Re: survival instinct/drive for comfort

  • carolina112900
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2003
      wrote:

      > > > I still see 'comfort' and 'surviving better'
      > > > as basically the same thing....
      > > >
      > > > because, even in the case of suicide,
      > > > the driving thought would probably be,
      > > > "I'll be better off without this pain."
      > > >

      > > Once "better" is involved it's
      > > no longer "survival" instinct --
      > > it's the drive for comfort!  :-)>>
      > >

      > > F: OK...howuhvah -- one can't experience
      > > comfortable/uncomfortable unless they are
      > > 'surviving', or think there is
      > > a possibility of surviving...
      > > either as a body or some kind of
      > > entity.
      > > So, the drive for comfort is
      > > one and the same as the drive to
      > > survive better. Synonyms.
      > > To me, both seem to be subsets
      > > of the survival instinct.
      >
      > Comfort is the icing on the survival cake.
      >
      > One must first survive to then flourish.
      >
      > If one has not met his/her survival needs,
      > one would find much comfort in the basics.
      > When one has the basics, one can then
      > optimize.
      >
      > Call it survival, or call it comfort. It's the
      > same thing.

      And then there's 'security'

      comfort: To soothe, console.
      A state of ease and satisfaction
      with bodily wants.
      Contented and at ease.
      Adequate and sufficient.

      security: Freedom from danger or risk; safety.
      Freedom from care, anxiety or doubt.
      Something that protects, shelters or makes safe.
      Precautions taken against crime, sabotage,
      escape or attack.

      Freyja