Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Comfort thingy

  • sandeep
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004

      From: "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@...>
      Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 07:23 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Comfort thingy

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep <sandeepc@b...>

      wrote:
      > > Hiya Jody-san,
      > >
      > > Happy New year to
      you and all out here.

      > > Jody-san, much discussion on
      the comfort thingy.

      > > If you are moved to, could you
      possibly summarize what you are saying, as after
      > some time, I gave up
      wading through the maze of posts.

      > > Thank
      you.

      > Hey Sandeepji.
      >
      > Happy new year to you
      too.

      > The human physical organism, and all life in general, is
      motivated to find comfort/security. All behavior is motivated by this need/drive, to find, maintain, and optimize comfort and/or the idea of comfort.

      I would say 99% of behaviour.
      Even masochism is really about such a particular comfort zone.

      However personally prefer the term "security" to the term "comfort", as the driving force of the functioning through a manifest biological object.

      > In this way, a mother can throw
      herself in front of the speeding car  to save her children.  The safety of her children was where >she found her comfort.

      Here, Jody-san, I would suggest,... the built-in self-survival instinct "wired" into the biological organism labled "mother" gets overidden with the instinct of perpetuation of that particular line of species, via the "child".

      It's not that a "mother" debates and decides over a duration of time that her child being saved is a more comfortable situation than otherwise,.....and then takes the plunge, after the deliberations.

      Another instinct takes over.

      > Seeking comfort is the mother of all behavior, including
      the behavior to somehow transcend ourselves by 'becoming' realized.

      Yes.
      The drive towards to seek self-realization, as an objective state,...........is again the same insecurity at work.

      Seeing that time demolishes everything,...................you seek the timeless, ........in the hope that the timeless will provide you eternal security, happiness, whatever, etc etc etc.

    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        wrote:

> [...]

        I haven't found the 1% that isn't yet.

        > However personally prefer the term "security" to the term "comfort", as the driving
        force of the functioning through a manifest biological object.

        > > In this way, a mother can throw herself in front of the speeding car to save her
        children. The safety of her children was where >she found her comfort.

        > Here, Jody-san, I would suggest,... the built-in self-survival instinct "wired" into the
        biological organism labled "mother" gets overidden with the instinct of perpetuation
        of that particular line of species, via the "child".

        > It's not that a "mother" debates and decides over a duration of time that her child
        being saved is a more comfortable situation than otherwise,.....and then takes the
        plunge, after the deliberations.

        > Another instinct takes over.

        Of course. It was for the security of the species that the sacrifice
        occurs. That is, it happens to realize a greater comfort.

        > > Seeking comfort is the mother of all behavior, including the behavior to somehow
        transcend ourselves by 'becoming' realized.

        > Yes.
        > The drive towards to seek self-realization, as an objective state,...........is again the
        same insecurity at work.

        > Seeing that time demolishes everything,...................you seek the timeless, ........in
        the hope that the timeless will provide you eternal security, happiness, whatever, etc
        etc etc.

        It's why we (as individuals) are all here babbling on
        about enlightenment.

        --jody.
      • Doug
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          -----
          From: "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@...>
          > The human physical organism, and all life in general, is
          motivated to find comfort/security. All behavior is motivated by this
          need/drive, to find, maintain, and optimize comfort and/or the idea of
          comfort.
          -----

          Hello eveyone.

          The premise of this universal drive for comfort implies an equally
          universal experience of discomfort which creates, energizes the movement
          of that drive, does it not? If we were already fully comfortable there
          would be no motive force to support a behavioural drive towards comfort.

          - Doug.

          ___________________

          Sent by a member of the Mystic Village,
          the online Zen Meditation School.
          http://www.theMysticVillage.com
          ___________________
        • Bruce Morgen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
            -----
            From: "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@...>

            The human physical organism, and all life in general, is

            motivated to find comfort/security. All behavior is motivated by this
            need/drive, to find, maintain, and optimize comfort and/or the idea of
            comfort.
            -----

            Hello eveyone.

            The premise of this universal drive for comfort implies an equally
            universal experience of discomfort which creates, energizes the movement
            of that drive, does it not? If we were already fully comfortable there
            would be no motive force to support a behavioural drive towards comfort.

            - Doug.

            One of the interesting aspects
            of the human psyche is that it
            appears quite capable of