[Meditation Society of America] Re: The cash value of comfort

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Harvey Schneider"
      <haarvi1@n...> wrote:

> [...]

      Of course it's not provable. It's not science.

      An observation was made. I'm testing it against
      my experience, bringing it up here to see what gets
      cooked up, and waiting to see if there is any value
      in it as a tool for inquiry.

      It may or may not have value. Or it may have value
      to some and not to others. All I'm sure about is that
      I have yet to find a behavior that wasn't ultimately
      about comfort and security, or the improvement of
      one's condition, as per my analysis.

      It may seem obvious and superfluous, but that
      doesn't mean it isn't true in the sense of being
      an adequate and succinct description of what
      is going on in life.

      --jody.
    • Harvey Schneider
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
        > > > True, but perhaps the principle is all encompassing.
        > >
        > > To unpack my previous comment:
        > > Consider Greg's question.
        > > Is your Comfort Doctrine empirical psychology?
        > > This is the same as asking is it true by observation.
        > > The truths of psychology are true by observation and
        > > are falsifiable.
        > > The meaning of a principle is defined by what would
        > > count as evidence for its falsity.
        > > Definitions are not discoveries.
        > > They cannot be falsified.
        > > Not for lack of evidence,
        > > but because they are conventions.
        > > What is not falsifiable is not provable.
        > > Harvey
        > >
        > > > --jody.
        >
        > Of course it's not provable. It's not science.
        >
        > An observation was made. I'm testing it against
        > my experience, bringing it up here to see what gets
        > cooked up, and waiting to see if there is any value
        > in it as a tool for inquiry.

        What you say you are doing is science. Observation
        leading to hypothesis, followed by testing.

        > It may or may not have value. Or it may have value
        > to some and not to others. All I'm sure about is that
        > I have yet to find a behavior that wasn't ultimately
        > about comfort and security, or the improvement of
        > one's condition, as per my analysis.
        >
        > It may seem obvious and superfluous, but that
        > doesn't mean it isn't true in the sense of being
        > an adequate and succinct description of what
        > is going on in life.

        Hi Jody,
        What you say you are doing is science. Observation
        leading to hypothesis, followed by testing.

        What is obvious is that if you look through a blue
        lens you'll find everything in the world is blue.
        Likewise, if you take, interpret or define every kind
        of motivation as a kind of comfort seeking, you will
        find comfort to be the universal motivator.
        Questioning the stake or the comfort motive may
        be useful as an exploratory tool.
        The mistake is to go metaphysical with it and declare
        it - or even raise the possiblity that it is - an invariable
        law which you have discovered in nature.
        Harvey

        > --jody.
      • Bruce Morgen
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
[...]

          Leaving aside the unclaimed
          exclusivity implied by your
          labeling Jodyji's purport a
          personal discovery, in what
          universe is it a "mistake"
          to "raise" a "possibility?"

        • Harvey Schneider
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Harvey Schneider"
              <haarvi1@n...> wrote:

              [snip]

              > Hi Jody,
              > What you say you are doing is science. Observation
              > leading to hypothesis, followed by testing.

              Well, yeah. But there is no data. There is an
              intellectual overlay on top of raw manifestation
              by way of this mind.

              > What is obvious is that if you look through a blue
              > lens you'll find everything in the world is blue.
              > Likewise, if you take, interpret or define every kind
              > of motivation as a kind of comfort seeking, you will
              > find comfort to be the universal motivator.

              Of course. But that doesn't mean it isn't true, that
              the world isn't blue.

              > Questioning the stake or the comfort motive may
              > be useful as an exploratory tool.
              > The mistake is to go metaphysical with it and declare
              > it - or even raise the possiblity that it is - an invariable
              > law which you have discovered in nature.
              > Harvey

              I'll consider that. You may be completely correct.

              But why couldn't comfort be like gravity for the
              soul, that all beings seek security as a result of this
              'gravity'.

              Look at life at the cellular level. It's all about input
              and output and optimizing based on conditions. Really,
              seeking chemical comfort. It makes perfect sense to me
              that this cellular seeking of comfort has been extrapolated
              into the universe of complex organisms, which are comprised
              of billions of cells.

              The applicability of the idea may be in question, but
              this blue world hasn't yet revealed to me that it isn't
              actually blue.

              --jody.
            • jodyrrr
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Harvey Schneider"
                <haarvi1@n...> wrote:

                [snip]

                > Hi again, my friend,
                > Seeing every motive as some variation on comfort
                > seeking may be helpful to uncover certain features
                > of reality.
                > But it may obscure other features of reality.

                Not if it is a significant feature of biological reality.

                > It emphasizes the similarities, but minimizes the
                > differences between people.

                But people *are* all the same, biologically, including
                the general workings of the human mind.

                We may have all come from completely unique karmic
                paths, making each of us utterly unique, but as
                human beings we're all animals of the same species,
                and you can make reasonably accurate predictions
                about the behavior of most humans when you know a
                few essential things about them.

                > And ignores the viewpoint that the ascription of
                > any motive at all is a projective illusion.
                > Harvey

                But it goes much deeper than motive. It is life's
                imperative itself. It's the whole reason life has
                evolved to where it presently is in our world.

                Anything that could be called a motive is an
                overlay. It's the prime directive, informing all
                motive, but being underlying it as well.

                The more I talk about this with you Harvey, the
                more I'm convinced. Thanks for taking the time
                to challenge the idea.

                --jody.
              • Harvey Schneider
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
                  > > What you say you are doing is science. Observation
                  > > leading to hypothesis, followed by testing.
                  >
                  > Well, yeah. But there is no data. There is an
                  > intellectual overlay on top of raw manifestation
                  > by way of this mind.
                  >
                  > > What is obvious is that if you look through a blue
                  > > lens you'll find everything in the world is blue.
                  > > Likewise, if you take, interpret or define every kind
                  > > of motivation as a kind of comfort seeking, you will
                  > > find comfort to be the universal motivator.
                  >
                  > Of course. But that doesn't mean it isn't true, that
                  > the world isn't blue.
                  >
                  > > Questioning the stake or the comfort motive may
                  > > be useful as an exploratory tool.
                  > > The mistake is to go metaphysical with it and declare
                  > > it - or even raise the possiblity that it is - an invariable
                  > > law which you have discovered in nature.
                  > > Harvey
                  >
                  > I'll consider that. You may be completely correct.
                  >
                  > But why couldn't comfort be like gravity for the
                  > soul, that all beings seek security as a result of this
                  > 'gravity'.
                  >
                  > Look at life at the cellular level. It's all about input
                  > and output and optimizing based on conditions. Really,
                  > seeking chemical comfort. It makes perfect sense to me
                  > that this cellular seeking of comfort has been extrapolated
                  > into the universe of complex organisms, which are comprised
                  > of billions of cells.
                  >
                  > The applicability of the idea may be in question, but
                  > this blue world hasn't yet revealed to me that it isn't
                  > actually blue.
                  >
                  > --jody.

                  Hi Jodyji,

                  Gravity is science because we can imagine observations
                  and experiments which would disprove it.
                  .
                  Your story of chemical comfort seeking cells must sound
                  gratuitously anthropomorphic even to you.

                  I imagine you might say that charged particles which attract
                  and repel each other depending on the combination of their
                  positive and negative charges do so for reasons of comfort?
                  And that the planets follow their bliss in orbiting around the
                  sun.

                  I can see the aesthetic appeal of the story line you are
                  presenting. It might be a worthwhile competition for the
                  mythology of the Greek gods. During the heyday of belief
                  in these Gods, there was nothing which could disprove
                  their existence and influence.

                  It's a poetic way of talking and I apologize for trying to talk
                  you out of it.

                  Harvey
                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004
                    <haarvi1@n...> wrote:

> [...]

                    It's an anthropomorphized view of what goes on there, but
                    that doesn't mean it doesn't describe.

                    Think about it. Cells are chemical factories. They need
                    certain precursor molecules which they must acquire or
                    have delivered to them. They need their products and
                    their waste to be taken away. A cell's comfort would be
                    the optimization of these conditions. Conditions that
                    are less than optimal must be accomodated as best as
                    possible, seeking the best configuation for that set of
                    conditions.

                    > I imagine you might say that charged particles which attract
                    > and repel each other depending on the combination of their
                    > positive and negative charges do so for reasons of comfort?

                    Not in a 'human sitting in his easy chair way', but certainly
                    as a 'this is the best state I can obtain under these conditions
                    way' minus the anthropomorphic verbalizations.

                    > And that the planets follow their bliss in orbiting around the
                    > sun.

                    What else can they do? They've found their places in
                    relationship to their environment, whose largest influence
                    is the gravity of the sun.

                    > I can see the aesthetic appeal of the story line you are
                    > presenting. It might be a worthwhile competition for the
                    > mythology of the Greek gods. During the heyday of belief
                    > in these Gods, there was nothing which could disprove
                    > their existence and influence.
                    >
                    > It's a poetic way of talking and I apologize for trying to talk
                    > you out of it.
                    >
                    > Harvey

                    Don't apologize Harvey. I really appreciate your comments.
                    You always make good points, and I always learn from the
                    interaction.

                    Of course it's anthropomorphic to say that cells and planets
                    *seek* comfort. They find their state, whatever that is, in
                    response to environmental conditions. But functioning systems
                    have a tendency to optimize whenever possible. They don't
                    need to be alive to do this. So the planets all spin around
                    the sun, negative particles find positive ones to hook up with,
                    and cells pump out more product when provided with energy
                    and materials. These activities accept the overlay of the
                    comfort doctrine quite nicely in my view. I agree that it's
                    just one human's view (with an agenda to make it fit),
                    but that doesn't mean (to me) that it's not a good way of
                    contextualizing it all.

                    I'm not trying to develop a mythology about it, just give
                    a reason why things keep going, and to try to show the
                    general direction they keep going in.

                    --jody.
                  • Jason Fishman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004
                      Actually Jody,

                      Single cells do not consume or produce, but are consumed or produced by larger multi celled organisms gear directly with production and consumption of single cells. There in fact is no creation of new cells, only conversions from other cell types. This is also why a human organism dies, due entirely to lowering conversion rates over time within enviromental changes.

                      There is also no death of a cell, only a conversion of one cell structure to another, in microbiological grandure. Make-up of a cell is also a conversion process, hence the need for another, through simple  transference of energies or a process labeled osmosis. It takes three basic elements to concieve, to combine, to form a functioning cell. Information of cell structure and function, the nuclei; form positive protiens, and form negative membranes.
                      Continuing to speak microbiotic, cells form when the enviroment allows such formation, there is no cell seeking (not even in theory) of a comfortable place to live/survive. Only an enviroment that dictates cellular survival or formation. This can also be applied to the human condition (only on a more gradious scale, with much more cells to create complexities), humans can only seek more comforting, when ac omfortable enviroment dictates that process to take place. If tossed into the arctic circle, there would certainly be less comfort for the human, but none the less, if survived long enough, a search for more comfort will ensue.

                      The search for comfort could never be the only ploy, not for humans or the cells they are composed of. When a cell is combined to form within a certain enviroment, as long as that enviroment stays within certain survivable parameters for that organism, comfort isn't sought, but already the case.

                      Something interesting to note about all this, is that the three basic building blocks survive, not only independent of each other, but also without any real physical properties. A completely self-sufficient system, without any structural system in place.

                      Peace and Love

                      <haarvi1@n...> wrote:

> [...]

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • Harvey Schneider
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004

                        > > > Of course. But that doesn't mean it isn't true, that
                        > > > the world isn't blue.

                        The reason the world cannot be all blue is because
                        in the absence of any other color the word blue
                        cannot be defined. Its contrast with other colors
                        is what gives it meaning.
                        You cannot have a true statement with a critical word
                        undefined.
                        When you use "comfort seeking" to apply to everything,
                        there is nothing to contrast "comfort seeking" with and
                        define it so that it can be picked out from what is not
                        comfort seeking.
                        The sense it seems to make is similar to the apparent
                        sense of some nonsense verse.
                        Nice poetry, empty metaphysics.
                        Harvey
                      • Bruce Morgen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004
[...]

                          Well then, just about all
                          "metaphysics" qualify as
                          "bad," eh?
                        • Harvey Schneider
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004

                            Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 1:44 PM

[...]

                            Hi Bruce,

                            Without going into detailed case studies
                            of metaphysical systems needed to do
                            full justice to your question, I can say
                            that metaphysical theory which rely on
                            undefined and or undefinable essential
                            terms need repair work to be intelligible.

                            If you care to bring up specific examples
                            of metaphyical systems, it could be
                            instructive to examine them for
                            intelligibility.

                            Harvey
                          • Bruce Morgen
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004
> [...]
                                > interaction.
                                >
                                > Of course it's anthropomorphic to say that cells and planets
                                > *seek* comfort. They find their state, whatever that is, in
                                > response to environmental conditions. But functioning systems
                                > have a tendency to optimize whenever possible. They don't
                                > need to be alive to do this. So the planets all spin around
                                > the sun, negative particles find positive ones to hook up with,
                                > and cells pump out more product when provided with energy
                                > and materials. These activities accept the overlay of the
                                > comfort doctrine quite nicely in my view. I agree that it's
                                > just one human's view (with an agenda to make it fit),
                                > but that doesn't mean (to me) that it's not a good way of
                                > contextualizing it all.
                                >
                                > I'm not trying to develop a mythology about it, just give
                                > a reason why things keep going, and to try to show the

                                Years ago, I observed something similar
                                to what Jody proposes.

                                Rather than 'mere homeostasis', living 'things'
                                (to include all life forms, including cells) move
                                toward _pleasure_. This prompted me to conceptualize
                                what I call, the 'compass of pleasure'.

                                'Mere homeostasis' is itself a high goal, given
                                the many potentially fatal challenges presented
                                to living organisms. But it seems that Life is 'not content'
                                with mere contentment; and the seeking of pleasure,
                                not just comfort, is the means to achieve 'optimization'
                                of occupation of one's niche in the biosphere.

                                An organism which attains 'pleasure', obtains that
                                reward by means of exercising capability; and it is
                                the exercise of capability, which results in that talent
                                becoming strong and always available. In other words,
                                success in attaining pleasure, rewards effort and
                                strengthens existing capabilities.

                                So I think Jody is correct in this issue; at root of
                                his assertion, is an unstated assertion of homeostasis
                                as a life-sustaining principle; and he points out, using
                                the word 'comfort', that there is a certain 'bias' which
                                serves to 'adjust' homeostasis to a fine degree of
                                success. One could say, that such a bias will assure
                                that homeostatic motion 'exceeds' the minimum,
                                and thus, makes more 'room' or 'space' within the
                                range of 'ideal' states.

                                Moreover, it is my observation, that the 'pleasure/pain'
                                axis, serves as a dynamic criteria for success of any
                                biological organism; the ultimate result of avoidance
                                of pain, and attainment of pleasure, results in less
                                wear and tear, less upkeep, and therefore, is seen as
                                a primary 'conservator' of energy. 'Optimization',
                                which represents 'more than the minimum requirement'
                                needed for survival, assures success in competitions
                                between organisms which vie for occupation of a
                                given niche in the biosphere.

                                Recently recompiled researches, point out that we
                                are looking at much more, than 'survival of the fittest';
                                we are actually seeing, a deeper principle; 'the happiest
                                are the fittest'. Contentment, comfort and pleasure are
                                now being considered as primary components of survival,
                                and those, represent 'effortless response to evolutionary
                                stressors'. From a Darwinian POV, the conquest of pain,
                                equals adaptation to potentially fatal challenge; survivors
                                are thus embodied with a reward system, which is the
                                sheer pleasure of being alive!

                                ==Gene Poole==
                              • jodyrrr
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004
                                  <gene_poole@q...> wrote:

                                  [snip]

                                  > Recently recompiled researches, point out that we
                                  > are looking at much more, than 'survival of the fittest';
                                  > we are actually seeing, a deeper principle; 'the happiest
                                  > are the fittest'. Contentment, comfort and pleasure are
                                  > now being considered as primary components of survival,
                                  > and those, represent 'effortless response to evolutionary
                                  > stressors'. From a Darwinian POV, the conquest of pain,
                                  > equals adaptation to potentially fatal challenge; survivors
                                  > are thus embodied with a reward system, which is the
                                  > sheer pleasure of being alive!
                                  >

                                  > ==Gene Poole==

                                  You're the man Gene.

                                  It would appear that this idea's time has arrived.

                                  Grab a chair, sit back, and enjoy the show. Things are
                                  going to get mighty interesting as this poop hits the fan.

                                  --jody.
                                • Harvey Schneider
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                                    Note: a second attempt to make the conversational parts
                                    clear through selective boldfacing.

[...]

                                    Yes.  It sounds intelligible, because he is using
                                    the word "comfort" which we all understand.  But
                                    he is using "comfort" in an new way which he doesn't
                                    define.  If he ever gets around to defining this new
                                    sense of "comfort", showing what it includes and what
                                    it excludes, then we can have another look.

                                    I personally have no particular
                                    interest in "metaphysical
                                    systems" (imo the term is quite
                                    oxymoronic -- since anything
                                    outside the realm of physics is
                                    not objectively measurable, any
                                    such "system" would have to be
                                    subjective in basis and
                                    therefore systematic only in
                                    reference to itself).

                                    The Comfort Doctrine in its current formulation is
                                    similar to the Phlogiston Doctrine which posited
                                    a hypotheical substance released as flame in combustion.
                                    Even though no one now believes that Phlogiston is
                                    needed to explain combustion, its existence has never
                                    been disproved.

                                    Like Phlogiston, the Comfort Factor, is not objectively
                                    measurable.  Its right up there with hobgoblins and
                                    gremlins.  If metaphysics is not the right word, perhaps
                                    you can supply a more exact one.