Comfort Thingy

  • tosime
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hello Sandeep,

      Thanks for asking for the summary - that's exactly what I also needed.

      And thanks Jody for the summary.

      My humble view is that the comfort/security perspective is simply a
      temporary manifestation of a greater universal movement. As we achieve
      higher levels of comfort/security we find ourselves freer to learn new
      truths about the world - this seeking of higher truths appears a more
      fundamental movement, like evolution.

      May I thank all members here for such a wonderful year of sharing
      knowledge and experiences.

      ...Tony
    • Bruce Morgen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
        tosime wrote:
        Hello Sandeep,

        Thanks for asking for the summary - that's exactly what I also needed.

        And thanks Jody for the summary.

        My humble view is that the comfort/security perspective is simply a
        temporary manifestation of a greater universal movement. As we achieve
        higher levels of comfort/security we find ourselves freer to learn new
        truths about the world - this seeking of higher truths appears a more
        fundamental movement, like evolution.

        Perhaps, but it behooves us
        to look at all seeking in
        the light of the (imo)
        prevalant drive for comfort
        in one form or another.  Is
        not the yearning for "higher
        truths" more of the same,
        albeit all decked out in
        "spiritual" raiment?  It's
        as if we are at long last
        insisting on nothing less
        than the penultimate
        comfort, the universal meta-
        comfort that obviates the
        need for all the mundane
        (material, emotional,
        social, etc.) comforts, the
        comfort that renders us
        invulnerable to all
        discomfort and transforms
        us into beings of
        unflappable serenity!

        May I thank all members here for such a wonderful year of sharing
        knowledge and experiences.

        You're more than welcome,
        Tony -- Happy New Year!

      • Nina
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
          <editor@j...> wrote:

          Hello Bruce,

          I was wondering if you realize that your messages
          are formatted in such a way that each paragraph
          comes out as one long line. These long lines are
          obscured by the Yahoo Group ads in the webread
          mode. Though I don't know the reason your letters
          would be doing that, perhaps intentional line returns
          at widths narrower than the margin-to-ad width
          would work to fix that and make it possible
          for all of us, or at least for me, to read
          your posts.

          Happy New Year, everyone!

          Nina
        • Bruce Morgen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
            Nina wrote:
            <editor@j...> wrote:

            Hello Bruce,

            I was wondering if you realize that your messages
            are formatted in such a way that each paragraph
            comes out as one long line. These long lines are
            obscured by the Yahoo Group ads in the webread
            mode. Though I don't know the reason your letters
            would be doing that, perhaps intentional line returns
            at widths narrower than the margin-to-ad width
            would work to fix that and make it possible
            for all of us, or at least for me, to read
            your posts.

            I already use intentional hard
            carriage returns at the end of
            every line and the messages
            come back looking fine here --
            are you reading the list on
            the web?  If so, Yahoo is the
            culprit and I'm not sure what
            I can do about it -- hmm, there
            is one thing, and if this one
            looks OK it's right thing.  :-)
            Happy New Year, everyone!

            ...and so say all of us!

            Much love -- Bruce
          • Jason Fishman
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
              Hi Nina,

              Yes I noticed that in the group, reading posts from Bruce and others does that. Although I get the messages sent to my e-mail box anymore, which ofr me fixes that formmating problem and makes it easier to sift through posts. I'm sure you have your reasons for not getting it dropped in your mailbox directly, but it does make easy work of reading and responding to posts.

              Peace and Love

              Nina <murrkis@...> wrote:
              <editor@j...> wrote:

              Hello Bruce,

              I was wondering if you realize that your messages
              are formatted in such a way that each paragraph
              comes out as one long line. These long lines are
              obscured by the Yahoo Group ads in the webread
              mode. Though I don't know the reason your letters
              would be doing that, perhaps intentional line returns
              at widths narrower than the margin-to-ad width
              would work to fix that and make it possible
              for all of us, or at least for me, to read
              your posts.

              Happy New Year, everyone!

              Nina

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • jodyrrr
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tosime" <tosime@b...> wrote:
                > Hello Sandeep,
                >
                > Thanks for asking for the summary - that's exactly what I also needed.
                >
                > And thanks Jody for the summary.
                >
                > My humble view is that the comfort/security perspective is simply a
                > temporary manifestation of a greater universal movement. As we achieve
                > higher levels of comfort/security we find ourselves freer to learn new
                > truths about the world - this seeking of higher truths appears a more
                > fundamental movement, like evolution.

                Why do we seek higher truth? For comfort's sake.

                Learning and evolving is moving toward more efficient configurations for living,
                that is: finding, maintaining, and optimizing comfort.

                > May I thank all members here for such a wonderful year of sharing
                > knowledge and experiences.
                >
                > ...Tony

                Have a great year Tony.

                --jody.
              • sandeep
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004

                  asking for the summary - that's exactly what I also needed.

                  > And
                  thanks Jody for the summary.

                  > My humble view is that the
                  comfort/security perspective is simply a
                  > temporary manifestation of a
                  greater universal movement. As we achieve
                  > higher levels of
                  comfort/security we find ourselves freer to learn new
                  > truths about the
                  world - this seeking of higher truths appears a more
                  > fundamental
                  movement, like evolution.

                  Yes.
                  The belief that  one has achieved "higher" levels of comfort/security, ......the belief that there are "newer" truths to be discovered, the belief that there is a discrete self to discover these "newer" and "higher" truths,.....

                  .....all nuances of that one movement, in the moment.

                  And not just ideations,.............but even the apparently substantive solid Universe and the elements that constitue the Universe,....
                  nuances of different vibrational modes of that one movement.

                  Some time back,.....a prattling........

                  Notice, how different vibrating movements, throw up appearances of different wave-forms.

                  There is no existential reality to the "wave-form", just the vibrating points on your PC screen.

                  Now this depiction are various movements in the 2 dimensions of your PC screen.

                  Imagine, infinite dimensions, and thus infinite modes of vibrating patterns,........throwing up Universes and elements making up Universes.

                  It is thus pointed,...

                  ... vibrating energy patterns,..

                  ...a particular pattern, throws up, a fornicating cat on a tin-roof, ....another a meditating saint, while yet another, a regular Jane-in-an-organization,........

                  ... a struggling ant, an exploding super-nova,..... the expanse of a Milky Way,......... a Lotus flower in a dirt pond.

                  The Giant Stars, .......... a blade of  grass.

                  Each and every manifest object with their varying characteristics, attributes, qualities, .........this entire phenomenality of which this Universe is one mere bubble.....

                  ....."objective expressions" of Energy-in-movement.

                  Just like the above wave-forms, are the particular objective expression of a particular mode of movement.

                • Nina
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2004
                    <editor@j...> wrote:
                    > I already use intentional hard
                    carriage returns at the end of
                    every line and the messages
                    come back looking fine here --
                    are you reading the list on
                    the web? If so, Yahoo is the
                    culprit and I'm not sure what
                    I can do about it -- hmm, there
                    is one thing, and if this one
                    looks OK it's right thing. :-)

                    Yep, I'm reading on the web.
                    Odd, that the format of your
                    posts changes, but I'll abide. :)

                    Nina
                  • tosime
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2, 2004
                      Hi Jody,

                      Thanks for responding so well to so many replies to your comfort quest!

                      I am not sure I understand some of the more philosophical remarks, so I
                      might be repeating some of them here.

                      We are an inseparable part of a greater universe which is a sort of
                      closed system since nothing can be created or destroyed. Anything we do,
                      like seeking comfort, is only a small part of a greater movement within
                      the larger system. All we can really say is that our seeking comfort is
                      part of a universal movement towards some "end" state.

                      The usefulness of the comfort idea, I feel, should relate to the bigger
                      picture since that is where we are going one way or another. In short, I
                      don't see comfort as an end in itself, since it does not lead to the
                      "end" state of the universe. What we can do is relate it to some greater
                      universal truth which it points to.

                      ...Tony