Re: [Meditation Society of America] Actions without motives

  • Harvey Schneider
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      Revised: translation inserted. hs.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Harvey Schneider" <haarvi1@...>
      To: <meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 7:48 AM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Actions without motives

      It's usually worth our while to look for motives behind
      actions.
      We can say every action has its stake or comfort
      seeking goal.
      But wasn't there a fascination somewhere in the
      world of literature and philosophy with motiveless
      actions.
      What comes to mind is Andre Gide.
      And the french phrase "actions gratuits".
      Gratuitous acts
      Anybody remember anything about this old concept?
      Harvey
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
        -----
        On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 07:54:40 -0500, "Harvey Schneider" wrote:
        > It's usually worth our while to look for motives behind
        > actions.
        > We can say every action has its stake or comfort
        > seeking goal.
        > But wasn't there a fascination somewhere in the
        > world of literature and philosophy with motiveless
        > actions...
        -----

        Motiveless action is a central theme in the applied philosophy of Zen
        meditation which grapples with such issues as How do you "do"
        spontenaety? or How do you try to achieve a particular result in a given
        activity while at the same time being "completely" unconcerned with
        achieving it?

        -Doug.

        Sent by a member of the Mystic Village,
        the online Zen Meditation School.