phootball filosofy Re: Pragmatic Presupposition

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
      > snip
      >
      > And I find charisma repugnant.
      > > >
      > > > Love
      > > > Bobby G.

      > > What does charisma have to do with this
      > > discussion, and why would it be so
      > > repugnant?
      > >
      > > Nina

      > Hi Nina,
      >
      > Did you ever see Neon Deon Sanders play football? Boy did
      > he make others uncomfortable! His charisma was undeniable,
      > as was his talent, but he was probably more repugnant than any
      > other other person ever to play football. So, a semi-interesting
      > conclusion could be made about how charisma and skill are not
      > necessarily survival skills. As a matter of probable fact, in his
      > case, he was the player other teams wanted to hurt the most.
      >
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob

      Hmm, I don't know much about football, though I can
      recognize the shape of a footballball (hehe).

      Anyway, it seems that a different view may be taken:

      That the only thing that counts, as regards Neon Deon
      Sanders and his manifestation of 'survival skills' on
      the football field, is that NDS (ohmygod - this must
      be a sign!) use his considerable repulsion, talent and
      skill to bring glory, and thus comfort and survival,
      to his own team.

      It doesn't matter one ounce that the other team finds
      him repulsive, or that fans find him repulsive,
      or that the other teams might want to hurt him -
      what matters is 'what is happening':

      "Are we winning?"

      Football, and other sports, are actually a bit more
      frank about this underlying motivation than other
      'arts'.

      Nina

      P.S. Yea, it didn't go over my head that NDS was
      spoken about in past-tense; I chose to bring
      the example into the present-tense.
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
        > Charisma is repugnant or at least repellent to me because it
        > influences the mind. I think ideas should be considered regardless
        > of personality. Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.
        > Religious leaders just outright lie and get by with it.
        > If anyone out there has ever been sucked into a deal
        > with someone who knew you were doing the thing they wanted
        > for the wrong reasons then you understand. Why blame the person
        > who is seeking comfort for themselves by screwing you? It is
        > like blaming an animal for wanting to eat you. Why not look
        > at the personal magnetism, catalogue it as undesirable, and
        > set up a signaling system in yourself to be repelled
        > by the pull when you feel it? I felt that pull in this discusson.
        >
        > I heard Ram Das on tape once and was amazed at the
        > convincing tone he took when speaking. He was talking about
        > his guru's magic. F. Lee Bailey, the attorney, looked into a
        > tv camera and said, "I don't believe Jim Baker (the Evangelist)
        > took one thin dime", and I believed him for an instant.
        > It is a form of propaganda.
        >
        > The bad thing in this is that it is misuse of the gift of
        > communication. What could have been done with that gift was not.
        > Thanks for asking,
        > Love
        > Bobby G.

        Hmm, well, just to be sure I understood what charisma
        means, I looked it up. I think it is interesting to note
        that there is a definition (personal attractiveness that
        enables you to influence others), but it is the 'related
        terms' at the bottom of the page that seem to indicate
        the flavorings this word, charisma, can carry.
        Thus, the repulsion.

        http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/charisma

        Have you ever noticed that what you resist persists,
        and even grows in power?

        Looking at the trail of this conversation, I see that
        when Bobby G. steps forward to disprove the theories
        around the will to comfort, that his opponents (jus'
        lahk in foobahl, man!) step forward out of the cyber
        abyss to prove and reprove. The more Bobby G. attempts
        to disprove, the more the opponents prove and reprove.
        That's a really interesting foundational piece to
        the role charisma might play in 'convincing'...
        that when one recognizes the appearance of charisma
        in another, that it is only one's own charisma reflected...
        like the moon reflecting the light of the sun...

        Repulsion is a flavoring, charisma is 'the way things are'.

        Charisma, lol, is another tool to comfort. Which, btw,
        you seem to be avoiding like a locust plague. :)

        Ok, I'm mainly just pulling your chain (no, it isn't
        repulsive to me), so I'll step down now and let you
        'take it away!'

        big ole grin,
        Nina
      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
          <murrkis@y...> wrote:
          > > Charisma is repugnant or at least repellent to me because it
          > > influences the mind. I think ideas should be considered
          regardless
          > > of personality. Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.
          > > Religious leaders just outright lie and get by with it.
          > > If anyone out there has ever been sucked into a deal
          > > with someone who knew you were doing the thing they wanted
          > > for the wrong reasons then you understand. Why blame the person
          > > who is seeking comfort for themselves by screwing you? It is
          > > like blaming an animal for wanting to eat you. Why not look
          > > at the personal magnetism, catalogue it as undesirable, and
          > > set up a signaling system in yourself to be repelled
          > > by the pull when you feel it? I felt that pull in this discusson.
          > >
          > > I heard Ram Das on tape once and was amazed at the
          > > convincing tone he took when speaking. He was talking about
          > > his guru's magic. F. Lee Bailey, the attorney, looked into a
          > > tv camera and said, "I don't believe Jim Baker (the Evangelist)
          > > took one thin dime", and I believed him for an instant.
          > > It is a form of propaganda.
          > >
          > > The bad thing in this is that it is misuse of the gift of
          > > communication. What could have been done with that gift was not.
          > > Thanks for asking,
          > > Love
          > > Bobby G.
          >
          > Hmm, well, just to be sure I understood what charisma
          > means, I looked it up. I think it is interesting to note
          > that there is a definition (personal attractiveness that
          > enables you to influence others), but it is the 'related
          > terms' at the bottom of the page that seem to indicate
          > the flavorings this word, charisma, can carry.
          > Thus, the repulsion.
          >
          > http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/charisma

          Nina:
          That is quite a list of related terms. They remind me of
          the archaic meaning of the word "glamour".

          > Have you ever noticed that what you resist persists,
          > and even grows in power?

          Yes.

          > Looking at the trail of this conversation, I see that
          > when Bobby G. steps forward to disprove the theories
          > around the will to comfort, that his opponents (jus'
          > lahk in foobahl, man!) step forward out of the cyber
          > abyss to prove and reprove. The more Bobby G. attempts
          > to disprove, the more the opponents prove and reprove.

          I take your point here, Nina.

          > That's a really interesting foundational piece to
          > the role charisma might play in 'convincing'...
          > that when one recognizes the appearance of charisma
          > in another, that it is only one's own charisma reflected...
          > like the moon reflecting the light of the sun...

          That follows nicely from what you say above.

          > Repulsion is a flavoring, charisma is 'the way things are'.

          I think it is useful to
          understanding to be repulsed by charisma. It allows one
          to look behind the cloak and not led around by the nose.

          > Charisma, lol, is another tool to comfort. Which, btw,
          > you seem to be avoiding like a locust plague. :)

          I cannot see how it is a tool for the person
          being influenced if they are misled. The anticipated
          comfort may not be experienced
          so the comfort of believing it will,
          is canceled by the disappointment.

          I avoid it in myself as well as others. I
          do not like to influence people.

          And I don't like to influence myself either, whatever that means.
          Maybe it is overthinking an issue.

          > Ok, I'm mainly just pulling your chain (no, it isn't
          > repulsive to me), so I'll step down now and let you
          > 'take it away!'

          Well I always like talking to you. I guess because you
          like to think laterally and keep a good humor.

          Charisma is a burr under my saddle. TV ads that command me
          to do as I am told in a tone intended to stimulate cause me to
          disrespect the participants.

          The tendency to be
          sucked in by false gurus can be canceled if we recognize that
          tendency in ourselves and develop the sense of discomfort when
          we feel charisma or undue persuasiveness.

          Love,
          Bobby G.

          > big ole grin,
          > Nina
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 31, 2003
            <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
            > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
            > > > Charisma is repugnant or at least repellent to me because it
            > > > influences the mind. I think ideas should be considered
            > regardless
            > > > of personality. Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.
            > > > Religious leaders just outright lie and get by with it.
            > > > If anyone out there has ever been sucked into a deal
            > > > with someone who knew you were doing the thing they wanted
            > > > for the wrong reasons then you understand. Why blame the person
            > > > who is seeking comfort for themselves by screwing you? It is
            > > > like blaming an animal for wanting to eat you. Why not look
            > > > at the personal magnetism, catalogue it as undesirable, and
            > > > set up a signaling system in yourself to be repelled
            > > > by the pull when you feel it? I felt that pull in this
            discusson.

            > > > I heard Ram Das on tape once and was amazed at the
            > > > convincing tone he took when speaking. He was talking about
            > > > his guru's magic. F. Lee Bailey, the attorney, looked into a
            > > > tv camera and said, "I don't believe Jim Baker (the Evangelist)
            > > > took one thin dime", and I believed him for an instant.
            > > > It is a form of propaganda.
            > > >
            > > > The bad thing in this is that it is misuse of the gift of
            > > > communication. What could have been done with that gift was not.
            > > > Thanks for asking,
            > > > Love
            > > > Bobby G.
            > >
            > > Hmm, well, just to be sure I understood what charisma
            > > means, I looked it up. I think it is interesting to note
            > > that there is a definition (personal attractiveness that
            > > enables you to influence others), but it is the 'related
            > > terms' at the bottom of the page that seem to indicate
            > > the flavorings this word, charisma, can carry.
            > > Thus, the repulsion.
            > >
            > > http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/charisma
            >
            > Nina:
            > That is quite a list of related terms. They remind me of
            > the archaic meaning of the word "glamour".

            Huh, yes, they do! Knowing the history of that word
            really lends another layer to the way 'glamour' is
            presented today... particularly 'false glamour' or
            'camp glamour'... in instances where glamour is
            consciously taken on as a mask.

            It is interesting how even when one doesn't intellectually
            or consciously make those connections to archaic meanings,
            those meanings still have a resonance. Astounding!

            What fun, thanks, Bobby!

            > > Have you ever noticed that what you resist persists,
            > > and even grows in power?
            >
            > Yes.
            >

            > > Looking at the trail of this conversation, I see that
            > > when Bobby G. steps forward to disprove the theories
            > > around the will to comfort, that his opponents (jus'
            > > lahk in foobahl, man!) step forward out of the cyber
            > > abyss to prove and reprove. The more Bobby G. attempts
            > > to disprove, the more the opponents prove and reprove.
            >
            > I take your point here, Nina.
            >
            > > That's a really interesting foundational piece to
            > > the role charisma might play in 'convincing'...
            > > that when one recognizes the appearance of charisma
            > > in another, that it is only one's own charisma reflected...
            > > like the moon reflecting the light of the sun...
            >
            > That follows nicely from what you say above.
            >

            > > Repulsion is a flavoring, charisma is 'the way things are'.
            >
            > I think it is useful to understanding to be
            > repulsed by charisma. It allows one to look
            > behind the cloak and not led around by the nose.

            Oh yes, agreed about looking behind the cloak and
            not being led around by the nose. I guess I wouldn't
            use the word repulsed; perhaps personally I would use
            the word 'recognition'. Actually, charisma and its
            relative, glamour, are wonderfully playful embodiments;
            I can't find anything inherently wrong with those
            embodiments. The trick is not avoiding them, but
            understanding them as 'play'...

            > > Charisma, lol, is another tool to comfort. Which, btw,
            > > you seem to be avoiding like a locust plague. :)
            >
            > I cannot see how it is a tool for the person
            > being influenced if they are misled. The anticipated
            > comfort may not be experienced
            > so the comfort of believing it will,
            > is canceled by the disappointment.
            >
            > I avoid it in myself as well as others. I
            > do not like to influence people.
            >
            > And I don't like to influence myself either, whatever that means.
            > Maybe it is overthinking an issue.

            The key to 'being misled' is that one doesn't
            realize one is being misled. In that, there can
            be the comfort of ignorance. Also, a person can be
            blinded by their desire for comfort, such that
            one is more easily misled.

            At any rate, comfort may be canceled by the
            realization that one has been misled, but the
            desire for comfort is not canceled by such a
            realization.

            Here is another way of thinking about charisma
            and glamour: shamanism. Essentially, shamanism
            is a manner of connecting oneself or another
            to an overlooked or under-realized aspect. It is
            influence, but not necessarily of a political
            sort. (I sense you are thinking of a political
            influence...)

            Also, I think of your paintings and where they
            take the person who looks upon them... that is
            a sort of influence, if only by sharing out your
            perspective and making it available for another
            to 'take on'. Passive or active, it is influence.

            In fluence... In fluid ence... essence of fluid...
            that's an interesting word... flowing like water.
            Can it be contained? By what means? And to what
            degree? Or, does it flow freely, like water
            through my fingers? Or may I drink it in, like
            water from a cup?

            Or, is it more like the air we breath, and the
            fluidity of our breaths, moving in and out, not
            just within my body, but yours... we all breath
            the same air, and so, we are all arising from
            that same influence... how can I say I do not
            like to influence others? I am part and parcel
            to that influence...

            > > Ok, I'm mainly just pulling your chain (no, it isn't
            > > repulsive to me), so I'll step down now and let you
            > > 'take it away!'
            >
            > Well I always like talking to you. I guess because you
            > like to think laterally and keep a good humor.
            >
            > Charisma is a burr under my saddle. TV ads that command me
            > to do as I am told in a tone intended to stimulate cause me to
            > disrespect the participants.

            I see what you're saying. Still, in the broader view,
            charisma is no biggy...

            > The tendency to be sucked in by false gurus
            > can be canceled if we recognize that
            > tendency in ourselves and develop the
            > sense of discomfort when we feel
            > charisma or undue persuasiveness.

            Hmm... I can see that (the tendency towards)
            'excessive application of charisma or undue will
            towards persuasiveness' might rebound into
            feelings of discomfort or repulsion, but
            I'm not following that one should develop
            the sense of discomfort one feels in
            recognizing that tendency. Quite the opposite -
            I say recognize away, but develop a broader
            sense of how this figures into the big picture,
            rather than condemning it, and reinforcing that
            condemnation with feelings of discomfort.
            Ah, am I tending towards comfort? Lol...

            What is all this worry about getting sucked
            in by false gurus? ;) I say, let's apply one
            of Frankl's logotherapy techniques:

            What's the worst that could possibly happen
            by getting sucked in by a false guru? Flesh
            that out fully, put yourself in it (eek,
            shamanic!), and then ask the question:

            How bad can this be?