Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Comfort Thingy

  • Gregory Goode
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hi Jody and Harvey,

      Actually, you guys are among my favorite conversants!

      Is what you're talking about is the truth of the claim that the search for comfort is the *only* or the *basic underlying* motive for all actions?

      Is this meant to be an empirical sort of observation that would be made in psychology?  What does it have to do with the other insight, made on this list and many others, that "No statement is true," (even that one!)?

      --Greg

      At 08:58 PM 1/2/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Harvey  Schneider"
      <haarvi1@n...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > Hi Jodyji,
      >
      > Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on this.  And
      > thanks for bringing up the comparaitve example of our
      > need for continuous supplies of oxygen.
      >
      > With regard to our need for oxygen, it is clear that cases of
      > asphyxiation occur when our supply of oxygen is interrupted.
      > If asphyxiation did not occur when we don't have oxygen to
      > breath, that would be evidence that the idea that we need
      > oxygen is mistaken.  If no kind or amount of possible evidence
      > can be found to disprove the Comfort doctrine, that shows -
      > to my mind - that the doctrine is vacuous.
      >
      > My argument seems to me basic philosophical analysis.  I'm
      > surprised Greg hasn't weighed in on this, since he was a
      > philosophy professor.  Do you know if he is on this list?
      >
      > Greg likes to say that if the only color out there were brown,
      > there would be no way to speak of brown since there would
      > be no other color to contrast the brown color with.  I think my
      > point about comfort as the universal motivator is very similar.
      > Perhaps we could figure out a way to get Greg's input on this.
      >
      > With all brotherly love, as always....Harvey

      I see what you are getting at Harvey.  It's like calling the
      sky blue, or explaining why it's blue.  So what?  Knowing
      that doesn't, nor will it ever, change anything about the sky
      or its color.

      However, many seekers find themselves in situations where
      they are analyzing why this do this or do that.  They want to
      know what is it that causes them to seemingly get in their
      own way sometimes.

      I think the 'comfort doctrine' may be able to help in these
      instances.  I'm not 100% sure yet, but with Bruceji's and
      Sandeepji's encouragement, it certainly seems to be worth
      a really good look.

      --jody.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Jason Fishman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
        Good evening gents,

        Tagging along...

        Without the context of a contradictive proposition, such as black and white, all conceptual understandings contain perception and twinge for or against any other perception. Comfort factoring is automatically assumed to have a non-comfot (or perhaps suffering is a better word) tied to it. The dirt is brown, automatically assumes there is any color to dirt whatsoever, which also assumes that color is a common perception among the human species. The interesting thing about all this is the assumption basis and it's automatic inheritence.

        Perhaps it's all much akin to compairing apples and oranges, although both being fruits, what does one fruit really taste like to another perception or look like for that matter. The automatic assumption in play would state the it tastes much the same to a clean pallet. Fortunately, there tends to be some sort of basis to all this discussion, even if that basis is simple language. Without basis,  word dictionaries would vary much more wildly from perception to perception,  most likely to the point where all writings would be incoherent regardless of single character string recognition.

        Jody's interesting ploy, just as many (or most) other coherent statements, contains it's automatic assumption as well. Those not seeking comfort are quite comfortable, those that are, are seeking comfort from suffering. I have a headache, I seek asprin or some other comforting method :-)

        The assumption that all basis are reliant apon each other is a much more difficult process to explain. There may very well be quite a few more basic structures along side simple contradictions. Explaining those structures without some sort of comparison creates a tough undertaking.

        Peace and Love