Re: Comfort thingy

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep <sandeepc@b...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      comfort/security. All behavior is motivated by this need/drive, to find, maintain, and
      optimize comfort and/or the idea of comfort.

      > I would say 99% of behaviour.
      > Even masochism is really about such a particular comfort zone.

      I haven't found the 1% that isn't yet.

      > However personally prefer the term "security" to the term "comfort", as the driving
      force of the functioning through a manifest biological object.

      > > In this way, a mother can throw herself in front of the speeding car to save her
      children. The safety of her children was where >she found her comfort.

      > Here, Jody-san, I would suggest,... the built-in self-survival instinct "wired" into the
      biological organism labled "mother" gets overidden with the instinct of perpetuation
      of that particular line of species, via the "child".

      > It's not that a "mother" debates and decides over a duration of time that her child
      being saved is a more comfortable situation than otherwise,.....and then takes the
      plunge, after the deliberations.

      > Another instinct takes over.

      Of course. It was for the security of the species that the sacrifice
      occurs. That is, it happens to realize a greater comfort.

      > > Seeking comfort is the mother of all behavior, including the behavior to somehow
      transcend ourselves by 'becoming' realized.

      > Yes.
      > The drive towards to seek self-realization, as an objective state,...........is again the
      same insecurity at work.

      > Seeing that time demolishes everything,...................you seek the timeless, ........in
      the hope that the timeless will provide you eternal security, happiness, whatever, etc
      etc etc.

      It's why we (as individuals) are all here babbling on
      about enlightenment.

      --jody.
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        -----
        From: "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@...>
        > The human physical organism, and all life in general, is
        motivated to find comfort/security. All behavior is motivated by this
        need/drive, to find, maintain, and optimize comfort and/or the idea of
        comfort.
        -----

        Hello eveyone.

        The premise of this universal drive for comfort implies an equally
        universal experience of discomfort which creates, energizes the movement
        of that drive, does it not? If we were already fully comfortable there
        would be no motive force to support a behavioural drive towards comfort.

        - Doug.

        ___________________

        Sent by a member of the Mystic Village,
        the online Zen Meditation School.
        http://www.theMysticVillage.com
        ___________________
      • Bruce Morgen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          -----
          From: "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@...>

          The human physical organism, and all life in general, is

          motivated to find comfort/security. All behavior is motivated by this
          need/drive, to find, maintain, and optimize comfort and/or the idea of
          comfort.
          -----

          Hello eveyone.

          The premise of this universal drive for comfort implies an equally
          universal experience of discomfort which creates, energizes the movement
          of that drive, does it not? If we were already fully comfortable there
          would be no motive force to support a behavioural drive towards comfort.

          - Doug.

          One of the interesting aspects
          of the human psyche is that it
          appears quite capable of