Re: [Meditation Society of America] Ceasing to pretend one wishes to be liberated

  • Jason Fishman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      Goodness, break this down!! It's tough to read a novel on the PC screen, makes the eyes go bonkers ;-)

      Peace and Love

      "Michael L." <uarelove@...> wrote:
      Let us suppose there were a very quick easy simple
      method to end the ego-illusion.

      That is to actually end the ego-illusion,
      gone � dead forever, and not to think,
      believe or imagine one has ended the ego.

      Just for the sake of illustration,
      here is a hypothetical example:

      Lets say that someone found a method that required
      that one just snap the fingers three times
      and the ego would be dead and gone forever,
      the thinker, the body, the world, all universes,
      all planes, all dimensions, all time and all space
      would disappear and what would remain would be
      Infinite-Eternal-Being-Awareness-Bliss-Love-Peace.

      Let us suppose that the
      snap the fingers three times method
      were 100% sure to work for everyone who tried it.

      Just snapping the fingers three times,
      so easy and so quick. In a second or two
      the ego illusion, etc., would be gone.

      How many people would snap their fingers three times
      given the above scenario?

      Almost no one. That includes almost everyone who
      studies, thinks about or talks about
      spiritual teachings, almost none of those people would
      snap their fingers three times.

      The reason they would not
      snap their fingers three times is
      in almost every human being
      the desire to preserve the ego
      is trillions of times greater
      than the desire to end the ego illusion.

      #1. Some people would be honest and admit that the
      reason they do not snap their fingers three times
      is because they do not want the ego illusion to end,
      or that the desire to preserve the ego-illusion is
      greater than the desire to end it,
      or because they fear ending the human known.

      #2. Others would not be so honest,
      and claim that they would indeed like
      the ego-illusion to end,
      or that their desire to end the ego-illusion
      is greater than their desire
      to preserve the ego-illusion,
      or that they are not afraid of ending the human known.

      Those in category #2 would then proceed to think of
      some other reason why they do not
      snap their finger three times.
      Some imaginary, false reason,
      to hide the real reason.

      Since thoughts can combine in millions
      or trillions of combinations,
      the number of false reasons that the ego can create
      for not snapping the fingers
      three times, are almost endless.

      Whatever reason the people in category #2 gave
      for not snapping their fingers three times,
      would not be the real reason.
      It would always be a lie created by the ego-illusion,
      to hide the fact that they do not want
      the ego illusion to end,
      or the fact that their desire to preserve
      the ego-illusion is greater than their desire
      to end the ego-illusion
      or the fact that they are afraid
      of ending the human known.

      Because the ego can create an almost unlimited number
      of imaginary reasons, they cannot all be listed.
      Different people would find different reasons
      not to snap their fingers three times.

      In some circles they would say:
      �snapping the fingers requires effort,
      effort is not the way� or
      �snapping the fingers is a practice,
      practice is not the way� or
      �Snapping the fingers requires a doer,
      therefore it cannot be the way�

      Now all they would have had to do was snap their
      fingers three times and the ego would have been gone
      in the above described scenario.

      Instead of engaging in all those thoughts that are
      created by the ego as a preservation strategy, they
      could have just snapped their fingers three times.

      But they would not have done it.

      Instead of simple sentences like saying snapping the
      fingers requires effort, etc.
      and therefore it cannot be the way, they might go on
      to explain why it will not work.

      They might create a whole page of sentences
      explaining why it will not work
      or create hundreds of pages, of sentences, thoughts,
      concepts about why it will not work.

      And yet in the above described scenario,
      all they would have to have done is to
      snap the fingers three times
      and the ego-illusion would have been finished.

      They might have said:
      "If it were really that easy, many people would be
      snapping their fingers three times
      and thus awakening, therefore it cannot be that easy."

      Their thinking it cannot be that easy,
      otherwise many people would have
      snapped their fingers and awakened is not correct,
      because there are almost no humans
      who wish to end the ego-illusion,
      and therefore the reason why there would be
      almost no one awakening using such a simple quick
      method is because almost no human wishes to be
      liberated from the ego illusion
      and therefore almost no one would actually
      try the simple quick method
      by actually snapping their fingers three times.

      They would not be interested in ending the ego
      illusion, however,
      they might be interested in thinking about
      and discussing spiritual concepts
      and pretending thinking about and discussing
      spiritual concepts had something to do with
      ending the ego illusion,
      or pretending that thinking about such concepts
      was actually making progress towards
      ending the ego illsuion.

      An endless stream of thoughts,
      some confused and some clever,
      would masquerade as spiritual progress.

      Snapping the fingers three times
      will not end the ego-illusion,
      that was just a hypothetical example.

      However, there is an extremely quick rapid method to
      end the ego-illusion,
      and the examples given above about
      almost no one using the direct means,
      because almost no one truly wishes to
      end the ego-illusion,
      and the way the ego directs thought
      as a preservation strategy
      are actual examples of what people do
      when confronted with the possibility
      of being liberated now in this lifetime.

      One cannot list all of the millions of possible
      combinations of thoughts and concepts, however,
      the ego will find something that convinces one,
      and leads one away from being liberated now,
      in this lifetime, by leading one away from the most
      direct, quickest means to do so.

      An endless maze of thought.
      In some people that maze is extremely confused,
      and in some people that maze is very subtle,
      very clever, very intricate.
      Most peoples thinking falls somewhere
      in between these two.

      An endless maze of thought
      leading to ego-preservation,
      although usually masquerading as something else.

      Some people think their own thoughts are
      better than the instructions of a liberated sage.

      That is only one of so many thousands of
      ego-preservation strategies.

      When the extremely intense desire for liberation
      arises, one selects those quotes that describe the
      direct practice and then actually practices
      the described practice.

      Before the extremely intense desire for liberation
      arises, people either ignore the quotes by
      Direct Path sages, or they select quotes that help to
      preserve the ego-illusion instead of ending it,
      or they make the quotes into an intellectual affair,
      agreeing and disagreeing, thinking about the quotes,
      discussing them etc.

      What does Self-Awareness mean?,
      is a great question.
      I wished I had paid more attention to that question
      when I first began studying Sri Ramana Maharshi's
      teachings 30 years ago,
      and I also wished I had paid more attention
      to that question when studying Sri Muruganar,
      Sri Sadhu Om, Sri Annamalai Swami
      and Sri Nisargadatta's teachings.

      Before the extremely intense desire
      for freedom arises,
      the ego studies the teachings
      for the purpose of preserving the ego illusion,
      and it focuses on those quotes that will help
      to preserve the ego-illusion.
      That is how almost everyone,
      lets say 99.99% of those who study the teachings,
      study them.
      For around 25 years,
      that was how I also studied the teachings.

      Then some doubt arose,
      and that was like punching a small hole in a dam,
      which allowed some water to flow through.

      More and more holes were punched in the dam,
      until one day the dam disappeared
      and all of the water in the lake
      came rushing forth as a mighty river.

      That river is called
      the extremely intense desire for freedom.
      It allows one to see all the ego's deception
      and one wonders,
      how could I have not seen all this before?

      It brings perfect clarity, insight,
      honesty and intensity with it
      and it demands that one focus only on
      that which is essential
      and it brings the awareness needed
      to see that which is essential.

      Previous to the awakening of
      the extremely intense desire for freedom,
      the ego pretends to know what is essential in the
      Teachings,
      and it calls the inessential, the essential,
      as a preversation strategy.

      After the extremely intense desire for liberation
      is awakened,
      what one sees in those same teachings
      is completely different.
      Then one looks for the instructions for
      the most direct practice
      and one practices it.

      The answer to the question what is Self-awareness
      is revealed in practice, however,
      a careful study of the teachings of those 5 sages
      reveals the practice instructions,
      so that one does not fumble around for 999,000,000,000
      imaginary lifetimes trying to figure them out by
      thinking.

      Turning one's attention away from
      thought, the body, the world, etc.
      and towards awareness watching awareness
      is the most direct means of ending the ego illusion.

      Prior to the awakening of
      the extremely intense desire for liberation
      the ego can create an almost unlimited number of
      arguments against that fact.

      Scholars may be able to find quotes,
      even quotes from the five direct path sages
      that would refute the fact
      that turning the attention away from
      the body, thought, world, etc.
      and towards awareness watching awareness
      is the most direct means to end the ego illusion.

      I have placed hundreds of quotes on
      The Direct Path Links Directory
      that support the awarenes watching awareness practice.

      What is important is not the quotes which support it
      and which do not support it.
      What is important is the practice
      and the results.

      If a thousand scholars created one million pages
      of argument that beautifully, logically,
      completely refuted the fact that the
      awareness watching awareness approach was
      the most direct means to end the ego illusion,
      the awareness watching awareness approach
      would still be the most direct means to
      end the ego illusion.

      Because the practice is unrelated to
      the concepts that people imagine about it.

      What is important is the awakening of
      the extremely intense desire for liberation,
      because prior to that
      the ego will not allow one to see.

      *Human beings have made almost no inward progress in
      the last many thousands of years, with the exception
      of a very few who have ended the ego-illusion.
      Death, disease, thousands of forms of suffering and
      sorrow, violence, fear, war,
      cruelty (verbal and physical),
      lying, conning, cheating, appear now
      just as they they did thousands of years ago.

      Pretending to care,
      when the behavior does not match it.
      Someone spends $7.00 to go see a movie
      when there are starving people in the world
      and yet they consider themselves to be caring.

      For the change to occur from the above * to
      Infinite-Eternal-Being-Awareness-Bliss-Love-Peace,
      the ego-illusion, which is the source of the above
      described human condition, must end.

      Why does it end in so few humans?

      Because the extremely intense desire for liberation
      has not yet been awakened.

      Prior to its awakening, the fear of ending the ego,
      prevents people from turning inward
      and removing the ego-illusion.

      Comparing the human condition * with
      Infinite-Eternal-Being-Awareness-Bliss-Love-Peace
      can awaken the intense desire for freedom if one does
      a good job of looking at the human condition
      and the comparison.

      Without the awakening of the extremely intense desire
      for liberation, humans stay as they are and all the
      supposed inward changes are only superficial.

      Thus there is a step by step order necessary
      to end the ego-illusion and to remain in freedom.

      I will use a few quotes by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
      and insert step numbers.
      I happen to be compiling some of Sri Nisargadatta's
      quotes now, and that is why I am using them,
      not because there is some sort of preference to
      Sri Nisagardatta's quotes.
      Read the quotes very slowly,
      treating them as practice instructions
      and not topics for thinking, discussion, etc.
      For example in the first quote,
      the words "unable to see its enormity"
      are important keys,
      but people tend to read so quickly
      they miss some of the details of the practice
      instructions. Thus facing the enormity of human
      suffering, instead of blocking out 99.99% of human
      suffering as people usually do is the first step.

      STEP #1:

      Questioner:

      "Have I not suffered enough?"

      Nisargadatta:

      "Suffering has made you dull,

      unable to see its enormity.

      Your first task is to see the sorrow in you

      and around you;

      STEP #2:

      your next to long intensely for liberation.

      The very intensity of longing will guide you;

      you need no other guide."

      STEP #3:

      Questioner: �Surely there is something valid

      and valuable in every approach.�

      Nisargadatta: �In each case the value lies

      in brining you to the need of seeking within.

      Playing with various approaches

      may be due to resistance to going within,

      to the fear of having to abandon the illusion

      of being something or somebody in particular.

      To find water you do not dig small pits

      all over the place,

      but drill in one place only.

      Similarly, to find your self

      you have to explore yourself.�

      Questioner: "In the beginning we may have to pray

      and meditate for some time

      before we are ready for self-inquiry."

      Nisargadatta:

      "If you believe so, go on.

      To me, all delay is a waste of time.

      You can skip all the preparation

      and go directly for the ultimate search within.

      Of all the Yogas it is the simplest and the shortest."

      Questioner: �You mean to say that all these glories

      will come with the mere dwelling

      on the feeling �I am�?

      Nisargadatta: �It is the simple that is certain,

      not the complicated.

      Somehow, people do not trust the simple, the easy,

      the always available.

      Why not give an honest try to what I say?

      It may look very small and insignificant,

      but it is like a seed that grows into a mighty tree.

      Give yourself a chance!�

      �I simply followed my Guru�s instruction

      which was to focus the mind on pure being �I am�,

      and stay in it.

      I used to sit for hours together,

      with nothing but the �I am� in my mind

      and soon peace and joy and a deep all-embracing love

      became my normal state.

      In it all disappeared � myself, my Guru,

      the life I lived, the world around me.

      Only peace remained and unfathomable silence.�

      "Whatever happened,

      I would turn my attention away from it

      and remain with the sense 'I am',

      it may look too simple, even crude.

      My only reason for doing it

      was that my Guru told me so.

      Yet it worked!

      Obedience is a powerful solvent

      of all desires and fears.

      Just turn away from all that occupies the mind;

      do whatever work you have to complete,

      but avoid new obligations;

      keep empty, keep available,

      resist not what comes uninvited.

      In the end you will reach a state of non-grasping,

      of joyful non-attachment,

      of inner ease and freedom indescribable,

      yet wonderfully real."

      �Nothing stops you but preoccupation with the outer

      which prevents you from focusing on the inner.

      It cannot be helped,

      you cannot skip your spiritual practice.

      You have to turn away from the world and go within.�

      "As long as you are engrossed in the world,

      you are unable to know yourself:

      to know yourself,

      turn your attention away from the world

      and turn it within."

      Questioner:

      �What is the course of training in self-awareness?�

      Nisargadatta: �There is no need of training.

      Awareness is always with you.

      The same attention that you give to the outer,

      you turn to the inner.

      No new, or special kind of awareness is needed.�

      �What you need is to be aware of being aware.�

      "Don't be misled by the simplicity of the advice.

      Very few are those who have the courage

      to trust the innocent and the simple."

      "The all important word is 'try'.

      Allot enough time daily for sitting quietly

      and trying, just trying,

      to go beyond the personality,

      with its addictions and obsessions."

      "You just keep on trying until you succeed.

      If you persevere, there can be no failure."

      "It is not a matter of easy, or difficult.

      Either you try or you don't.

      It is up to you."

      Other relevant quotes can be read here:

      http://uarelove.com