Re: The cash value of comfort

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Harvey Schneider"
      <haarvi1@n...> wrote:
      > Sandeep used to - and probably still does - like to ask
      > posters involved in a discussion: "what is your stake
      > in what you are doing or saying?"
      > This question was good for uncovering motivations
      > and untangling confusions.
      > You could say that everyone has a stake in whatever
      > they do or say.
      > Which is a little like saying everyone acts to increase
      > their comfort.
      > Asking what stake someone has in a particular action
      > and asking what comfort someone seeks in pursuing a
      > particular path are heuristic questions.
      > Heuristic means "helping to discover or learn."
      > Heuristic questions needn't be made into all encompassing
      > principles to do their job and prove their value.
      > Harvey

      True, but perhaps the principle is all encompassing.

      I'm trying to find out. I'm not sure yet, and I'm not sure
      what value being sure will have, but for the time being I'm
      sure I haven't found a case which contradicts the idea.

      --jody.
    • freyjartist@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
        <<Actually Jody>>

        When I or someone else
        writes "Actually,____",
        do you ever hear
        that William F. Buckley, Jr. voice?

        a long drawn out......

        eeeeehhhhhchewuuuuaaaaalllly......

        It's all quite entertaining, "actually"  ;-)

        Freyja

        "Caution: I brake for hallucinations"

        (and I am very comfortable with that).