting' the wisdom of fully developed beings is what all
      these guys would call proper food for building the spirit. And
      personally, I give thanks and praise for the very satisfying and chock
      full of nourishing higher food thoughts that are often shared here.