Re: comfort seeking - jody

  • carolina112900
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2003
      wrote:
      > > <<I boldly predict that any behavior that is described to me
      > > can be shown to be comfort seeking, just as your niece has
      > > done.>>
      > >
      > > F: It's as good an investigation as any.
      > >
      > > <<The jury's still out on whether knowing this can make a
      > > difference in a life.>>
      > >

      > > F: As much difference as any other conceptualizations
      > > /hooplas.
      >
      > True. Hooplas are hooplas. However, some hooplas are
      > more helpful, to certain individuals, than others.>>

      F: Sure. Hooplas to eradicate, correct or modify
      other hooplas. Something like.....using a thorn to
      remove another thorn.

      I'd like
      > to construct a hoopla that describes my process in terms of
      > the fundamentals of personality development.

      F: Fundamentals?....like a Maslow hierarchy?

      > > Is your investigation of 'comfort seeking'
      > > driven by the possibility of it making a difference in a life?
      What
      > > difference?
      >
      > I've been asked to contribute a chapter to a book about tantra.
      > I want to come up with an alternative framework which helps
      > describe what I believe tantra to be, a system of sorts which
      > describes what happens in the psychological realms when one
      > decides to energetically transgress spiritual traditions.

      F: Sounds interesting. I'll be curious to
      know how it pans out.

      > I know the illusion of personal identity is supported in the brain
      > by the constellation of significances. These make up the personality
      > and its identity structures. The drive toward comfort is the
      underlying
      > construction crew of these significances.

      F: This constellation of significances all bound
      up with conditioning. When there is non-identification,
      a breaking free of these conditionings can occur.

      So, if I have formed a
      > significance structure because my grandpa molested me (hypothetical
      > case here only folks), it was the impact to my comfort that formed
      > the foundation of that complex.

      F: Maybe that could also be turned around and looked at:
      It was the foundation
      of that complex (identifying with being molested by grandpa)
      that formed my idea of comfort. If I never knew that
      being molested by grandpa was a threat to my comfort,
      then I wouldn't identify with it and make a complex
      out of it.

      > At any rate, that's what I'm trying to put together at the moment.

      F: Maybe a theory of how conditioning and identification
      informs the whole idea of comfort.