Relaxation

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2002
      Hi Bob,

      Thanks for your comments on relaxation. I lived for many many many years
      with my tongue pressed hard against my pallet as a "normal" condition. Only
      in the last year or two have I relaxed it at the bottom of my mouth as a
      normal condition for about 80% of the time.

      In addition to lost energy there is one other consequence, poor posture.
      This applies more to tension in other parts of the body. You have probably
      seen how some people have very poor posture. For them their position often
      "feels" normal because they have gradually become used to it. The poor
      posture is sometimes caused by tension in a particular muscle group which
      results in a misalignment in the body. Over time the condition becomes more
      pronounced and the poor posture is exaggerated.

      I used to go for deep tissue massage to locate and free these tension
      points. What amazed me was how the masseur could spot them and I would have
      no idea they were there until they pressed hard and I would feel a bolt of
      pain. The good thing is that a few sessions clears the blockage and the body
      returns to normal.

      These physical tension points are often caused by emotional tension, for
      instance from work pressure. Since prevention is better than cure,
      meditation has the added benefit of helping to prevent emotional tension
      which could translate into physical tension. In short, the meditation we do
      today can translate into a better quality of life when we grow old.

      ...Tony