Re: [Meditation Society of America] Actions without motives

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      -----
      On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 07:54:40 -0500, "Harvey Schneider" wrote:
      > It's usually worth our while to look for motives behind
      > actions.
      > We can say every action has its stake or comfort
      > seeking goal.
      > But wasn't there a fascination somewhere in the
      > world of literature and philosophy with motiveless
      > actions...
      -----

      Motiveless action is a central theme in the applied philosophy of Zen
      meditation which grapples with such issues as How do you "do"
      spontenaety? or How do you try to achieve a particular result in a given
      activity while at the same time being "completely" unconcerned with
      achieving it?

      -Doug.

      Sent by a member of the Mystic Village,
      the online Zen Meditation School.